1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Bolts to get Carrol if they continue to lose?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Showmeyourbolt, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

Personally, I'd rather have Meyer or Tedford if it comes down to this.

2. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86

They should have blown AJ out and got him last offseason. Then we'd have all this talent locked up for 4 or 5 more years and a legitimate coach to take advantage of it.

We needed a coach more than a GM, but we went with the GM and trashed the coaching staff. Stupid.

I'd rather have McDaniel myself and lock down the coaching spot for 20 years with a great young coach.

3. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    No ****, that would be a disaster. Norv may, may not be the answer at HC but firing AJ would be unbelievably stupid.

4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Pete did not impress me when he coached the Patriots.:no:

5. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    It was AJ's staff. AJ has to have accountability.

But can Carrol run a draft as well as AJ? Will the scouting staff stay with Carrol if AJ goes?:icon_shrug:

6. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86

Why? We have the talent locked up for a while now. This is our window regardless of what AJ does.

What we needed was a coach and AJ was too stubborn to allow a decent coach to come in and run the team. He had to have Cottrell as DC. THAT mistake trumps all in this case because he just wasted at least one year, maybe two of our Super Bowl window.

If AJ couldn't act like an adult and let the HC pick his staff, he should have been blown out the door on his ***.

TED FREAKING COTTRELL. No wonder Norv got the job.

7. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    id rather get a good coordinator (Rex Ryan or Riveria) but would be very hapy with Carrol AS A COACH!

If it takes AJ to get him, i dont want him

8. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

I agree 100 percent. I'm disenchanted with AJ, but I don't want a coach to have full control.

9. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    after a lot of arguing leisure turned me into a believer in carroll. I would DEFINITELY give him total control as he knows how to recruit players and get them to play. He has grown as a coach during his college tenure. Urban Meyer signed a huge extension like four months ago and he will be staying at Florida and I'm not high on him at all. Same with Tedford. I would welcome Carroll completely.

10. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    And why would Carrol leave USC?

11. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152

I think with a good offensive Coordinator (NFL coordinator!), Urban Meyer could be a great NFL Head Coach

The guy is an amazing motivator and great gameplanner

I dont think his offense would work in the NFL, thus the reason i think he would need a good OC, but everything else about him tells me he would make a great HC and would easily be my #1 choice if he was a real option and could be had without letting AJ go

12. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    $$$$??
    Maybe Pride??
    Just to prove he can??

I dont think he would, but would understand if he did

13. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    With all due respect that's simply not true. Marty *** ****ed us on the way out the door, just like he did KC in his last stint.

Had Dean fired Marty following the NE loss, Wade would be our head coach.

I'll agree that at this point Cottrell looks like a mistake. Come on Teddy prove me wrong.

14. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    mark mangino is an amazing motivator too

15. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    No one wanted to fire Marty after the NE loss. They didn't want to fire him until all the assistants left and then the fight started over who would be the DC. Marty wanted to pick his own DC. AJ wanted him to hire Cottrell. That errupted and led to Marty being fired.

What I was saying applied to AFTER Marty was fired anyway.

AJ stuck to his guns wanting Cottrell regardless of who the head coach was going to be. The head coach was going to have to accept Cottrell as DC. That limited the candidates severely IMHO.

We ended up getting a loser like Norv because he fit AJ's requirement for allowing Cottrell to be the DC.

AJ's ***** for Cottrell screwed up this entire offseason plain and simple. Now its killing our regular season. If we would have fired AJ we would have the same talent level for the next 4 or 5 years at least (our Super Bowl window) and we could have had a legitimate NFL coaching staff for that run instead of the wasted year out of LT's career and the uncertainty about the future. AJ's BS will still affect who wants to interview here after we fire Norv. The only way to fix it is to fire AJ.

16. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Gee, what a surprise! :kisskiss:

The Chargers hire Pete Carroll as GM and HC, I'll join Tucker/Q as a Raider fan. Not really but you get my point.

Give me just 1 reason that you/leisure think (don't hurt yourselves) that Pete Carroll would be better than AJ Smith. :deadhorse:

17. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    One reason is easy. We need a coach right now more than we need someone to increase the talent level through the draft. Coaching is priority #1 because we already have good enough talent locked up to win in this league.

AJ can't coach and that is what we need...a coach.

I'd prefer McDaniel though over Carroll, but would love to have Carroll over our current mess.

18. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Mark me down as one who doesn't want Pete Carroll as our coach.

19. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Carroll has one of the best jobs in college football .. I doubt he would want to leave that situation.

20. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    So basically people here would be willing to give Pete Carroll (who has never been successful in the NFL) more power then AJ Smith could dream of having. Uh....no

21. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Sounds like another Mike Riley play to me.:tdown:

22. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    100000% dead on!!!

spanos needs to tell AJ just worry about our pick and leave the HC to some one else. we CANNOT LOSE AJ AS OUR GM!!!!!!!

23. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Carroll is just a good college recruiter and Deano would be a fool to fire AJ and give ALL control the Carroll. I sure would hate to end up with a bunch of USC NFL busts on our team the next two drafts.

24. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Carroll doesn't have to recruit. Players just flock to USC. :yes:

25. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    No coach, no one from any team should have that much control over the operation. The devil is in the details, as in too many for one person to track at once. There are only so many hours in a day. Burn out is inevitable.

26. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Yeah? They werent doing that very well BEFORE he got there :no:

27. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    You mean the same AJ Smith that released Wesley Welker and virtually caused us to miss the playoffs in 2005 and who drafts pussies and hires soft coaches :icon_shrug: Hanestly I came name 5 other teams who have had better combined drafts from 2004-2007. AJ is expendable.