1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Bolts to play sans Jackson, McNeill

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Bolts to play sans Jackson, McNeill

[​IMG]

A.J. Smith, looking at a future without Marcus McNeill and Vincent Jackson, says the Bolts will "rally as a team" without the all-pro pair.

By Kevin Acee, UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 at 9:44 p.m.

The Chargers had their own deadline, just so there was no confusion, no one’s saying they didn’t have enough time.

Not that it mattered.

Vincent Jackson and Marcus McNeill were committed to their cause through June 14 and also committed through June 15.

While it was generally accepted that NFL teams had the right to replace the original tenders with lower amounts if their restricted free agents did not sign by 9 p.m. PDT Monday, General Manager A.J. Smith was waiting by the phone an extra 24 hours before deciding, for all intents and purposes, to consider two of his Pro Bowlers scratches for the majority of the 2010 season.

“We lost a couple of great players today, and it hurts,” Smith said in response to a question about the Chargers being better with Jackson and McNeill. “We are trying to build a championship team, and losing the services of both Vincent and Marcus just made that more difficult — but not impossible. In due time, Coach (Norv) Turner will name two new starters. We will rally as a team, compete and try to win as many games as we can.”

Jackson and McNeill are expected to sit out until mid-November, reporting to the team as late as possible to still be able to play in 2010 and earn an accrued season.

As of Tuesday night, 10 other restricted free agents remained unsigned. Of those, five could be affected by having their tenders lowered like Jackson and McNeill. The others fall into the same category as Shawne Merriman, whose tender of $3.269 million is already 110 percent of his 2009 salary, the minimum a team can pay an RFA.

Reportedly, at least four of the other five RFAs in the same boat as the Chargers pair have been informed their tenders will be reduced. However, no players are forgoing more money than Jackson or McNeill.

McNeill will lose $2.568 million as his tender is dropped to $600,000. Should he not report until after the Chargers’ 10th game, which numerous sources have said he will and the Chargers are expecting, he will make $212,000.

Jackson will have his tender dropped from $3.268 million to $583,000 (a $2.685 million reduction). He would make $206,000 if he doesn’t report until six games are left, though it remains unclear how an expected suspension of two to four games for his past DUIs will affect him.

Sources have said that Jackson and McNeill are resigned to sitting out until they are traded, receive long-term deals or until the 10th week of the season passes — whichever comes first. Neither of the first two options is expected to transpire.

The players and their advisers have declined to speak publicly.

Smith has not said much aside from making it clear he is preparing to move forward with the players the Chargers have. On Tuesday, he acknowledged the past few weeks have been trying.

“It was a very unpleasant situation we all had to deal with,” Smith said. “It came to a conclusion today. We will now move forward and focus on the upcoming season.”

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/jun/15/bolts-to-play-sans-jackson-mcneill/

2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,418
    I'm forced to wonder how they'll be greeted in the locker room by players who have been busting their buts to win games while they've been sitting on their asses for more money.

3. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    Really? This sucks. I say pay em. Are all the powers that be in the NFL really going to let there be no season next year. Really? Direct tV? The owners? Vegas? All the revenue? Comon. I'm leaning towards no. So why not pay these guys?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lightning_Dynasty

Lightning_Dynasty Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +310
    If they do choose to sit out until after the 10th game, I say leave them benched. They obviousy don't enjoy the game enough to accept 3 million dollars, so there's no reason they should be allowed to play that late in the season. They want to sit out, let them sit out and then cut em next year. The Chargers don't need players like that.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    We do not negotiate with terrorists.

(credit to Ant for pointing it out elsewhere)

6. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,418
    Exactly.

If you give in to strong arm tactics you set a poor precedent.

7. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    If McNeill doesnt sign, we still have Tra. If Jackson doesn't sign, we still have Philip and a whole boatload of UDFA's waiting to get their turn, so this isn't a huge concern. Nonetheless having Jackson back would really help our offense but what can we do? At least Floyd has his chance now to be a "go to" guy

• Like Like x 1
  8. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    After the season starts AJ should put up a "NO VACANCY" sign. It sure would be nice to tell my boss, hey I want more dough and stay home for three months then just go back when I felt like it.

9. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    It's a testemant to these players personalities and character to turn down 4million dollars to play football for one year, I really don't give a shyt what the going rate is for either of there services.

Ultimately the fact that this is a team sport always prevails over the greed of a few.

• Like Like x 1
  10. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    In 2004 the Chargers won 12 games with NO TRUE #1 WR... an unproven QB... an OLD LEFT TACKLE... and a RUNNING GAME that produced 2185 yards with a rookie center and rookie right tackle.

The defense was 11th in the league in points allowed that year. The offense was 3rd in points scored.

Norv will figure out how to put points on the board with a balanced offense that should be able to run the ball effectively.

If Rivera can bring the D together and lift them to respectability... this team will win at least 12 games.

McNeill and Jackson are betting against this happening. Or at least, they're hoping the team starts slowly so they can "prove" this is all worth it.

THis year is all about the running game and the defense. If these two components can do what they're supposed to... The Chargers will pass the ball with ease.

lighten up people. We'll be in the playoffs... again.

(BTW... this is a perfect example of why you shouldn't go out buy the jersey of a current player until he is firmly established as your team's future... thus, #17, #85, and #23 are the only three jerseys worth owning right now, IMO.)

11. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    That's my feeling, too. How can an agent give advises like
    this to his players. McNeill and Jackson think another team
    will spend twice the money the Chargers would give, to see them playing. It makes me crazy to see the rich people gamble for more money, while the most of the other people
    hope to survive day by day.

12. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    I totally disagree about sitting them. You have two extremely well rested pro-bowlers who will be eager to show the rest of the league they can still play coming on board in the 11th week of the season for the stretch run for only 200k apiece.

What is not to like about that?

This year is the year for this team. They have to get it done. The other players will welcome them back with open arms and we will go on to finally fulfill our desinty.

13. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    Open arms? Really?

All the other players on the team will have busted their asses at OTA'S, mini-camp, training camp, preseason and 10 weeks of the regular season and you expect the two stubborn "me first" players who missed all of that to be welcomed with "open arms"?

Riiiiiiiiiiiiight.

14. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    ^^^^This^^^^ :icon_toast:

15. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    I say put them on the practice squad when they come back.

16. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Everyone of those players is thinking that could have easily been me in that situation.

Not only will all the players welcome them back with open arms coming the 11th week but all you guys on this board will too.

I can hear the rationalizations now.

17. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    Both VJ and MM will be on the team for the season opener in KC. These guys will come crawling back because their agents will wilt under the pressure. I just wonder if the Chargers will give VJ and MM the tender dough they just passed on.

18. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    Bullshit.

The only reason for VJ or McNeil to come back in week 11 is so they can become UFA's NEXT season.

Open arms? CHILD PLEASE...

19. vmax

vmax BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    Yep, I just ordered a #17 and a #14. At least I know the #14 will always be a Charger.

20. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    Hopefully we don't have any more players stupid enough to turn down 3mil a year. This is a bad business call by the players and their agents. They landed in a tough situation with the timing of their contract, but AJ offered them a life line of $3mil/year...by turning the offer down they managed to turned a tough situation into a bad situation financially...player and agent ego is the only way to explain such a brain fart. I don't think the other players are going to feel much sympathy.

21. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    jackson and mcneil better wake up fast to what is really going on. The new cba will probably limit new contracts to a certain amount. And if they don't play and get paid for two years they are gonna be hurting themsleves big time in loosing playing time to keep up to speed and not being paid any money.

I blame thier agents. The players are being basically screwed by the lieing greedy agents.

22. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    You mean like when he was sitting out during his major contract dispute?

Come the week leading to November 21 there will be such a massive difference in the attitudes on here about this it will be quite amusing. If we are 5-5 everyone will be screaming we need them to get into the playoffs. If we are 8-2 everyone will be saying we need them to get over the hump in the playoffs.

They are in the their last year as Bolts that is clear now so just enjoy their last 6 games plus the playoffs and hope they bring us home the trophy.

23. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,418
    Just about everyone else that was in this situation around the league signed their tenders.

These two idiots are just being selfish.

24. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    What about some creative long term contract offers to these guys? Something which gives them a small bonus now and a good salary then only gives them the 'big' bonus next year IF football is being played. That way the Chargers get the player and a long term deal and the player gets a little more this year and good security if football is played (which is more security then they have now).

25. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,418
    I think with the deadline passed that dropped the tenders the bridges are already burned.

Not that I'm suggesting writing them off, I just wouldn't hold my breath anymore.

26. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    Agreed. Certainly not holding breath, I'll take every breath I can get in this life. But I am not abandoning all hope either.

27. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Agreed. I'm approaching it now as if they're both on IR & LT at the least is a need for next year.

Come on, college football!! :icon_banana:

28. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    It isn't much of a risk.

IF for some reason, even though we have one of the easier schedules in the league, we are doing poorly without our LT and WR we will just sign them to the deal they want anyways.

Norv just has to put one guy with Domb and they will do just as good if not better than MM. MM is a good LT, but he isn't the best in the league, and few LT are better than two guys.

29. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    There is a very good reason why no other teams were interested in Tra this late in the off season. He may be a good depth guy, but if anyone is expecting him to be a quality LT, they are completely delusional.

I am much less concerned with VJ than I am McNeil. Our line sucked last year with McNeil, it is not going to improve if we are losing our best player

30. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    By the way, could Acee be any bigger of a douche bag for even using the word "Sans"?