1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Bolts' uniforms will commemorate AFL days

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltmanbz, Feb 8, 2009.

1. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/feb/06/1s6breakout222724-no-headline/?uniontrib

2:00 a.m. February 6, 2009

The Chargers announced yesterday that they will wear a commemorative patch during the 2009 season marking the 50th anniversary of the AFL.

The Chargers, one of eight original AFL teams, also will wear a uniform modeled after their 1963 uniform for two games. The Chargers won the AFL championship in '63, the franchise's only title.

The uniforms will be worn in games (one home, one away) against Denver, Kansas City, Oakland or Tennessee (formerly the Houston Oilers). Those are the only four original AFL teams on the Chargers' schedule in 2009. Both teams will wear uniforms from their AFL days.

The Chargers' 1963 uniform featured white pants with a yellow lightning bolt and blue home jersey and white road jersey. The helmets were white, similar to those currently worn by the team.

The Chargers wore a version of the uniform as their “throwback” uniform in 1994.

– KEVIN ACEE
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  2. ChargerJeff

ChargerJeff Boltaholic

Ratings:
    +352
    Does this affect wearing the powder blues in any way? I am thinking no but just wondering

• Like Like x 1
  3. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    I like this idea a lot. Our old unis are so much better than all the "classics" other teams, i.e. the Eagles and Steelers have been sporting.

• Like Like x 1
  4. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Good times

Go Bolts!!!!

:bolt::bolt::bolt:

5. BLITZED56

BLITZED56 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50
    I like it, I've been wanting to see road throwbacks for a while.

I'd also like to see the 80's Fouts royal blue throwbacks with the yellow pants.

6. boltmanbz

Ratings:
    +86
    those are the ones we all all hoping to see one day

7. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    uhh speak for yourself man :lol:

no offense to the bolts of the 80's but i wouldn't mind if those unis never made a comeback...

powder blue > all

8. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    I'm not too big a fan of the powder blues. The darker blue is much sexier.

9. boltmanbz

Ratings:
    +86
    wow really? i bet there are more people on here that would love to see them then people that wouldnt thats for sure:tup:

10. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    This is pissing me off, ignoring one of the greatest era's of Chargers football... Fouts era.... I wish they would wear 80's throwbacks, royal blue jerseys/helmets, yellow grill, yellow pants.... WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just think of the marketing potential?!?!? :icon_shrug:

I know they sell some 80's throwbacks, I have a couple, but c'mon... Stupid ownership, well, at least Dean Spanos is a self-made man, started with nothing, worked from the ground up... :icon_tease::lol:

Who's with me for Fouts era Sunday night, or even the lowly Monday night football? :flag::tup::abq1:

• Like Like x 2
  11. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    I agree for the most part.

I want the Chargers Yellow Face Mask and Yellow Pants to be a permanent part of the chargers Uniform.

With the helmet I want the White Helmet with the Lightning bolt on each side with the players number like on the jerseys and with the Yellow Face Mask.

The Jerseys I want the 80's Jerseys with its colors to include the Now Lightning bolts colors but not the bolts themselves but the old style of the 80's Lightning Bolts.

I want as the pants to be the Yellow pair but with a thick white stripe on the sides of the pants and the lightning bolt going down it.

That is the type of Uniform I want.

12. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    In due time...
    Right now the time is to honor fifty years of the franchise and it's fitting to make the throwback in the style of the very first years and eventually they probably will run the Fouts era uniform.

13. montanabolthead

montanabolthead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +30
    I like the AFL uniforms the Bolts wore "back in the day." I'd love to see the 80's uni's as well. I hope they sell these, I definitely would buy one.

14. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    I don't know. Those 80's uniforms were really ugly.

15. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074

But to watch them play was a thing of beauty

16. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    It will be nice to be rid of the current unis, even if it is for just two weekends.

I concur with several others here, I would love to see the Air Coryell era unis back at some point even if it is a limited engagement. I use those when I play as the Chargers on Madden.

17. BLITZED56

BLITZED56 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50
    :tup: Even if it's just for 1-2 games a year. Like you said just the marketing potential alone, you'd think they'd be all over it.

I have a Fouts royal throwback. :bolt:

[​IMG]

LT looks sick in those unis with his black face shield!

18. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942

A shield-shaped logo containing the text "ALL-AMERICA CITY" and "SAN DIEGO" was worn at the front of the helmet by SOME players during SOME games during 1963.

Will any players sport the shield? :icon_shrug:

[​IMG]

1963: Navy Blue Outline/Charger Shield Version. Tobin Rote (18) and Paul Lowe (23)

[​IMG]

A reproduction of Lance Alworth's helmet.

For video (no audio) of the 1963 championship game, go here and click on the ninth one down.

Many think that had there been a Super Bowl in '63 we would have beat the Bears.

19. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    Yeah this is the true feeling.

20. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Great. But what I REALLY want to see them wearing is a SB ring. :yes:

• Like Like x 1