1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Bolts vs. Raiders articles

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by wrbanwal, Dec 29, 2007.

1. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20071228-0938-fbn-raiders-defense.html

I like our chances!! Two more 100 yard RBs :icon_toast::icon_toast:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20071228-9999-1s28raiders.html

I'm looking forward to watching him, even if he IS a raider

:icon_toast::icon_toast:

GO BOLTS!!!

:bolt::bolt::bolt:

2. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20071226-9999-1s26scout1.html

:icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

3. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    From Ira Miller of the Contra Costa Times:

It’s understandable why Kiffin may try to flee

Whether Lane Kiffin actually will find an escape route from the Raiders to become head coach at Arkansas is open to question, but there clearly is a whiff of truth in the rumors that he’s at least looking for an exit strategy.

It’s hardly a coincidence that, in recent years, everyone who coached the Raiders was eager to leave them or, at least, was very relieved when he finally did.

That even includes coaches who were fired, particularly Norv Turner, who looked 10 years younger when he was the 49ers’ offensive coordinator after he was fired in Oakland.

The common thread is that, near the end of each of these increasingly sour seasons, Al Davis gets more and more ornery, goes behind the coach’s back more and more and complains, and nothing ever gets better. Even when the team succeeds, as it did winning the AFC championship in 2002, the coach is allowed to become a lame duck rather than get a new contract the following season.

Recently, Davis opened up to a Minneapolis columnist he long has known. Among other things, he blamed the coaches for getting rid of Randy Moss last spring, as if they did it without his knowledge. A year ago, his spin was to blame Art Shell, last year’s coach, for passing on a quarterback like Matt Leinart in the draft and choosing safety Michael Huff instead.

Let’s get one thing straight. Nothing happens with the Raiders without Davis’ approval. Absolutely nothing. But Al always manages to find a way to blame someone else when things go wrong, and the last five years they have gone wrong a lot.

Kiffin got almost unprecedented power when he was hired last winter because Davis was desperate. Kiffin got to pick his offensive coaching staff. That’s normal in functional NFL operations but not Oakland. So now that things are going bad, once more, you can be sure that Davis is putting more and more heat on his young coach.

Because Kiffin’s dad works for Jon Gruden, you have to believe the kid heard all these stories before he took the job. But he’s just that, a kid, and he probably thought he either could survive Davis or change him, a foolhardy thought. Now that the season has tanked, Kiffin may be realizing that this is not a good job for the long term and he’s looking around.

Since the 2003 start of the season, Oakland’s record is 18-57 under four coaches. But there has been one constant in the organization: Al Davis.

Click on the link below for the entire article:

http://www.cctextra.com/blogs/iramiller/2007/11/its_understandable_why_kiffin.html

4. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Turner has Chargers in tune
    Former Raiders coach tries to find tickets for family to Sunday's game

By Steve Corkran, STAFF WRITER

ALAMEDA — The Raiders were ringing in the new year and putting the finishing touches on then-coach Norv Turner's 9-23 two-year tenure the last time Turner graced the sideline at McAfee Coliseum.

Two days later, Raiders managing general partner Al Davis fired Turner. Well, he's coming back. Turner rides into Oakland as the front man for a San Diego Chargers team that captured the AFC West this season and is headed to the playoffs.

For Turner, it marks quite a turnaround in a short period of time. A win against the Raiders on Sunday would give Turner 11 victories, the most in his 10 years as an NFL coach.

"I hadn't really thought about it," Turner said of his pending return to Oakland. "Driving in (Wednesday) morning, I was thinking about it because I have a lot of family up there that wants tickets. So that's the No.1 thought."

Beyond that, Turner said, his thoughts are consumed by preparing his team for its regular-season finale and the AFC playoffs. The Chargers have won five straight games and are in position to clinch the No.3 seed for the playoffs.

"There are so many things that are so much more important than that," Turner said about his homecoming of sorts. "I really haven't thought about it. We're playing at a level now that we expected to be playing at, and we have some things on our mind that we want to get done over the next month. That's where my thoughts are."
    Turner is a Martinez native who still has strong Bay Area ties.

Therefore, not everyone at the game will be cheering against him.

He harbors no ill feelings toward the Raiders, at least publicly. To that end, he said he is looking forward to seeing how much some of the young players he coached in 2004-05 have progressed.

"I've got a lot of respect for those guys," Turner said. "There are some young players there that I (watch) on the film and enjoy watching them play because we played them. You talk about playing guys when they're rookies, there's a lot of guys we played that were really young players. (I like) to watch where they've come and how they've grown. Nnamdi Asomugha is a great example."

SAPP, BURGESS FINED: As expected, Raiders defensive end Warren Sapp was fined by the league for his ejection from Sunday's game against the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Sapp was dinged $75,000 for his part in a bizarre sequence in which he received three unsportsmanlike conduct penalties in response to the way the officials handled a penalty called against the Jaguars.

Defensive end Derrick Burgess received one unsportsmanlike conduct penalty during the sequence. As a result, he was fined $25,000.

A statement released by the league office said, in part, that Sapp was fined "for physical and verbal actions toward game officials that drew an unprecedented three unsportsmanlike conduct penalties and ejection."

Burgess was fined "for his verbal abuse of a game official that resulted in an unsportsmanlike conduct in the same game," the statement said.

CROWD COUNT: The Raiders received an extension from the league in an attempt to sell the remaining tickets for Sunday's game. The extension was granted because Christmas fell in the middle of the week.

EXTRA POINTS: Linebacker Jon Alston (calf) and Burgess (team decision) did not practice. Sapp and center Jeremy Newberry returned to practice after receiving the day off Wednesday. Wide receiver Tim Dwight (hamstring) was limited in practice and is questionable for Sunday's game, coach Lane Kiffin said.

Click on the link below for the entire article:

http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders/ci_7827888

5. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Thanks for the reads and thread.

It is Hell WEEK and we are not shaking our sha-lay-lees like we normally do but I am.

The Raiders SUCK. :turdspuke:

6. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Screw the Raiduds. I'm worried about Sapp and a cheapshot on Rivers bad knee. If that **** happens I hope Norv declares open season on the dude.

In my book if they open that can of worms, then we have the right to close it.

7. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    This is RAIDERS week and the team will show it

8. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
  9. wrbanwal

Ratings: