1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Bolts would have won SB with Brees!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Fouts, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    Says LT! :p

SAN DIEGO -- Good morning.

ESPN NFL Insider Chris Mortensen had an interesting conversationwith former San Diego Chargers running back LaDainian Tomlinson.

Days before Drew Brees makes his return to San Diego this weekend with the New Orleans Saints, Tomlinson said that the Chargers would have won the Super Bowl in the 2006 season had San Diego brought back Brees instead of going with Philip Rivers.

The Chargers finished 14-2 that year, but lost to the New England Patriots in the AFC divisional playoffs at home. Led by Peyton Manning, the Indianapolis Colts went on to win the Super Bowl that season.

"Drew was never going to relinquish that job -- it became his team,” Tomlinson said. “I mean, they both may end up in the Hall of Fame but at that time, I'll say it again: If Drew had been our quarterback, we would have won the Super Bowl [in 2006]. A lot of guys on the team felt that way about Drew. It was so unfortunate.”

My take: The Chargers appeared concerned about paying Brees market value because of his shoulder issue, and that’s understandable. The team also had a quarterback in waiting in Rivers. It’s an interesting debate, but I’m not sure you can question the organization’s decision with how Rivers’ career has turned out. The more questionable decision was letting go of Marty Schottenheimer as the head coach.

NFL Nation Saints reporter Mike Triplett writes that New Orleans is getting healthier, with receiver Willie Snead and Kenny Vaccaroreturning to practice. Both are confident they will play Sunday.

My take: Don’t sleep on the 0-3 Saints, folks. This could be a tough game for the Chargers this weekend.

Michael Gehlken of The San Diego Union-Tribune writes that Melvin Ingram raised $120,000 for his Mission Impossible foundation, which serves low-income, inner-city youth. Ingram was named defensive co-captain in place of Manti Te’o, who was placed on injured reserve this week.

My take: Ingram will lead with his play on the field and also can provide another voice to create energy on game day.

Marty Caswell of The Mighty 1090 AM Radio talks with rookie tight end Hunter Henry about correcting the mistakes the Chargers made against the Colts in this video.

My take: Henry owns up to the fumble he made at the end of the game and said the Chargers have to do a better job of front of blocking in the running game.

2. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,378
    LT, LT, LT !!! ........... [​IMG]

Easy Pleazy too make that statement now I'm afraid.

3. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Having a RB that didn't keep getting hurt in the playoffs might've helped. ;)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  4. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,378

Ewwwww ............OUCH !!! [​IMG]

Buttpastte please ! :D

5. BrecksOnlyBoltzFan

BrecksOnlyBoltzFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +39
    I think about that draft. Chargers Keep Brees and draft Fitzgerald at #4. I miss Marty Ball

6. Hgrove99

Hgrove99 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    So Bree's would have prevented Marlon McCree from fumbling after his interception that seals the game? Huh interesting

• Like Like x 1
  7. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,378

...or DFlop's headbutt let's not forget, both were telling in the outcome of that disaster. ;)

Still have nightmares of that game. :mad:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    Definately the worst loss in my fanhood. Man, we would of had Peyton Manning at home, when the Chargers rattled and owned him, then Rex Grossman in the SB. You have to play the game, but the stars were alligned.

Stupid Brees having a mediocre Chargers career, then damaging his throwing arm in the last game of the last year in his contract, forcing the Chargers to make a rational decision by deciding to go with their 1st round QB, that was drafted because Brees led a 1-15 team the year before. I blame AJ Smith to be brutally honest!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +306
    I hate to say it, but LT is full of crap.

Brees had mostly the same cast of characters in 2005 and went 9-7, making key mistakes in several of those 7 losses that caused those games to be losses. The team went 14-2 in 2006 and was a gnat's eyelash from being 16-0 with Rivers at QB.

The team made the right decision and kept the better QB, but opportunities to win it all when we had the best team (2006) and when we arguably had the best team (2009) were squandered.

Now we are nowhere close and have so much wrong that the writing is pretty much on the wall as far as the rest of Rivers' career is concerned--not gonna happen for us.

It pisses me off every time I think about it--both what might have been (I was in the stands for both of the home playoff losses when we had great teams) and just how much of a total clusterf*ck Telesco has been in the course of absolutely wrecking any chance Rivers had to win a Super Bowl.

10. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,378
    WHY ?..................when he is ! :)

11. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,378
    So what ?............. AJ and Norf didn't ?

ALL those mentioned have been to blame, plan and simple.

12. Boltzzz

Boltzzz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    Yeah exactly

13. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    Hindsight...

14. Lawyers guns & money

Lawyers guns & money BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +112
    Couldn't agree with LT more.

15. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,158
    On paper these are two fairly equal (quite flawed) teams...I expect a close game, with likely the traditional
    ~3 point home field advantage being the difference. Which would be nice. :inlove:

I can't imagine anyone--with any familiarity with both teams--seeing an easy Charger win.

16. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,378
    Did you say that when we played Jacksonville ?

I know I didn't, I picked the Jag's .............. this week I'm picking the 'Aints and Bree's to go close to a 1000 yd game. :D

17. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,378
    :tup:

18. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,158
    Actually, to be honest, Jack...that game kind of snuck up on me...I don't think I made any prediction at all...

19. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,158
    I think it's a very unfortunate thing for LT to say.

At the end of the day, Brees and Rivers have played almost equally well
    (Brees has been flashier, so I understand people in Nebraska assuming that his
    numbers are much better than Rivers', but San Diego fans should know better).

So all LT does is insult Rivers here...for no good reason. I like LT, but he's tone deaf sometimes.
    Just saying "I'm a very classy person" isn't enough...

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,378
    I just read this story in the SDTU ................... http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/sd-sp-acee-20160927-story.html

And its quite amazing just how close their numbers are over the last decade, uncanny even.

To think we as a club have had those 2 leading this team the last 15 years and have diddly fargin' squat to show for it should be illegal ..................(hear me Spanos' ?............ ILLEGAL you clueless farg's !!! :mad:)

(2) Correct and that's exactly how it comes across whether he meant it that way or not.

Always found LT did a lot of yapping without engaging the common sense gene more times than not, loved him as a player, but he sure as shite should never have been let near a microphone, most peeps left feeling dumber for it once he'd finished. :confused:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,378
    What da Farg do you mean it "snuck up on you" ?

If it was the 1st game of the year, I could understand that comment, but how the hell does GAME 2 sneak up ? [​IMG]

You aren't [​IMG] some of that special Yellowstone wildflower are you ?

22. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,158
    It means that, this season, I, sadly have one foot out the door. For the first time ever, and reluctantly.

But it seems like a prudent response to ownership who, while asking me to give them money and be "All in!!"
    were actually putting both of their feet out the door, conspiring with the hated Raiders,
    secretly buying land in Carson, and doing everything in their power to remove my team from it's home.

So, if I'm about to lose my team, I'm not going to give it the priority I have in the past.
    I haven't watched any of the 3 games in real time...and yes, in the days leading to the Jags game,
    the career, the gal pal, the trail and the dog got more of my attention than Blake Bortles.

And if the NFL allows the Chargers to leave, I will cut way back on the overall league...and give it no more $.

That's how the hell GAME 2 sneaks up... :unsure:

23. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    I loved LT as a Charger but as a talking head he is some gobshite alot of the time.

Rubbish comment to make. Complete bolloxology.

24. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,378
    Didn't need to go FULL Retard on a bloke, a simple, "it just did" would have sufficed !!!

Do you feel bad now for ........ [​IMG]

25. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,378
    Woop Woop ! :tup:

26. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,158
    Oh, Jack...you know I always feel bad for you! ;)

(though a sweet, developmentally challenged gal talked me into not using the "r" word anymore...
    I'm soooooooo politically correct, now!) :whistling:

27. Lawyers guns & money

Ratings:
    +112
    Really? What's wrong with him sayin it? He's not on the team anymore. Afraid it hurts Rivers feelings? Rivers was basically a rookie (1st year player) at the helm of one of our best teams ever. I would have preferred a vet like Brees who smoked NE in NE the year before to be our qb. That's just ******* common sense

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. Lawyers guns & money

Ratings:
    +112
    Is Rivers the pope or something? Can't be criticized?

29. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Probably holier than the pope. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  30. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,158
    Seriously?

You read what I wrote, and thought that that might be what I was saying?!? :rolleyes:

For the record, the pope can be criticized. So can every QB, if you really were asking sincerely. :whistling:

Anyone who pretends that keeping Drew--given the huge labrum injury--because he was some kind
    of HoFer while he was here, either misremembers, or is deliberately dishonest:
    I'll let someone else do the math on his cumulative passer rating as of '05,
    but two of his 5 seasons his passer rating was under 77. As for trend, yes he looked awesome in '04,
    but the uncertainty of his injury, plus a drop of 15 passer rating points in his most recent season ('05)
    were concerns. This is why most of the other 31 teams did not see reason to consider signing him.

The fact remains, both guys have played almost equally well.
    LT's comment certainly can be perceived as an unnecessay and unfounded cheap shot against a former teammate.
    I'm hardly crucifying LT or saying he has no right to spout off...even if I think it's a dumb comment.
    I said "I think it's a very unfortunate thing for LT to say" because it was.
    He will probably come to wish he hadn't said it.

• Agree Agree x 1