1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

BoltTalk Fans, What do you see as the strengths and weaknesses of the 2010 Chargers?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I would like to see what everyone thinks; What in your opinion is the top weakness of the 2010 Chargers, why? On the flip side what is their best strength, why?

lets keep it civil, and not try and tear down each others opinions, but lets also keep it focused on the Chargers...

Thanks.

2. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Strength: Air Turner 2.0
    Now I know many will say that the offense will not be as good with certain players sitting at home eating their popcorn, but I beg to differ. Simply look at the starting players, and your mouth should start to water:
    QB: Philip Rivers; RB: Ryan Matthews; TE: Antonio Gates, WR: Malcom Floyd, et al.

Now Floyd has arguably been in the shadow of that player sitting at home munching on his popcorn, but for the last two season, after shaking the injury bug he seemed to have early on, he has been steady and over the last two season has an average yard per catch of over 17 yards. His receptions per year has been on the rise, he is big, fast, has soft hands and can go up to get the ball. He signed a one year contract, unlike that guy sitting at home right now, and is playing for an extended contract. Floyd has been Rivers favorite target throughout camp and has reportedly built up a comfort level with his passer. He has been in camp most of the days while other receivers have missed time. I don’t see a big fall off here. I think Rivers made the guy who is sitting at home and he can make Floyd better too.

Weakness: Pass Rush
    I will be the first to say that you don’t need to hit, or sack a QB to get pressure on the QB. While I do see our D hurrying the opposing passer quite a bit, there is not a lot of real ‘pressure’. Not a lot of bump, pushes and hits.

Now this worries me as the D will go as the front line dictates. We do have a lot of big bodies to man the line, but without a dominating Nose Tackle they will more often than not just clog the line of scrimmage. That is good against the run, but not so good against the pass.

Rivera will bring in a secondary blitz to help, but live by the blitz die by the blitz. What I do like about the secondary blitz, that I mentioned to ChargerRay the other day is that Rivera drops a Line Backer into coverage which can confuse the QB.

However for real pressure, we need the defensive line to push the pigs in front of them back and the QB to be grass stained. So far through preseason (put into that what you will) I have not seen enough of that. If we get a pass rush we could be a top 10 D. If we don’t we will be a bottom 10 D.

• Like Like x 1
  3. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    I share your concerns. The pass rush worries me. Although they did pretty good in their first 2 preseason games and kind of flattened out against the Saints. I'm not sure what to expect yet. I think they have the capability to get some pressure, we'll see if that's true soon.

I'm actually pretty pumped to see what the offense can do with a run game. The addition of Mathews is a huge plus considering that teams will no longer be able to just tee off on Rivers and instead will have to respect the run.

I disagree with you regarding the wideouts though. Floyd is fragile, Nanee is good but unproven, Buster is Mr. Glass' spawn and Crayton...well we got Crayton for a 7th round pick which should tell you what the Cowboys thought of him. Although Gates gives me hope. He's had a very nice preseason so far and he should take pressure off the wideouts.

Edit:

I should clarify, that I agree with you that Floyd is good, I think he's just as good if not better than Jackson. I'm just concerned about his durability. I stand by the rest of my comment regarding the wideouts though. They are a huge question mark right now.

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Strength - Running game
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say our three headed running game combined with an offensive line with a chip on its shoulder are ready to prove they weren't the cause of LT's failures

Weakness - Run stopping
    Since pass rush was mentioned I'll mention this one. Chargers have got to start being more effective in run stopping. Saw some positive signs during the pre-season but quite a few bad ones too. They can't improve this and it'll be a long long year and a short playoff run.

5. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Strength - Pass Game.... Maybe (see weakness for explanation)

Weakness - Lack of beef on the lines. If River can keep upright then see above. No pass rush. Also our Kicking game :lol:

6. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    The running game behind this offensive line will something to behold. Multiple weapons that can run and catch and we have depth. I am unsure about the passing game, since Dombrowski, Green or whoever they find to fill the possible hole left by MM will have to step up. It appears Dombrowski can be at least an adequate pass blocker and Green has potential to develop as the season progresses. Terry adds some depth, but depending on him ain't in the cards. First three receivers are terrific and if Buster manages to stay healthy, I figure he will finally make his mark. After not signing MM, AJ's second mistake was not putting Jeremy Williams either on the practice squad or the roster. I would have picked him over Goodman or carried one less Hughes or cut Tucker to fit him in. Philly might have grabbed him anyway off the PS, but letting him go was not a good move. Depth at WR is my main concern here, since both Davis and Malcolm have been prone to injury. I hope we take Williams back from the Iggles later on. I am not as worried as I would be if we didn't have such a collection of running backs. We also have what is probably the best TE unit in the league, as well as the best there is in Gates. They are the passing game's ace in the hole.

Merriman won't contribute much until maybe three or four games into the season, so that means English absolutely has to step up if we are going to generate a pass rush. I don't have any qualms about the rest of the linebackers. If English performs, if Castillo stays healthy, and with the DL a unit since camp started, we have more than enough to keep just about anyone from outscoring us. I've seen signs early on that Thomas and Garay can get pressure up the middle and Thomas will get better as the season progresses. The early schedule gives him time to mature against teams that don't have dominant offensive lines. I'm not as pessimistic as most are about the DL.

7. MikeC

MikeC Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Strength - Offense.

PR is arguably one of the most accurate passers, a great leader, has the experience to read defenses, and look off coverage.

Our running game will be just fine with the bruisers we have and you are not going to be able to arm-tackle Mathews. He will get positive yardage on just about every run.

Our WR's are better than people think. Remember VJ had his vagina broken for much of his first 2 years as well. Floyd has put on some weight to help with the injuries, is still fast, and has always had better hands than VJ (imo). If he can stay healthy he will be solid. Crayton has something to prove, and as far as he sees it, he has a chance at being the #1, so he will play his *** off.

Our O-Line is piece-mieled together, but all of the players are experienced with each other and are talking the same blocking language, with some TE help at LT, and having the offense be able to run, and run quick pass plays, we can and will take DE's out of the game.

Weakness: Defense.

Without a solid NT, our defense is almost useless in passing situations. Jammer is getting older, and if he doesn't lose a step this year, he will next. We don't have any scary fast DB's with great makeup speed. We cannot man up, bump and run, and are forced to play zone coverages (this is the exact reason cromartie has sucked for the last 2 years. he didn't have the intelligence to play zone, therefore was usually lost quite a few plays each game and got abused). Against mediocre QB's we will be fine, but great QB's will carve us to pieces. Our run stopping should fare ok, because teams are going to be keying on our DBs/Safeties. And honestly with 4 LB's we can and should clog any running lanes.

Weakness and Strength: FG's and Punting. Kaeding needs to get over his mental hurdle during the playoffs, and continue to put them thru the posts like he does in the regular season. Scifres is a beast, and I expect him to continue. Binn is a workhorse. And with some hungry rookies, we should get some decent hits to watch.

8. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I figured you would say that a strength would be the kicking game... Man was I wrong! :lol:

9. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +47
    Strength: Balanced Offense
    -With Mathews, Sproles, Tolbert, and 3 TE's that can block and catch...we're going to be able to play any style of game. Uptempo, high scoring shoot outs; close to the vest, low scoring, time of possession games.
    -the improved threat of the running game will help the play action passes.
    -the screen game, as good as it was...will improve...Having Hardwick back, and/or Mruk with experience...Vasquez is a year older... For those of you worried about the pass protection...a good screen game will slow down those pass rushers, and the way Dombo and Clary run block...this is a big plus.

Weakness: I gotta agree with pass rush.
    -I think the secondary will be better. I think the D-Line will improve. I think the ILBers are going to be better...Burnett will be healthy I hope, and Siler got a ton of experience last year.
    -However...who can win one on one battles, beat their man, and get sacks? English I hope progresses, but I didn't see as much out of him as I hoped during pre-season. And I know, it's pre-season. Will Merriman get a little more pop in his step? Maybe, just maybe...Rotating the pass rushers, like applewhite, phillips, merriman, and english will give the offensive tackles alot of styles to adjust to, and give them some rest.
    But, I worry about the pass rush.

10. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    STRENGTH = QB PLay

Rivers is the one of the best in the league. This season he may justify a place in the top 3 in the league! He just as to get support from the rest of the offense...Skill positions and OL. Don't worry about Gates, you can count on him...its everybody else that needs to step up and take ownership of this season!

WEAKNESS = Pass Rush

Most people have 'Hit -the-nail-on-the-head'. For our defence (and the team overall) to be sucessful we have to generate a pass rush and stop people on third down. That killed us early last year! If that improves...our overall balence will be good on Dfence and will allow our offense to relax and epress themselves early and often.

11. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    Strength= Rivers if upright/protected

Weakness= New running game if play calling sucks/predictable....."Pressure defense"

12. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    One of the things that I'm really looking forward to this season is pass plays out of the 3 TE sets. Last year we ran it 30 of 37 times, mostly in the red zone.

13. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Strengths: We are the SAN DIEGO F*CKING CHARGERS.

Nuff' said.

14. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    to be honest. I'm not gonna know till I see the first game.

15. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    I jus hope im still sober for the game. Then agian might be gettin sober by halftime. Tailgating with the enemy round 2 till the game...

16. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Oyea S an W.

Deffinatly a strength is RM to boost overall offensive sucsess. Also our secondary to me looks the best its ever been to me. *circa 04*

Also our receivers look poised to do some special things this year. CBDs injury addiction still pending. Love to see legs get 10+ catches in the opener. If he gets 10+ it will be for over 100 yds ez. I think M80 will also be alot more injury resistant this year. Being moved as far up the depth chart that he is lining up vs safetys and corners vs nickels and LBs will deffinatly help his health.

And the negative W deffinatly has to fall on the OLB pass rush. Rest of the blitz has looked pretty solid. Id like to see English 56 Phillips all improve their game and fast.

17. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    The biggest strength will be the balanced offense. Ryan Mathews will move the chains and Rivers is elite. Even without Mac on the line, Norv will surely unleash the beast on offense. Teams will be spinning trying to figure out how to stop this juggernaut. Think Cowboys - week 2 of preseason.

Another strength is the secondary. The corners have about 40 career interceptions total and Weddle/Gregory are top-notch players. Teams will dink and dunk and get burned being too predictable. These are career DBs and they'll react and adjust appropriately. I've said it before but the Chargers pass defense will be deceptively great. The stats might not look so good but teams will fear throwing into the secondary. But ya know what could really help?

Weakness: Pass rushing. I think we all see this as the black spot on the team. No Merriman will never capture that "Lights Out" ability but he will be helpful. Will it be enough? Hell no. EVERYONE has got to step up or we'll get creamed. They have to put pressure on QBs and make them quake every time they snap the ball. At this point, I'm willing to say Rivera should just go Rex Ryan and let the blitz dictate the games. Good to know they'll be getting the rest though, with Mathews knocking first downs all game long.

18. Osmekaman

Osmekaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +31
    Strengths - TE - Gates to another level, nice depth. (+ QB, RB, WR)

Weakness' - Secondary - Cason unknown as a full time starter on outside, SS in seemingly permenant flux. A lot of hope, a lot of question marks. (+ OLB, LT, NT)

19. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I am surprised everyone is saying pass rush is the number one weakness !

You stop the run FIRST and then worry about the pass rush.

Our run defense is a nightmare. That is on the front 7 and especially the front 3 hippos. Then I would agree our pass rush is very suspect and basically weak tit.

Lack of quality BEEF is our overall biggest killer.

Strength - Rivers "The Chosen One" & his cast of merry men.

20. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Yes, lack of BEEF is the biggest weakness but understand that it's not because they're that terrible at stopping at the run. Actually, they're decent in that department. This defense was solid against it last year and it won't be too much of a drop-off (knocking on wood). Yes, the Saints torched them for 500+ yards in week 3 of the Preseason, though, but I'm rather encouraged by their performance the other three weeks, the one's that is. With heavy rotation, that isn't much to hang your hat on.

21. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    Strengths are the "Chosen One" Philip Rivers and our TE's because of Gates and our Rookie RB in Mathews.

Our Weaknesses the whole Gawd Damn Lacking Slabs of Beef Beefy Beef on both lines, the Pass Rush on Defense and Nate the Fake Keading ?

22. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    If you look at the stats, I think the Bolts were middle of the road in rush defense in the league. That should be good or good enough one would think. When I see it for myself, it makes me puke. Gone are the days when we could scream "you can't run" and the defense would respond. Last year nor this year will that or did chant come back.

23. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Strength=Offense

Weakness=Pass Rush

24. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    Strength is the offense with Rivers and an improved running game.

Weakness is the front 7 of the D. Soft with Capt Speed Bump Cooper in the middle.