1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Boltz/NFL fan for 50 years...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Fossil, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +317
    In 50 years of fandom, I have never, ever seen NFL refs call a "do over" on a play that has already been run because the play clock wasn't properly set beforehand. That is the most absurd officiating decision I've seen in ages.

After a ball is snapped and the next play run, whatever conditions the existed beforehand now becomes history. In 50 years of watching, I've seen incorrect play clocks, incorrect ball placement, and incorrect downs that simply cannot be rectified once the ball is snapped and the play run.

Why the hell do offenses hurry up and snap the ball after a questionable catch? Because once a play is run, the previous play is in the books. If refs can't take it upon themselves to call a "do over" on a play because on the previous play a 28 yard pass was ruled complete but in reality the receiver's second foot came down out of bounds, how the hell can they take it upon themselves to undo a play based on housekeeping procedures?

I thank God that the Raider "do over" play (and an "undo" on the next play when a phantom whistle in the stands negated a blatant false start on the Raiders) did not alter the outcome of the game.

But I would still like to know where does the NFL rulebook specifically provide written authority to "do over" a play because the play clock was incorrectly set beforehand.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,374
    I've never seen that either. I was more apoplectic than McCoy was on that call. But I have a question. Are we sure the official called for the do-over because of the play clock, or was that just the moronic speculation from Steve Tasker? Immediately after the do-over, they stopped play again because a whistle was heard in the stands and the official said that when that happens, by rule, they replay the down. Is it possible the do-over play was also the result of a whistle heard in the stands? I still think it would be a completely bogus call, since no one on the field reacted in any way to the whistle on the do-over play. But I was just wondering.

3. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +317
    Xlnt question boltssbbound. Happy we beat the :poop:s, but still scratching my head about that call. Would have thought one of the local football pundits would have manned up and called the NFL for an explanation.

4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,223
    At the time of the incident I thought it was the whistle blow as well. I remember being at a game and they called that, then for the next 4 or 5 plays all the fans were whistling their hearts out...

5. BoltsNHoes

BoltsNHoes I gotta have me my....

Ratings:
    +71
    I was wondering the same thing. I need that one explained to me. Has the NFL come out and issued a statement or does it not matter since the right team won this time unlike that Texans game where we got screwed.