1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Border Patrol agent dies in Calif. of apparent heat illness

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ChargerRay, Jul 30, 2007.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    The agent who died is a San Diego native who attended Morse High School

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2007/07/30/state/n180749D06.DTL

(07-30) 18:07 PDT SAN DIEGO, (AP) --

The death of a 31-year-old Border Patrol agent last week in a rugged, mountainous area could mark the agency's first weather-related fatality, authorities said Monday.

Eric Cabral died Thursday from an apparent heat-related illness. He had been pursuing a group of suspected illegal immigrants on foot on a day when temperatures topped 100 degrees.

"He was exhibiting signs of heat exhaustion or heat stroke," said Richard Smith, an agency spokesman. "We're fairly confident it was heat related."

Four agents have died from heart attacks while on duty, but Cabral appears to be the first to die as a result of the weather, said Ramon Revera, another angency spokesman.

The San Diego County Medical Examiner's Office has not determined the cause of death.

Cabral and a partner were pursuing migrants for the most of the day near Jacumba, a forested area about 60 miles east of San Diego, Smith said.

Working separately and communicating by radio, they abandoned the chase late afternoon. The partner called for help when Cabral did not respond to his radio call.

Cabral was unresponsive when found near the De Anza Springs Resort, the agency said. He died at a nearby hospital.

Extreme temperatures kill hundreds of migrants each year in deserts and mountains along the U.S.-Mexico border.

2. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    This is surprising...and sad.

• Like Like x 1
  3. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    May he rest eternally in heaven.

4. MONDO.

MONDO. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +36
    His family will be in my prayers,

I don't know why dont get some kenyan or nigerian trackstars out there to do the chasing down those guys can handle the heat no prob and are used to chasing animals. LOL no wait I just offended my peoples, D'OH!

:oops:

• Like Like x 1