1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Bosa contract dispute

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by pure-sol, Jun 14, 2016.

1. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
  2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    It will get done this is par for the coarse....

3. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Sounds like Bosa isn't too sure of himself if he's worried about being cut. :confused:

4. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    He's a rookie that needs to nut up sign the contract and prove himself. This is making it look like he only cares about the money and not the game

5. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    No, it may happen on occasion, but it is not "par for the course".

The offset only applies if the team releases him, so he must have some concern about being released notwithstanding being the greatest draft pick ever *cough*.

6. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Off Coarse it is ;)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Dante Fowler, last year's third overall pick, had the offset language. Why should Bosa not have it? This is a non issue. Next.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. The Nose

The Nose Member

Ratings:
    +16
    Media will always project the worst case scenario. Or th best case. Whatever will get you to react.

Bosa deal will get done

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,414
    The media was the biggest losers in the draft slot deal.

10. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +501
    I read that the opposite was the case i.e. Fowler had it removed from his deal.

11. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    I thought the Chargers had a lawyer or legal group to oversee such issues.

image004.jpg

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  12. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    No, he did not...... that's probably why Bosa's agent thinks he can get the same deal. The "rule" had already been broken.

Per Michael Gehlkin:

Offset language is a common battleground for teams selecting high in the draft. Titans quarterback Marcus Mariota, the No. 2 overall pick in 2015, was unsigned until a few days before training camp because of the detail. Ultimately, a compromise was reached. Of the top-five draft picks in the 2015 and 2016 drafts, six of the nine have offset language. Jaguars linebacker Dante Fowler, the No. 3 pick last year, had no offset language in his deal.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  13. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Fair enough I actually saw it secondhand and was too lazy to verify (story of the Internet amirite?).

14. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,414
    Any update on this? I can't find anything but 5 day old articles reporting it.

15. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,733
    ^^^ It's so quiet, no one is saying anything out of Chargers headquarters, the press, the batcave, etc.

16. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    They could be drawing up plans for the super double top secret surprise attack to make Bosa sign the papers.

17. The Nose

The Nose Member

Ratings:
    +16
    One of Bosa's Agents Todd France:

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Shumway

Shumway BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +14
    I heard that Bosa had concerns about why the Chargers staff are still not running the Warhammer formation.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,733
    ^^^ Ahem, that's Thunderhammer...

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,414
    I heard Bosa is holding out because chaincrusher convinced him he sucks and shouldn't have been drafted.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  22. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Did y'all run the ChainDrinker off? I was waiting for him to introduce the next best defense ever conceived next to the "Thunder Hammer" of course.

• Funny Funny x 2
  23. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    http://www.upi.com/Sports_News/2016...rs-continue-contract-stalemate/1661466569031/

I agree with the team here. The rookie salary system was put into place to prevent teams from being impacted by players who never achieved their potential. I would not expect to pay a player if they forced a situation to be cut and that has happened all too often in the history of the league. That said, I think the player deserves to protect themselves against potential career ending injury as well. So eff it, I dont know.

• Like Like x 1
  24. The Nose

The Nose Member

Ratings:
    +16
    He only missed 2 days. If he doesn't have his contract signed by training camp, then we have an issue.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
  26. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    I stated that he is not worthy of the #3 overall draft pick. I would love for Bosa to be as good as Rivers or LT (recent top 5 overall picks that played for us), but I don't think we got anything close to that kind of value for our (hopefully) once in many, many years top 5 draft pick.

That said, I never stated that he is not worthy of being drafted by any NFL team team at all in any round. I think he can be a solid NFL player--just not one worthy of being the #3 overall pick.

I think he is a bad fit for what our defense should be trying to do (but has refused for 4 years to move toward), but that he does carry and did carry second half of the first round value for base 4-3 teams. I doubt other base 3-4 teams had him very on their draft boards because of the bad fit issue. But we seem to be too caught up in playing goofy hybrid defenses that don't work, so scheme fit seems less important to us than it does to other teams that are characterized as base 3-4 teams.

Sadly, I think we could have had a very good mostly traditional 3-4 defense by now if we had actually tried to accomplish that over the past 4 years instead of the mostly bad defense that we have now that I think stands a great chance of finishing dead last in rushing YPC against (after finishing 30th in 2015), though a lot will depend on how Mebane and Bosa (both of whom are better in a 4-3) stand up at the line of scrimmage.

[As an aside, I wonder if anyone employed by the team has considered the relationship between the effectiveness of the ball control scheme that Whiz ran for us in 2013 and having a defense that struggles to stop the running game of our opponents.]

In any event, as I stated previously, if we didn't take Bosa and the Giants had passed on him at #10 overall (where I think there was a pretty good fit), I think Bosa would not have gone off the board until the 20s. We will never know obviously, but I think the way the draft order was set, that is how it would have gone had we not taken Bosa. I certainly don't think teams would have been crawling all over themselves to take Bosa if we had passed on him.

27. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    I agree with the team and the comment of John Spanos with regard to the offset language. A player should not be able to intentionally suck his way into getting cut so he can stack his salaries and make more overall money. If I were the team, I would not budge on that issue.

I am sure Todd France knows that and is using the issue to leverage a more favorable result on other issues where there might be some more wiggle room. It is a fairly transparent approach, but it is better than having nothing to throw out to justify potential team concessions on other issues.

28. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,414
    I make an obvious joke and you respond with 6 paragraphs. :roflmao:

We've done this song and dance already. Let's wait until something else goes wrong that you can blame on Telesco before we argue ad nauseam some more.

29. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Where's the fun in that? ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  30. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    I understand that you made a joke, but it was one that misstated what I had said about Bosa, so I reiterated my thoughts on Bosa.

And I would much rather see Telesco not do more wrong things than discuss the wrong things that he does do and I would much rather talk about Telesco doing great things, but Telesco isn't helping me too much as far as that goes.