1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Bosa

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by pure-sol, Apr 28, 2016.

1. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    So we got Bosa. Since I'm totally not familiar with any college players, and I'm sure I'm not the only one, what's the news on this guy?

And please, no hate just because they didn't pick the guy you wanted or thought was best. I just want to know about this guy. We have some pretty football smart people (paging LBC), let's compile what we know about this guy here!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    Talented guy, good production in college, but to many will be viewed as a better fit as a 4-3 DE and doesn't appear to have a natural fit in our 3-4 defense.

Will be interesting to hear the rationale from the team on this pick and their plans for him going forward.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,159
    TT: "I'm just f-in' with y'all! Especially those of you who said: 'Anyone would be better than AJ!' LMAO!!" ;)

4. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Stealing some positive thoughts from twitter since I don't know enough to have an educated opinion either...

From what I'm seeing it seems like the knock on him is he's not a good 3-4 fit, a little slow out of the gate but he has great strength and great hands.

• Like Like x 1
  5. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    He's was a great productive college player, but I'm not sure all of that (his pass rush) translates to the NFL.

I could be wrong, I was wrong about Eric Weddle way back in 2007, and Corey Liuget to a certain degree, but I don't love the fit.

6. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    If we were more exclusively 3-4 focused I wouldn't like it much either but, the more I see and read about him now, the more I like the pick. Maybe not the best pick but a solid one. Good head on his shoulders by all accounts, hard worker, strong, talented. I just can't hate it and I'd love to see our D get vicious in the trenches :)

7. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    That was my first thought too. I saw his highlights (I know, they're highlights) and he kept stuffing runs. I miss those days of chanting "You can't run!" at the Murph!

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,423
    Word from the experts (fans posting on this board) is that he is a complete, utter, failure.

"we just drafted a reserve OLB or we will be the worst team in the NFL at stopping the run if this joker is going start at 3-4 DE for us." said NFL Expert analyst chaincrusher.

Charger1993 @charger1993 29 minutes ago

"Mark this down. Shaq Lawson will be a better player and have a better career than bosa"

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    I was neither excited nor disappointed with the selection of Bosa, but he seems to be pretty versatile, and I like the idea of being able to rush him from a bunch of different places. With the other off-season additions, our defense may be improved and that would go a long way to getting off to a fast start before the November vote.

10. Slam

Slam BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +137
    I heard he had a stint of liking to do molly*ecstacy*

otherwise, he is very technically sound, not an athletic specimen as some of the other guys.

it will be interesting to see how he fits...and hopefully helps this defense

11. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    DeForest Buckner stuffs runs too, and there's no question of scheme fit. Just sayin.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Hgrove99

Hgrove99 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    some solid highlights

• Like Like x 1
  13. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,423
    This just in from Chargers' Defensive Coordinator @matilack, who is obviously not happy with the pick.

"DeForest Buckner stuffs runs too, and there's no question of scheme fit. Just sayin."

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I don't think anyone is saying Buckner wouldn't have been a better pick. Just that, the pick being what it is, it's not a bad one.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Please don't speak for me prick. I don't hate the selection, I just don't love when teams ask players to change to fit THEM. Particularly when there was a ready made fit on the board.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,423
    I didn't speak for you. I used quotations.

Also, learn to take a joke.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    That's what quotes mean.

Lean to speak English.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,423
    Wait, so you're saying that by directly cutting and pasting what you said to display a quote I'm speaking for you?

19. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    ....moving on from this nonsense.

As long as Bosa is taking Reyes' left over snaps and not taking snaps from a player who doesn't deserve to lose them (like Attaochu) I'm fine with the pick.

I am a little disturbed that this happened days after Polian's little rant about Buckner not fitting a 3-4.

• Like Like x 1
  20. chahjah

chahjah BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +134
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    The big thing with me, and my thoughts on Bosa, is that we don't play a PURE 3-4. I've heard for so many years why you don't need to get a big time Jamal like NT because he'd be playing like 20% of the snaps that we run a 3-4 in. Well I guess that means we are in nickel or a four down lineman formation around 80% of the time - so Bosa is fine.

He was universally declared to be the best player in CFB at the end of the season, period. Many people screaming that he's horrible were running around with the twitter tag #BlowitUpforBosa

I'll say that he's the best pure DE in the draft, has the best combination of instincts, technical skills and moves of any DE in the draft with MAYBE the exception of Buckner. He is not that fast (which is the biggest concern) and he might be more of a high floor player than anything. Still there's a lot to like, it's not a reach and he's one of the most decorated players in CFB over the last two years.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    The video on Chargers Twitter says Bosa was their guy all along, they love his passion for the game and his talent.

Telesco also referred to us spending 60% in sub packages, where he feels Bosa will be able to line up at DE or even inside at tackle in a 4 man front.

23. chahjah

chahjah BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +134
    yeah you know what, I think we'll end up liking this pick a year or two from now

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,423
    Latest reports coming out of the Chargers' War Room: @Chaincrusher declares tomorrow's rounds 2 and 3 picks a failure already.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. Hgrove99

Hgrove99 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    • Funny Funny x 2
  26. Chargefwd

Chargefwd BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +78
    I think Bosa will be productive. Dude is intense-has fire in his eyes.. I like the film on him better than I do Buckner. Bosa has better instinct and hands.. Good choice!

27. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    I'm writing an article (so is Kyle Posey - both may be going up on BFTB, Kyle's for sure), I'll link to it when I finish.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  28. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +306
    Yeah, all I can say is that I have a very different idea about what our defense should be and how we should get there. Buckner was the clear choice here in my view. I agree with matilack that it is questionable to take a player to try to fit to your scheme when there is a clear scheme fit just sitting there at the top of the board.

The prevalence of the sub packages and being too cute is part of our problem on defense. Teams like the Seahawks don't really try to trick other teams as much as we do. They do what they do and trust that to beat other teams. They are a base 4-3 team, but I think the concept holds true for 3-4 teams. Get good at what you do and trust that to beat other teams.

Our identity in recent history has been as a 3-4 team. I would like to see us get back to that identity by drafting players that fit the bigger/stronger/more physical 3-4 defensive mold.

I see Bosa as having the ability to be a strong run defending 3-4 OLB that can set the edge the way that Jarret Johnson did for us. That isn't worth the #3 overall pick, but that role does have some value.

I think the notion of using Bosa as a 3-4 DE is foolish as Bosa is too small.

When we use sub packages with a 4 man line in passing situations, my preference would be to have Attaochu and Ingram as our edge rushers as I do not see Bosa as having as much explosive pass rushing ability.

My view is that it will be more difficult to use Ingram, Attaochu and Bosa at the same time than what is being discussed so far.

29. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Not really. They're a 4-3 team in name only. Most of their gap-concepts and assignments are more similar to a 3-4; they just happen to run an uneven 4-3 alignment that lines up two 9-Techs with different assignments, and then diversifies which of their downed linemen are 1-gapping versus 2-gapping. Even then, they have subsets and sub-packages like their Bear or "Double Eagle" front which is for all intents and purposes a 3-4 front - save for the fact that they're downed linemen are operating with a 2-gapping 0-Tech between two 1-gapping 3-techs. They do this purposefully as, per Carroll's own admission, it forces teams to prepare for them as a 3-4 team as well as a 4-3 team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +943
    Bosa can kick inside and be a total mismatch nightmare for OG's. His hand placement/usage is unreal, and he won't get washed away against the run. I don't love the pick, but I don't hate the pick, which is a win-win as a Chargers fan.