1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Bosses We Love To Hate

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Deb, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Deb

Deb BoltTalker

Jul 10, 2007
    Bosses We Love To Hate
    By Anthony Balderrama, CareerBuilder.com writer

As a general rule, people like to complain. We say we don't, but we do. We watch scary movies even though we're covering our eyes half the time screaming about how dumb the characters are. We can't stop listening to talk radio even though we're dismayed at what the pundits say. We go to bars even though we insist we'll never meet anyone worth our time.
    We also can't resist horrible bosses. Real or fictitious, bad bosses are the car wrecks that make us rubberneck, disgusted by what we see but in awe of their grotesqueness. They allow us to think up great kiss-off speeches that we'll never say in real life ... but, man, it feels great to think about it anyway.

Here are a few bad bosses who never fail to raise your ire:

Donald Trump
    Trump is a polarizing figure you either admire or revile. None of that matters, of course, because he loves himself more than anyone else can -- and that's part of the fun. The man knows how to self-promote, whether through his own TV show, feuds with other celebrities or his real-estate business. As much as you say you dislike him, you can't stop paying attention to the man whose image is as flashy as his namesake skyscrapers.

Ebenezer Scrooge
    Every holiday season you can't go a few minutes without encountering some form of Charles Dickens' "A Christmas Carol." Theaters, movies and TV shows have put their own spins on the tale of the miser who learns that friends and family are more important than money. Although we despise him in the beginning, we know he'll eventually come around to appreciate Bob Cratchit and give us a warm, fuzzy feeling all over. Plus, we like to think that even the meanest of bosses has the potential to grow a heart after all.

Jack Donaghy
    Alec Baldwin's role as corporate head honcho Jack Donaghy on "30 Rock" is angering, frightening and hilarious. He's angering because he's thinking with his checkbook when everybody else is thinking with their heads; frightening because he reminds us that his real-life counterparts do use their business power to influence our entertainment and politics; and hilarious because his demanding ways turn Liz Lemon (Tina Fey) into an endearing, neurotic mess.

Leona Helmsley
    I know you're not supposed to speak ill of the dead, but in the case of this real estate billionaire, I think we've found the exception. Notorious for being less than amiable toward humans, Helmsley was equally infamous for loving her pets. Even now, a year after her death, she's making headlines for bequeathing $12 million to her beloved dog, Trouble, and leaving somewhere in the neighborhood of $5 billion to $8 billion to the "care and welfare of dogs." While no one begrudges her charity to animals, her noticeable disinterest in human welfare -- both in her life and afterlife -- is too much to comprehend. Just when we think we've seen all she has to offer, she keeps enraging us.

Mark Cuban
    The techie billionaire and owner of the Dallas Mavericks basketball team has gained a reputation as a rebel among his starched-shirt peers. He cheers courtside in a Mavericks jersey during games, and rants and raves about the final score at press conferences and on his personal blog. While he sometimes makes you wish he'd sit in the skybox and keep his mouth closed instead of stealing the spotlight from his team, you can't help but admire his enthusiasm and the way he makes the normally reserved establishment squirm.

Miranda Priestly
    As we watched "The Devil Wears Prada," we spent the entire time wondering why anybody would put up with the rude demands of fashionista Miranda Priestly, played by a chilly Meryl Streep. We wanted to shake Anne Hathaway's Andy and tell her that no job is worth that much stress. Of course, we kept watching just to see how demanding Miranda would get and how long people would put up with her antics.

Nina Garcia
    The magazine editor's stint on "Project Runway" has earned her a reputation as the judge whose critiques are harsh but ultimately spot on. So while we cringe when she makes our favorite designers weep on the runway, we also find ourselves nodding in agreement that, yes, that dress is as boring as she said.

Who is the worst boss you ever had?
  2. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Sep 8, 2006
  3. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Jan 15, 2007
    Back in my factory-worker days, I worked for an Asian guy who used to chase us down during our lunches and breaks and make us go back and finish projects. At the very least, he always wanted to talk shop; we literally had to go off the grounds if we wanted to eat in peace. He'd lecture us employees on what he expected from everyone, e.g. TOTAL devotion to the job.

I put up with this for about two months. Then one day he called us in for another lecture, and told us that even his kids were never allowed to just do nothing---they had to be involved in something "constructive" or educational every single waking minute. That's when I decided I'd best find other employment.

Do you know, that SOB wouldn't let me quit! He outright refused to accept my resignation and told me to get back to work. So I pulled the no-call-no-show card for three days and got myself fired.

I think I danced out of that office.:icon_rofl: