1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Both sides say Edwards won't be returning

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    <!--ClickabilityRefresh=10m--><!--- SAFE:SafeMode --->By Kevin Acee
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
    February 9, 2007
    <!--- BODYTEXT --->KO OLINA, Hawaii – It has long been a foregone conclusion that 2006 was linebacker Donnie Edwards' last season as a Charger. Neither the team nor Edwards' side officially said as much, however, until yesterday.

But with free agency looming, Edwards' agent confirmed yesterday the sides have not talked and that Edwards will leave when the free-agency period begins next month.

“We're not doing anything (with the Chargers),” Tom Condon said.
    Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith later said the team sent Condon a letter two days after the team's playoff loss to New England last month and said they would not be pursuing Edwards.
    “What Tom Condon told you is correct,” Smith said. “Donnie will not be part of the San Diego Chargers this year.”
    It is clear the decision to let Edwards go was made quickly. Smith said he has not contacted the agents of any other potential free agents regarding the team's plans.
    Yesterday was the first time Smith spoke of Edwards since July 31.
    Although Edwards led the Chargers in tackles each of the past five seasons and led all NFL linebackers with 17 interceptions since 2002, Smith had tired of Edwards' repeated attempts to rework his contract.
    Smith put Edwards on the trading block in April, and the Chargers and New Orleans Saints came close to a deal in late summer.
    It was in June that Smith said: “It has become crystal clear to me that Donnie is very unhappy with his contract and has been for a few years. We have always appreciated Donnie Edwards' playing ability, and we believe he is well-compensated. However, because of his unhappiness we will do everything possible to find him a new team – a team that will appreciate him the way he would like and will compensate him with an amount that will make him very happy and content.”
    Dire situation?

The most pressing free-agent issue remains left guard Kris Dielman. The team has not spoken with Dielman's agent in more than two weeks, and it has been even longer since meaningful dialogue was shared.

Teammates have expressed pessimism regarding the possibility of Dielman staying and have said his loss would be greatly felt.
    The market for Dielman will be fierce. Dallas, Miami, Seattle and Cleveland, among others, are expected to bid for his services.
    The summit

On a secluded patio at the Pro Bowl players' hotel here Wednesday afternoon, Shawne Merriman and Jason Taylor spoke for about 15 minutes.

According to Merriman, they parted ways with a mutual respect but without plans to go out for mai tais.
    “I wasn't going to do it,” Merriman said. “I greeted him like a man and that's all I really wanted to do. I'll say the same thing about him now I said before. He's a great player, and we'll leave it at that. We shook on it.” Taylor, a defensive end for the Miami Dolphins, has been among the most outspoken players who say Merriman's steroid suspension should have precluded him from playing in the Pro Bowl.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20070209-9999-1s9chnotes.html

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when Merriman was talking to Taylor.

About Edwards, ehhh, he had a good year, but the tread is wearin on the tire. I think AJ has shown he knows what he is doing.

3. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    yeah as much as i like donnie in bolts, it doesnt really hurt my feelings, ive learned to trust aj.

4. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I don't think Donnie Edwards has been sufficiently appreciated for what he's done for our defense. I suspect that Donnie's stock will rise among the fans after he leaves, as his presence will be missed.

5. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I think you might be right. But we do have some young stud LBs, I am sure one of them can step into the roll.

I just home our omniscient fans dont start tracking where they make their tackles...

6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    CYA Anklebiter!!!!

7. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I like our young LBs, Conc. But Donnie Edwards was the tackling leader on a top 5 defense, and most people around here treat him like a scrub.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I give Donnie some credit for the D's success.

8. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I am in that minority with you.

9. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Me too... :unsure:

10. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    We lose 2 starting LB's for the upcoming year. Looks like we might go LB in the draft or FA. Briggs? Maybe too much.

• Like Like x 1
  11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I give him some credit but by the same token one man does not a defense's success make; even an all-pro has his success partially due to the supporting cast. I'm very grateful for Donnie's service but I think Cooper and Wilhelm are both ready to step up and be something special

12. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    If it wasn't for his mouth I'd welcome Donnie back with open arms.

Donnie's best days are behind him. I'm sure he'll go to a team that's not as good as our and still have a few productive years, but he burned all his bridges here.

I guess playing in your hometown for the team you grew up loving, where the fans treat you extra special because you're a hometown hero, and getting paid fairly well isn't enough.

13. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Sounds like greed to me, and after AJ said no he keeps trying?????? damn I know Dago is expensive but Edwards is just plain wrong on this one. He punched his own ticket with his big mouth so now he'll be on the slow train out of town.:bolt2:

14. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Donnie will end up in either SF, Oakland, or Seattle.
    I'm sure he'd love Seattle. Paul Allen has lots of cash and likes to spend it. I'd hate to see him in Oakland. SF would actually be the best situation. He would really help the middle of that 3-4.

I wish him the best. Donnie's good in my book. :tup:

But I wanna see Wilhelm and Dobbins in action.

15. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    If Donnie goes to the Raiders he will become the most hated former Charger ever.

16. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    even more the Parella? he was a bolt longer then Donnie was I think

17. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Parella is dead to me...that raider trader :tdown:

18. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    IMO it's worse because he grew up in SD a Charger fan, and by default, that makes him a Raider hater.

19. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I don't think old AL is that damn stupid, well then again you never know. If Donnia signs with the raiduds he should be banned from the city of DAGO.:bolt2:

20. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I think Cooper will be great! not good, GREAT! Hes got all the tools.

But I hate that Donnie is leaving, why get rid of a San Diego native thats been probowl worthy every year? Because you dont like him as a person? drrrrrr:tdown:

Keep Donnie, dont create more problems.

21. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Yup.

Donnie is history and we need some POP at that spot along with our SS who pissses in the street at 2am.

Donnie is a dick and fuc him for thinking he is worth money that is reserved for players who play with some balls instead of a pusssy.

22. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    No ... he ain't right.

It is almost the same **** with Seau.

Both primma donna dickkheads should have been traded and we almost had that 3rd the Saints offered last year.....fuc... :icon_evil:

23. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    Isn't a little early for "Drunk Angry Hornblower"?:icon_eek: :icon_huh:

24. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Where in the hell have you been T Man...get a laptop damit...:tup:

25. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I'm in favor if keeping Donnie. But it's not gonna happen, so no use dwelling on it.

I like Coop, too. It'll be cool watching those guys battle in camp.

26. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    It is never too late or early. :lol:

27. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Anyone who says KEEP DONNIE isn't up on the news.

Boith AJ and Donnie have said Donnie will not be a Bolt next season. Fact.

edit: WB Tman.

28. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    Someone started a thread about you and me at the SDUT today. :icon_rofl:

29. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I have been on the road (Texas) drumming up hoes for my harem. :abq2: :nana_dance: :nana_rock:

A laptop is indeed the next investment and I have been derelict in my duties as of late but I will endevour to get my **** wired tighter. :yes:

30. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    leisure called you a *** while you were gone.