1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Bottled water or Tap?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by wrbanwal, Aug 21, 2007.

1. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Here in Grand Rapids,

the water sucks. It's an old infrastructure (the first in the nation to put fluoride in the city water) and it smells

But, I think I'm going back to filtered tap water

Bottled water costs to much to the environment and pocketbook

I'm trying to live off the grid baby!!!!

:tup:

2. IgorUnchained

IgorUnchained BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    Good on you!

Bottled water is a scam, but unfortunately, I live in a part of Montana that has a rich history of mining and has more lead in the water than I feel comfortable with. I am a bottled water drinker, but wont be after I move out of this place in October.
    It sucks being in Montana, but being in a part where you cant drink the water......about 100 miles away we have a town that is so surrounded by mountains, that in the winter you get alot of smog and they put out air alerts.
    The whole point in living where I do is to enjoy the scenery and natural resources. It is obscene that I live in Montana and pay for water.

3. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

Wow, that's messed up!!

One of my fondest vacation memories was to Montana back in the 80's

Kalispell and Whitefish lake area

I used to fish from the deck of a bar on a river (can't remember the name)

4. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    Sorry bro but I have to do this...

Water is a Matter of Public Debate
    by Dennis Kucinich

Every human being has the right to clean water. In the United States, water has long been considered a vital resource and thus managed in the public interest by local governments accountable to their constituents.

The mission of a public water system is simple: Deliver safe, clean and affordable water to you and your family. Public works projects funded and built our existing water infrastructure, which has served us well during the last century. But our water infrastructure is beginning to show signs of age. Pollution, decaying pipes, depleted aquifers and other problems pose real threats to the U.S. water supply and communities across the nation are looking for ways to bring water systems up to safe and modern standards.

Privatizing water systems, however, is not the answer. Private companies, seeking to extract profits from municipal water systems, dangle lofty promises in order to gain control of local water systems. Corporations want people to believe that only they can efficiently manage water systems.

They seek monopoly contracts to run water systems for generations, or to expand the outright corporate ownership of water supplies and infrastructure.

Yet, from Atlanta to the United Kingdom to Huber Heights, Ohio, private water providers have charged higher rates, deteriorated water quality and failed to make assured investments. In fact, privatization failed so miserably in Atlanta that the city ousted United Water, only four years into a 20-year contract. Four years of broken promises and managerial debacles was more than enough.

Residents in many California communities are increasingly concerned with local water systems falling into the hands of a distant corporation. In Stockton, where city officials recently voted to privatize the public water system, citizens are responding by going door-to-door to collect signatures in an effort to nullify the City Council's decision.

I strongly believe that public control and public administration of the public's water supply is the only way to guarantee the universal human right of access to clean water. A grassroots movement of people is working to protect water from privatization by offering many alternative solutions to solve the global water crisis. Direct citizen participation should be encouraged when basic services such as water are being discussed. I hope that at the World Water Forum, which begins Sunday in Kyoto, Japan, this international movement of people will be heard.

Dennis will pwn anyone who wants to deny you free high quality water :yes:

5. 17Rocks

17Rocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +135
    Article

"PWS = Public Water Source - Pepsi's Aquafina Fesses Up"
    Posting by Staff

July 27, 2007

The label on Aquafina water bottles will soon be changed to spell out that the drink comes from the same source as tap water, the brand's owner said Friday.

A group called Corporate Accountability International has been pressuring bottled water sellers to curb what it calls misleading marketing practices.

Aquafina is the single biggest bottled water brand, and its bottles are now labeled "P.W.S." The new labels will spell out "public water source."

"If this helps clarify the fact that the water originates from public sources, then it's a reasonable thing to do," PepsiCo spokeswoman Michelle Naughton said Friday.

The corporate accountability group is also pressing for similar concessions from The Coca-Cola Co., which owns the Dasani water brand.

Dasani's Web site says that Dasani comes from local water supplies and is then filtered.
    Two of the leading bottled water companies - Dasani and Aquafina (made by Coke and Pepsi) are really nothing more than tap water sent through a couple of filtering processes.

"We don't believe that consumers are confused about the source of Dasani water," Coca-Cola spokeswoman Diana Garza Ciarlante said. "The label clearly states that it is purified water."

Sales of bottled water has been a growing source of revenue for companies such as PepsiCo Inc., based in Purchase, N.Y., and Atlanta-based Coca-Cola as they lessen their dependence on sales of traditional carbonated sodas, as consumer concern over health issues has weakened demand.

Pepsi's Aquafina and Coca-Cola Co.'s Dasani are both made from purified water sourced from public reservoirs, as opposed to Danone's Evian or Nestle's Poland Spring, shipped from locations the companies say have notably clean water.

6. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    Aquafina and Dasani taste horrible to me. All animals have always had minerals in their water, that's what makes it taste like "water". Spring water is the best IMO.

7. chiefsgal

chiefsgal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +443
    proof or not it's the same doesn't matter to me.....to me it taste better....:icon_shrug: :lol: so bottled water for me....:tup:

8. chiefsgal

chiefsgal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +443

:blink:

9. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    My parents have a place in Sula, MT. The water out of the tap there is verrrrrry good.

I live in Chico, ca. The tap water is ok here. But I still get mine in 5 gallon jugs from a water store. It's local tap water that is distilled. I like distilled water vs. filtered. Not sure why, I just like the taste.

Regular bottled water is becoming a pet peeve of mine. If I buy a bottle of water I usually will refill it 30+ times before I pitch the bottle.

10. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    Arnie would be proud of you

[​IMG]

11. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    What happend to my post?

12. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054
    Me too...several per day...I don't like tap at all but I do recycle my bottles in the recycle container on trash day...and I sometimes do refill with filtered tap water from the fridge...water is about the only thing I drink these days so it has to taste good to me.

Also after reading in the UT today about Chula Vista Merchants drinking and using treated sewage water because of a pipe error I'll stick to bottled...I trust Sparkletts and Dasani not to do that to me...yuck.

• Like Like x 1
  13. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    A misquotation is an accidental or intentional misrepresentation of a person's speech or writing, involving one or more of:

* Omission of important context: The context can be important for determining the overall argument the quoted person wanted to make, for seeing whether the quoted statement was restricted or even negated in this context, or for recognizing hints that it was meant as irony.
    * Omission of important parts of the quote.
    * Insertion of allegedly implied words or partial sentences: The inserted portions may be specially marked (e.g. by square brackets or cursive font). Using unmarked insertions is commonly deprecated. In order to constitute a misquotation, the implied portions must alter the meaning of the quote in a way that the original author did not obviously intend.
    * Incorrect rephrasing: The quote is replaced by one which is only superficially identical in meaning, or one or more of the words in the quotation have been replaced by incorrect ones.
    * Misattribution: Attributing someone else's (or no one's in particular) words to a person who did not use them. Misattribution is often found in satire.
    * Misspelling, although usually inadvertent, can sometimes be used deliberately, especially with satirical intent, to portray the quoted person as stupid or uneducated.

The following causes are mostly responsible for misquotations:

* Imperfect reproduction, e.g. from memory, in communication or by transcription. Gossip, which involves many consecutive memorizations and mouth-to-mouth communications, can quickly 'mutate' a quote beyond recognition. In those cases, only the 'kernel' of the quote is held while the rest is omitted or simplified.
    * Misunderstanding, if the person using the quote misjudges the importance of context, partial sentences, or inserts an invalid implication.
    * Malice or deliberate deceit (Quote mining).
    * Humor or satire.

:flag: :flag: :flag:

14. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    I don't drink bottled water or tap in the standard sense.

What I did is buy a few of those two gallon plastic jugs and fill them up at those purified water dispensers in front of supermarkets.

I don't harm the environment with throwing away those cheap plastic bottles, and the plastic jugs I buy were meant to be reused often.

The entire cost is 50 cents per two gallon jug of purified water.

I drink about 4 of these 2-gallon jugs a week, so that's $2.00 per week for the equivalent of bottled water.

• Like Like x 1