1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Bowlen: Broncos will try to trade Cutler

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ghost_, Mar 31, 2009.

1. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/03/31/bowlen-says-broncos-will-try-to-trade-cutler/

Bowlen says Broncos will try to trade Cutler
    Posted: News | NFL.com Staff | Tags: Denver Broncos, Jay Cutler, Josh McDaniels, Pat Bowlen

It’s official: QB Jay Cutler and the Denver Broncos are getting a divorce.

After a contentious and over a month-long falling-out between Cutler and new coach Josh McDaniels couldn’t be resolved, Broncos owner Pat Bowlen issued the following statement today:

“Numerous attempts to contact Jay Cutler in the last 10 days, both by Head Coach Josh McDaniels and myself, have been unsuccessful. A conversation with his agent earlier today clearly communicated and confirmed to us that Jay no longer has any desire to play for the Denver Broncos. We will begin discussions with other teams in an effort to accommodate his request to be traded.”

The bad blood between the QB and McDaniels started in late February when word leaked that the new coach reportedly had discussed a deal that would have brought Matt Cassel to Denver and shipped out Cutler. McDaniels tutored Cassel in New England

2. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    heres what Peter King has to say

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/03/31/Cutler.Broncos/index.html?eref=T1

Broncos, Cutler reach a stalemate; trade now appears inevitable

Apparently convinced that their rift with Jay Cutler is irreconcilable, the Broncos have decided to pursue a trade for their disgruntled quarterback before the April 25 draft.

In a stunning turn of events, Broncos owner Pat Bowlen released a statement at 9 p.m. ET Tuesday saying both he and coach Josh McDaniels had been unable to get Cutler to call them back over the last 10 days.

Bowlen said he spoke with Cutler's agent, Bus Cook, on Tuesday and came away convinced "that Jay no longer has any desire to play for the Denver Broncos."

Therefore, Bowlen said, "We will begin discussions with other teams in an effort to accommodate his request to be traded."

This development is in stark contrast to what the Broncos' stance was at the NFL meetings last week. McDaniels, who created a firestorm of discontent with Cutler when he attempted to secretly trade him in February and the trade failed, seemed certain last week week he would be able to mend fences with Cutler in a private meeting.

A source Tuesday night said McDaniels felt he was at the point of no return with Cutler and had no choice but to pursue a trade.

Among the teams certain to be interested are Tampa Bay, the New York Jets and Detroit, which holds the No. 1 pick in this year's draft. But the Lions may have been swayed to pick Georgia quarterback Matthew Stafford No. 1 overall after his impressive workout Tuesday on the Georgia campus.

Other teams are likely to be interested, including Cleveland, Minnesota, San Francisco and possibly Carolina. It's a virtual cerainity that the Bucs and Jets, both without a bonafide No. 1 quarterback entering the draft, will bid aggressively for Cutler.

Cutler, 25, was the Broncos' first pick and 11th overall in the 2006 draft. Although his record as a starter is only 17-20, he is widely considered to be a franchise quarterback and a player a team can install at quarterback and not worry about the position for the next decade.

He threw 4,526 yards in 2008, but his relationsip with the franchise soured after the man who drafted him, Coach Mike Shanahan, was fired Bowlen in January and after an offensive coordinator he highly respected, Jeremy Bates, left for a similar position at USC when McDaniels chose not to keep him.

The day before free agency began in late February, McDaiels entertained two offers -- thought to be from Tampa Bay and Detroit -- in deals that would have netted the Broncos former McDaniels' pupil Matt Cassell from New England in a package deal that included Cutler.

When Cutler discovered he had been shopped, he was furious because McDaniels had spoken to him as though he would be the long-term quarterback. Over the last month Cutler has simply been unable to get over it. Denver's decision to cut bait with Cutler obviously comes after failed negotiations between McDaniels and Cutler.

IMHO they wont get jack for him cuz he dont want to play for them:icon_rofl::tup:way to go Jay:tup:

3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    I would L-O-V-E to see him in crybaby blue in 2009.

Although he doesnt deserve Calvin Johnson.

4. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Damn. I wanted the little man-child to stay, oh well, here's to hoping the Donks get next to nothing for him. Also, to whoever gets him, good luck, you're going to need it.

5. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    This was inevitable from the day they lost to the Chargers in week 17. Jay Cutler was looking for any excuse to get out of Denver, if he wanted to make it work he could have.

6. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    I feel the exact same way.

7. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    they Broncos were going to suck with Cutler, but now they will really really suck with out him, he is a **** and sucks but at least makes a couple throws, he will never be a championship qb though

8. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    And thus Cuddles the end of Cuddle's career has begun.

9. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    damnit... I wanted to see Merriman get some hits on that little shithead this season.

10. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    I say we trade Wilhelm for him and use Cutler as a 3rd string tackling dummy. Then we can see Merriman still get his shots in. Plus, we'll save some wear and tear on those dummies. They may not cost a whole lot, but when you go through a lot of them those figures really start to add up.

• Like Like x 2
  11. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    They'll have to start all over again. And franchise quarterbacks don't grow on trees.

This year, with a journeyman or a rookie, they'll get 5 wins, tops.

• Like Like x 1
  12. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    I'll trade him a conditional 7th rounder to make him hold Whitehurst's clipboard :lol:

13. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +686
    Bummer. I wanted to see that little b*tch cry and pout all season in Denver and watch the bolts stomp his *** into the ground twice this year.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    I was hoping for the same...

15. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    :icon_rofl:me too!

:icon_eek:honestly I figured he would grow up and come in and the owner would make them play nice, surprised it came to this.

16. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Why would Bowlen spill the beans? It doesn't make sense. Why would he hurt the Broncos compensation? Something doesn't smell right.

To maximise trade value the Donks should be saying that it will work out while trying to make a trade.

17. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    because even he recognizes the epic fail of the organization so he's saying "Oh what's the point in lying?"

I want that little ***** to hold rivers' jock all year

18. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Bowlen's a fuggin' drunk. That's why. :icon_party:

19. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    Cutler is a booze hound who started drinking at age 15. I just hope he stays away from Detroit. I am a recovering Lions fan and will have a hard time with that little b*tch in a Lie Down Uni.

20. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    i started drinking before that and yeah i'm a booze hound too, but this is a case of a young rich dude who doesn't have the right people in his ear. this is bad for all involved IMO.
    jake the snake has got to be love'in what an abortion this has become...

21. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    I will miss Cutler mainly because of the Rivers Cutler mini rivalry that developed. It was fun to watch. I am a charger fan till death but you guys are forgeting that Cutler is young and pretty talented. He was a pro bowler last year. Once someone works with him on 3rd down conversions he is going to be a threat. I bet money that there are a lot of teams scrambling to grab him. The good thing is this could take some focus off the draft and might even mix it up a little. I did want to see merriman bludgin him though.:lol:

• Like Like x 1
  22. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Scott, no one argues his athletic ability. It's his 2cent head that will prevent him from ever becoming a top 5 QB.

The word is out on this guy. Yes, some teams will make a move on him. But he won't be the man hoisting a Lombardi... ever. Just like his biological father... Jeff George.

I will miss him too. And it sucks that I now have to hate Chris Simms, but it appears that's how this thing is going to turn out.

Here's to Cutler the puss. :icon_party:

(Age 15... eh! Little late by my standards)

23. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Only because the media hyped him up .. Not sure I guy that had 18 int's and a qb rating of 86 should have been there.

24. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Best case scenario:

Cutler to Oak for Russell.

That way, we get to keep kicking both their asses twice a year.

• Like Like x 1
  25. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,929
    Best case scenario is Cutler to the Bolts for matt wilhlem:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

26. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
  27. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Exactly. I wanted to see us crush that motherflocker esp. after he fumbled that one in week 2. Dude is just a crybaby loser man. The only good thing is that this will set the Donks back for years now. Cutler to the Lions...

28. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Perfect-that way we could still watch Rivers get into his head along with Merriman.

29. Layne

Layne Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +32
    Totally agree, it will be hard for them to replace him. I know most people here thinks he sucks and i don't like the guy one bit, but i do think he will get better if he matures from this and if he doesn't, well we all know how that story goes. It's not his lack of talent, skill, or god given ability. It's ego and lack of maturity that hinders him.

Funny how the Broncos have cheated themselves out of they're last 2 franchise QB's. As far as him being a drunk, well you can look at a quarter of all the NFL players that ever played the game and 3 quarters of the entire league fanbase. I think this is great news for the Chargers, Denver won't get anyone of the same caliber that can jump in a new system with 15 free agents. 5-11 at best next season.:icon_toast:

30. clontarf_bolt

clontarf_bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +40
    I admit seeing Rivers getting inside Cutler's head and then crushing him is fun, but I'm sick of his whinny ***** ways and will be delighted if he leaves and becomes somebody else's problem :bolt: