1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Boxing workouts help Bolts' Olivea stay fit

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltssbbound, May 2, 2007.

1. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/05/02/sports/scholfield/22_09_225_1_07.txt

By: STEVE SCHOLFIELD - Senior Sports Columnist

SAN DIEGO -- Spend a few minutes with Chargers offensive tackle Shane Olivea, and you get the feeling he is ready for the season opener today.

Olivea is not only excited about the Chargers' future but he's exhausted as well.

Yes, exhausted.

He's been going through a rigid offseason training program with new strength coach Jeff Hurd -- a program that includes boxing.

"I have a whole new respect for boxing," Olivea said on Tuesday between workout sessions. "I didn't think a minute was so long. The first time I did it, I was dog tired. I couldn't lift my shoulders, they were so sore."

Hurd, the Chargers' new strength and conditioning coach, knew that the 6-foot-4, 305-pound Olivea wanted to increase his endurance while reducing body fat. So he suggested boxing.

"It's all bag work," Olivea said. "No one is going to put on head gear. We aren't that dumb. I could see a difference in my wind in about two weeks."

Olivea, the son of a New York firefighter, approaches his workouts with the same passion he displays on the field.

It is his work ethic that turned Olivea, a seventh-round draft pick in 2004, into one of the game's most respected linemen.

Several times on Sunday, NFL draft announcers mentioned Olivea as a "steal." Other late-round picks were tagged with the phrase: "He could be another Shane Olivea."

But Olivea takes offense at such talk.

"It just goes to show that it is not where you are drafted," Olivea said. "I've accomplished more than Robert Gallery (the second overall pick in the same draft). I'm the shortest right tackle in the league and I take pride in that."

:lol:

Click on the Link to Read the Rest of the Article

2. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    Special sauce for you.....:icon_tease:

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    i loooove that quote

he's also performed better hten Nat Dorsey, jacob rogers and Kelly Butler whom we wanted as well

4. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Gallery got Shane OliveOWNED

• Like Like x 1
  5. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288
    Isn't this the 3rd Charger to do boxing in the off-season? LoNeal, Merriman and now Olivea..:abq1:

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    maybe it should be a standard part of everyone's conditioning

7. PhillyChargerFan

Ratings:
    +288
    That's what I was thinking too.

Hey I got a GREAT idea! maybe on the next podcast you can hang a speedbag in the garage and do a little workout for us :icon_shrug: :yes: :tup:

:icon_rofl:

8. goboilers

goboilers BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50
    i hope this helps him

9. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Shane Olivea is a POS. :tdown:

10. goboilers

goboilers BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50
    :icon_sad: unfortunately true...

11. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    Olivea's incompetence caused Rivers lisfranc injury. :tdown: :no:

12. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Stick to what you do best--smoking the purple urple and going off on semi-coherent rants about teams and destiny and pain and ****.

Olivea is not nearly as bad as you make him out to be.

13. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    No, but he still aint a good RT and Rivers is still limping because of it.

14. PhillyChargerFan

Ratings:
    +288
    True, but as of right now he's the best RT we got :icon_eek:

15. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    Roman Oben? :icon_shrug:

16. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    I thought all of us smoked the purple urple here.... :icon_shrug: :icon_huh: :unsure:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    That dude is going to get Rivers killed. Olivea is crap and I have seen him whiff and miss and flail way too often while getting beat. Enough is enough. If our right tackle is not a 6'7" behemoth with a wing span of a condor, everybody is fooling themselves including you. It is a joke and pathetic some have accepted this as NFL caliber play.

Look no further than cloning a McNeill at right tackle and then you have a real right tackle otherwise Olivea has to go. Goff is right behind him and Hardwick is bringing up the rear for lack of talent - yeah Hardwick.

So do what you do best and keep protecting our glaring weaknesses and turning a blind eye to the obvious. Shane Olivea sucksass BAD.

If you were LT, would you run right or left to save your *** ? Thought so.

18. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Oben is a way better lockdown tackle versus Olivea. Oben does not get beat. Oben did not get beat on the left side and playing the easier right side tackle spot is just that - easier.

I suspect most posters fell in love with the shortest tackle 7th round draft pick who made a POS line as some sort of feel good story to support Oliveas existance. The truth of the matter is that we have not had anybody worth a **** traditionally on the O-line and Olivea is at the bottom of the reject pile when he was drafted. That is why we needed Manu to help Olivea's glaring weaknesses otherwise, give me another Gates at TE.

19. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    Don't try to school me Hornblower that was exactly my point. :icon_evil:

20. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    Didn't we also hear it from you first that LT was done last year? :icon_rofl:

21. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    Just taking a shot in the dark. :lol:

22. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    There was nothing at our pick who was worthy as a fatboy so A.J. did what he had to do and filled a need with the best player available. I am ok with that but I am not OK with our lines...Offense and defense and since I have first posted anywhere, that has been my biggest beef (other than Brees being a lying cokksuker).

14-2 does not mean **** to me. Even winning one playoff game and then exiting does not mean **** to me.

Watching LT dying on the vine because it takes Olivea 10 strides to McNeills one stride to cover the same distance is killing me. Goff looks like Dan Fouts running or even Philip Rivers. It is not pretty. It is like watching a bear on its hind legs trying to haul ***......not good.

23. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I know that. I wanted to show you my Vulcan-like prowess and get that **** on electronic paper. :yes:

leisure just has a hard-on for Oben because he wants to be right about his foot the same way I was right about Brees' shoulder. He is dying to be right about something so an injury is his last resort - but you knew that.........

24. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    Dude that is myopia at the highest level. :icon_toast:

25. PhillyChargerFan

Ratings:
    +288

But, BMW is going to tear the league up?? :icon_shrug: :no:

26. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928

:icon_huh:

Oben did come in late in the year I thought when McNeil came out. I don't remember which game just that it was late in teh year, McNeil stepped out for a few plays and Oben came in (Seattle or KC at home maybe?)

Btw I like the idea of giving Lekkerkeker his fair shot at playing RT; guy's a big sunuvagun

Edit: 2006: Roman Oben spent first nine weeks of season on “Physically Unable to Perform” list while recovering from offseason foot surgery…was placed on PUP list on Aug. 28…inactive Weeks 10-12 & 13…dressed but did not play Weeks 11 & 14.