1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Bradley Roby Arrested

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by matilack, Apr 24, 2014.

1. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,720
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +121
  3. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,720
    Yeah but it's becoming a pattern now. Anyone stupid enough to get in trouble weeks before the draft is too stupid for me.

Maybe round 3 he comes back up as an option.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. charger1993

Ratings:
    +121
    he wont make it out of round 2. Kid has potential. I personally love him. hes a kid and kids do stupid things. Doesnt mean it will happen again. Id draft him. Just like i was screaming for leg blount. N v burfict

5. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,073
    Engh. He's not particularly bright for this, but it isn't going to affect his stock a ton - any team that was going to knock him for character will have already done so for the bar incident last year. In this case it's more just a matter of, "Wow you're boneheaded to put yourself in this situation when you could have called your agent no matter what time of day/night it was and he'd have willingly given his credit card number to a cab company to take you wherever you want to go!"

Just writing character stuff off as "they're kids, they do stupid stuff" is horribly naive. But I will say, not quite so much in this case though there is some cause for concern, repeat incidents involving substances should be red flags - particularly as the league has ratcheted up their enforcement and punishment under the Substance Abuse Policy in the past 5 years and shown no qualms about holding past incidents that occurred prior to their tenure in the NFL against players. A player is absolutely no good to a team if he's not able to get on the field because of his own repeated "stupid mistakes/decisions."

Some people really underrate/downplay personal accountability.

6. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,720
    For me it kinda confirms all the fears and notions I had about him.

It honestly felt as if I had been expecting his name in this headline eventually.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. charger1993

Ratings:
    +121
    this happens alot tho.they make bad decisions. Im in noway downplaying it.but i dont think.008 blood alchool content is bad. Thats 1 glass of wine. But every year a headline negatively affects a player, we dnt draft them and theyre probowl players.

8. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,073
    And there's no proven correlation that the arrest was what caused us to not draft said player. So it seems a fairly moot argument to lament.

Making a single bad decision is forgivable. Making multiple bad decisions suggests that something is up - it could be any number of somethings but it shows, if nothing else, that the player is careless in the personal life and isn't making the connection between how their personal life can have an adverse effect on their professional life.

Barring the rare exceptions of corrupt/power-trip officers, if a person is detained by police and administered a breathalyzer test, it means that that the officer established grounds for administering the breath test (i.e. a failed field sobriety test). The person may not be under the influence of alcohol (hence the low BAC) but could still be under the influence of something (remember Jim Irsay?), giving the police reason to want to bring him back to the station to administer a blood or urine test. In this case, it sounds like Roby reasonably acquitted himself to the officer who let him off with only a citation, no harm, no foul.

That said, if I'm going to invest millions of dollars into a player, much less pass over similar players who don't have these issues, I'm damn sure going to consider the fact that a guy who realizes that the biggest day in his professional career (thus far) is coming up in two weeks and he goes out drinking with the intent of driving back with ANY alcohol in his system to raise an eyebrow slightly. It's unnecessarily irresponsible - and at least slightly shows that he's not putting much thought into the potential repercussions of decisions before he makes them.

9. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    I see thing is more in the minor, yet bonehead incident category. But with the draft being pushed back later, I see this sort of trend happening more often in the future. Right around this time, most teams and players are done with their visits and have nothing else going on but to sit around and wait. There leading to more likely to get in some sort of trouble. When in college they had their system and rules to abide by, Now, they don't have those teammates/coaches to turn to. Some of these kids need some sort of structure, once he gets into the NFL and into a good locker room this could be a non issue

10. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +354
    Had a feeling this day was coming. I don't downplay this at all. A bad decision is a bad decision. I have made plenty. However, this is multiple occasions, and 2 weeks before the biggest day of your life? Shows he is not overly bright and probably will do worse at the next level when he has millions in his pocket.

11. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,223
    Much ado about nuthin...

12. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    That was my very first thought.

13. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +611
    I don't know much about this player as I do not follow college football, so I'm neither a proponent nor an opponent of drafting him.

However, from my understanding (just skimming through the report briefly) it seemed to me that he was sleeping "it" off in his parked vehicle and was NOT arrested while driving under the influence. I'd wager that all of us, I mean EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US, have at some point in our lives have exercised terrible judgment and have actually driven a vehicle while over the legal blood alcohol limit.

If my understanding of the reporting is correct, this will NOT effect his stock to fall from a projected late 1st, early 2nd down to the 3rd round. Wishful thinking.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    What??? So having a few drinks (.008 is about 2 beers IIRC, depending on a bunch of stuff), and falling asleep in your car rather than driving home lowers his draft stalk....Thats laughable.

Like LBC said, this wont effect the teams worried about his character, they'd already have downgraded him after that bar incident.

The guy wasn't over the legal limit, and almost for sure wont be charged with anything. Not even that, but he made the conscious choice to sit in his car and wait it out instead of driving home drunk. I just dont see a how this is in the least bit a problem for him

You really just want to bash this guy dont you matilak?

15. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,720
    Duff chill, they clearly updated the article since I originally posted the link.

Published: April 24, 2014 at 07:27 p.m.
    • Updated: April 25, 2014 at 03:05 p.m.

Last night we didn't know about the Breathalyzer only registering .008 (which I agree is really weak considering .08 is the legal limit) this is information released today. I do distinctly remember the words "arrested" in the headline (and in the link as you can see), and "failed sobriety test" in the body, which have clearly been revised.

So sure, his early 2nd round value has been restored.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  16. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    I didn't actually read the article you posted, but another one that i saw on FF last night, and by the time i read it last night they had the details about the .008 breathalizer.

He was arrested, but just because he was arrested, doesn't mean that he was actually charged with anything. You can be detained without being charged.

And i'm sure he failed a field sobriety test or something like that, or else they wouldn't have done a breathalizer test. But i feel like that could be kind of skewed if he had just woken up and asked to walk around and keep your balance and all that kind of stuff.

Also lesson learned from a few of my friends, if you ever want to sleep in a car, disconnect the battery. If the vehicle is not opperational, they can't detain you for any of this stuff.

The way you made this thread a kind of "told you he was a ******" thing kind of irked me the wrong way though

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,720
    Had he actually been drunk, or high, or both while behind the wheel of a car, and arrested and promptly bailed out...that's exactly what this thread would have been.

The thing is I expect stuff like this from guys like Roby, where as I would have been very surprised if it had been Jason Verrett or any number of other guys like Zack Martin or Brandin Cooks. And that's what worries me, my complete lack of surprise when I read the misleading original article.

18. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,073
    How much of that has to do with Urban Meyer though?;)

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    Tried, convicted, and sentenced all in one thread.

What a ******* joke.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,720
    It's was a botched story, and no doubt Roby deserves an apology from the people who misreported the facts.

Pretty sure that had been established prior to your little outburst here.;)

21. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,720
    True. Meyer is a holier than thou poser prick who doesn't give two shits about the actual welfare of the kids playing for him.

22. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    police report says he's 184 pounds after weighing 194 at the combine, so hey there's that I guess.:) Could be another thing to downgrade him on

23. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    Yeah - like you, who couldn't wait to jump in & convict.

24. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,720
    Yeah shame on me for going off sketchy sources like...um...NFL.com. :coffee:

I backtracked when the story changed the next day, and openly said Roby was treated unfairly....so I'm not quite sure what you're trying to accomplish here...

25. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    hahaha, though i'm pretty sure the police reports go off the weight that is put on the drivers license

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  26. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,720
    What are you trying to say? My drivers license is 100% accurate.:whistling:

27. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    Oh trust me.....my drivers license says I'm 4 inches shorter and 50-60 lbs lighter than i am...hahaha, If people had to put that description out now if i did something, i wouldn't even be a suspect...lol

• Like Like x 1
  28. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    To out you for the judgmental reactionary you are. Very simple.

• Informative Informative x 1
  29. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,720
    Okay then. I hope you feel like it was a success.:tup:

30. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,073
    Up until I was in my mid-20's my driver's license had a picture of 16 year old me on it. Messed with bartenders and bouncers like nobody's business.