1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Brady my be done in NE

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Jan 4, 2009.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3809444

Sources: Pats to franchise Cassel

2. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
  3. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Brady's legacy is cemented. He'll be fine no matter how this goes down. Cassel isn't even close as a QB. Someone is gonna overpay big time. Whether it's NE or some other team, it's a sure thing. Good for Matt...

4. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    If NE doesn't want Brady anymore, we'll take him as River's backup. :lol:

5. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    No, never I can't look at this face.:tdown:

6. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Yep..there isn't much doubt Brady will be a first ballot HOFer when the time comes...in the meantime, as usual, mum is the word coming out of Foxboro or anywhere else as to Brady's knee or his rehab. Rumors are going off in all directions...there are those who say he is done....there are those who say he is done for 2009, and there are those who scoff at both of those scenarios saying he is doing fine, and rehab is right on schedule. The only ones who know what is really going on are Brady, his doctors, and the Patriots organization (and I'd be willing to bet that knowledge is shared with only a few well chosen confidants on a "need-to-know" basis).

What we do know is that as long as Brady's situation remains a mystery, Cassel's worth rises. Kraft and his crew are in no hurry to release any data as regards the situation. There is no need.

They will undoubtedly franchise Cassel. If Brady is truly messed up, the Pats have a functioning young QB whose skills are developing and whose knowledge of the system is one starting year old. If Brady is fine, they can trade Cassel to the highest bidder and reap the rewards of that deal...they still have O'Connel and Gutierez they can develop.

The only really bad aspect of the scenario is having Tom Brady either on the sideline or out of the league forever. That is a scenario I personally find difficult to imagine. I would have to take my life should that happen.

7. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    The Pats aren't going to get rid of Brady. They are just hoping some team is stupid enough to give up a bunch of picks for Cassel. Brady will be the Pats QB next year.

8. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80

Yup, what he said.:tup:

9. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    How rich are the Detroit Lions or maybe the Jets....Bears...Vikings?

Who else?

10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    Maybe Oakland or Denver will give you something, I hear their QBs can't win :lol:

11. cool arrow

cool arrow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    There is one team stupid enough in Texas that is known for giving multiple picks for one player. Hmmm....

12. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    I think the organization has a good idea what's happening in camp Brady, they aren't going to franchise Matt without a good idea of Tom's return.

13. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    And let's hope they have enough data to make a well informed decision by February 19...the last day they can tag a player as franchise.

14. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    So what happens if Brady declares he's ready to go, and wants his job back?

15. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    I'm reasonably sure it will take a little more than that. Doctors' reports, rehab data, and I seriously doubt Tom will put the team in any kind of danger by trying to lie about the health of his knee.

If Tom can play, he will get his job back, and if he can't play he won't get his job back.

Wouldn't you agree it's kind of a logical thing? Football first and foremost is a business that tries to generate as much profit for the owner as a team can generate. Playing sentimental with injured players doesn't make good business sense when payrolls approach $125 million a year. Kraft and Belichick will base their decision on what is best for the Patriots. Knowing Brady and his relationship to Patriots management, I'd bet the house he won't try to blow smoke by them...plus, performance reports don't lie.

16. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,930
    I think when it comes to playing and to the fear of being declared irrelevant or obsolete, especially for a player with the ego of Tom Brady, that he'd be willing to do that. Alternatively those same traits might lead Brady to tell the Pats to bleep off and trade him.

17. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Thanks.

18. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    If Cassell gets Franchise tagged, there are two versions.

Exclusive and Non-exclusive.

Exclusive Franchise Tag means the Patriots will not entertain any offers. Period. No team can even talk to the Patriots or Cassell. It is an exclusive right the team holds over the player's rights for one year at a time.

Non Exclusive Franchise tag means the Patriots are looking for a sucker to give up Dual First Round draft picks.

Watch which version is used because they speak volumes in my book.

If the Patriots use the Exclusive Franchise tag on Cassell that tells me Brady may be gone and there is more that meets the eye than we know.

The Chargers recently used the non-exclusive version of the franchise tag on Drew Brees and for very good reason. Both tags are paid at the same level of money (avg. of the Top 5 QB's) but it gave the Chargers wiggle room to do some horse trading.

If the Chargers had used the Exclusive version of the Franchise tag on Brees, that told me that Rivers would have been on the trading block. We all saw the results. :bolt:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Excellent points...thanks for the analysis.

20. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I had to edit Brady to Cassell ... oooppsss....

Anyway, the franchise tag versions are something many of our fans did not know even existed until we hit Brees with the lesser version of the franchise tag (non exclusive).

Something to consider ..........

21. GreyHoodie

GreyHoodie BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    Brady being ready and franchising Cassel are separate issues. Patriots could very well franchise Cassel and then trade him.

In fact most experts say that not franchising Cassel would be a mistake regardless of Brady's condition, given the number of teams needing a QB.

22. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    Reading post 18, there's more to it than just franchising Cassel, and like Trumpy said it will speak volumes about the status of Brady.