1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Brady Quinn: 5 yrs, 20.2M

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by captaind, Aug 7, 2007.

1. captaind

captaind Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +23
  2. Buttmunch

Buttmunch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    Bring it on SDRon! I want to hear it. :unsure:

3. Buttmunch

Ratings:
    +108
    I heard he was charging $75-$200 for autographs. You have a lot of hard working, blue collar folks who will not let the young man forget this act of complete stupidity. I love ND, but Quinn really f'd up on this one. I keep hearing the guys on the radio blame the agents, but c'mon. As a player, you need to step up and just say no. At the end of the day, you are going to be the one out there getting pelted by boos and anything else the dogpound can find to throw at you. Very dissapointing.

4. Buttmunch

Ratings:
    +108
    Not to mention the kid is originally from Ohio. Stupid, just stupid.

5. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Brady Quinn will be a failure in the NFL.

6. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    This guys attitude has put a tremedous amount of pressure on himself to turn that team around. The potential for disaster is at an all time high. I look forward to the carnage.

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    How to alienate your fan base and piss people off

1. Say you want to play for the team you grew up watching
    2. Supply cute pictures to ESPN
    3. Go home and charge huge quantites to your fans for autographs
    4. Demand to be paid like someone who was picked 20 spots ahead of you
    5. Suck *** in your first mini-camp
    6. Hold out to basically ensure that the job that they offered you on a freakin silver platter is out of your reach
    7. Suck some more

8. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Quinn is not accurate enough to be a successful NFL QB. Waste of money.

Rick Mirer II.

9. captaind

Ratings:
    +23
    He's bantha fodder.

10. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Fans will forgive if the dude can play.

Many Charger fans were seriously ticked off when LT and Jammer held out, and they reported much later than Quinn is.

And foober wanted to trade both River AND Merriman before they signed their first contract.

Not to mention names or anything. :lol:

11. Buttmunch

Ratings:
    +108
    I remember one of the veins on my forehead imploding during one of my many arguments with Foob over Merriman's "hold out" at the time.

The only thing that really got to me about Quinn was the autograph thing, especially when he was already holding out for more money. I have a lot of respect for other die hard fans, and the dog pound is no different.
    Hell, Joe Montana, Emmitt Smith and those guys charge less for their autographs at some of the big card shows and those guys are hall of famers.

12. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    :lol: stop making sense!@##%

Seriously, I watched ALOT of Brady Quinn in college, my dad is a huge ND fan and sicne I grew up watching ND I still do along with USC. QUinn is so overrated it's shcking. He lost every single big time game he was in the entire time @ ND, from regular season matchups w/ USC, Michigan, to the bowl game vs. LSU. He's average at best. He's Joey Harrington v2.0 w/out the piano skillz.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-raidersrussell080507&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

The holdout of No. 1 overall pick and quarterback JaMarcus Russell over contract talks with the Oakland Raiders figures to be a lengthy one, according to two sources with knowledge of the negotiations.

"This could go to September, easily, with the way the Raiders have approached it," a source said. "Their approach has been from the start of this that it's their way or the highway. They were told before the (NFL) draft that if that's how they wanted to do it, they shouldn't draft (Russell) … Look, this could be done in two days if they'd just realize it's not going to happen the way they think."

Moreover, the talks have grown increasingly tense after Raiders managing general partner Al Davis insinuated to the media on Thursday that part of the cause of the holdout was the inexperience of Russell's agents, Eric Metz and Ethan Lock. However, the agents have spent more than 30 years combined in the business.

Metz has been certified by the NFLPA since 1986. Lock has been certified since 1994. Together they have represented more than 25 first-round picks. By contrast, Raiders negotiator Marc Badain never had negotiated a contract for a first-round pick until this year.

Davis said a major issue is that Metz and Lock wanted a significant portion of the $29 million in guaranteed money Russell is eligible to get paid in the form of an option bonus. The Raiders are hesitant to pay an option bonus because such a bonus can't be recovered if a player retires, such as Barry Sanders, or gets in trouble, such as Michael Vick.

On Saturday, a source countered Davis' contention by saying an option bonus wasn't necessary.

"The Calvin Johnson contract is a perfect blueprint for how they can do it if they want," the source said. The Johnson contract features a combination of guaranteed base salaries and advances to Johnson. Ultimately, Johnson gets $27 million guaranteed as part of a deal that could be worth a maximum of $64 million.

The real problem, according to both sources, is Oakland has been unwilling to give a full "skill" guarantee to the $29 million. To this point, the Raiders only have guaranteed all the money in case Russell gets injured.

A skill guarantee covers a player in case he is cut because a team simply doesn't consider him good enough. Such questions of talent seem odd for the No. 1 overall pick.

"The Raiders were told that structure wasn't going to work then and it's not going to work now," a source said. "It's completely unacceptable. No No. 1 pick has ever agreed to that kind of deal in the salary cap era, and it's not going to start now."

There have been 15 players drafted No. 1 overall since 1993. According to an NFL Players Association source, none of them has received a contract that did not include the skill and injury guarantees.

In addition, both sources said Oakland has tried to push a large amount of the guaranteed money back to being paid in the fourth year of the contract.

"That's ridiculous, too, because if the kid turns out to be a great player, they're going to want to redo the deal after the third year, just like what the Bengals did with Carson Palmer and Atlanta with Michael Vick," the source said. "In that case, (Russell) is never going to see the money he was supposed to get in this contract. He's just going to have a new deal. The Raiders are trying every trick they can find to get around paying the money."

:icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl:

14. captaind

Ratings:
    +23
    My dad is an ND diehard as well. I actually watched a few games last season (probably 5 or so), and I had the same impression as you: no accuracy. He was better suited as a day-two pick, IMO.

15. Buttmunch

Ratings:
    +108
    I believe this is also referred to as the Robert Gallery clause.

16. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    :yes:

17. oldschool1

oldschool1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    He's going to take the money and run.

He held out because he knows he's not that great a QB, he just needed to get more guaranteed money because he's not going to earn the rest.

Oldie Out

18. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    quinns too dopey looking to give 20 mill to.

19. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    The new Leaf is turning Brown.(over in his grave)

20. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    leaf aint dead and trust me QUinn is still a LONG way away from being a Leaf

21. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Exactly, I don't know why people think he'll be this special QB, he wasn't that great at Notre Dame.

22. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Yup. More like Rick Mirer "Light".

• Like Like x 2
  23. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    Not foober's name, but you mean "Cry me a Rivers"??? lol

I'd bet most players charge for autographs at one time or another. Otherwise they wouldn't be sitting at a card shop or mall all day.

• Like Like x 1
  24. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,930
    Avoid QBs with GHT, look for the QBs with LITE

25. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    with an E in front of it

26. Buttmunch

Ratings:
    +108
    Huh, can't remember the number of records he broke, but they included some of Joe Montana's and Joe Theismann's. He is what he is in the NFL, but he wasn't exactly a stick in the mud in college.

27. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    If you watched him play he didn't look that special, bad accuracy and choked in big games.

28. Buttmunch

Ratings:
    +108
    Haven't exactly missed a game in years.....but, other than that....

29. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    I have nothing against him, it's just from what I saw I didn't think he was this top 10 QB a lot of people thought he was. Talent wise alone I'm not sure he really deserved being a 1st rounder but that's another topic.

30. Kyle

Kyle BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    I always respected Merriman for doing that. I understand you don't get a shot at a new contract every year so you have to maximize your opportunities. But at the same time, you're a football player and you need to be on the field. Some things are worth fighting for, but sometimes these guys are staying out of camp while splitting hairs on their contract.