1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Brandon Coleman

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by tito, May 3, 2014.

1. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    I was hoping to get some comments on Brandon Coleman 6'6 WR, 4.56 40 from Rutgers. He's not really the guy we need opposite KA at #2, but his size and decent speed, make him in interesting 3-5 round prospect. Was injured some last year. Seems to be hard worker and was a team captain. I like to have a mix of skill sets and body types on the team and another huge target for Rivers is appealing. Thoughts?

Here's the NFL.com analysis on him:

2. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +768
    I like him, my obvious choice if we address the WR position later after going hard on defense.

3. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    Maybe Coleman doesn't fit what TT and McCoy want at WR, but if they are true to form and want to give Rivers tools he likes to use, then a big jump ball type WR is needed.

Rivers pretty much mentioned this on that classic interview after the Denver game last year, using his hand to show a height differential and than saying "we haven't even be able to add that element with DX and Floyd out". So last year it was clearly something he wanted to have at his disposal.

I think he's a better QB for being in a system that doesn't rely or require that size advantage, but it would be nice to have.

4. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Hall of Fame

Ratings:
    +222
    Bryant could be there at 57 and is better than as a prospect.

5. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,605
    I have almost no interest in Coleman. If he's there in the 6th I guess, okay.

6. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    Bryant is one of the few guys I'm worried about. Kind of has bust and attitude written all over him. I kind of feel the same about Benjamin.

I think Coleman represents decent 4th or 5th round value.

Why?

7. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,605
    Really slow off the line.
    Really poor change of direction.
    Needs a ton of work on his route running, basically all he runs is a 2 and 9 at this point.
    Catches the ball with his body.

There is just too much work to be done there despite the potential red zone value, and even then his vert was only 32 inches, very poor.

8. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    Ok, thanks. His measurements stack up almost evenly with Benjamin. Same vert, cone and 10 yard. With Coleman having a much better bench press , a better 40, with smaller hands, an inch more in height and 15lbs lighter in weight.

I think he's moves pretty well for a guy his size. He's not very graceful on film, but I think it's somewhat deceiving. He does need to be coached up to use his size better, but VJ needed help there too ( not comparing players). I think he's a 4th or 5th round pick, but because of his size I could see him going earlier in the 3rd maybe.

Obviously, there are much better WRs in this draft, but he's a guy I find interesting to say the least.

9. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,605
    I'm honestly not a huge Benjamin fan either.

I know you weren't comparing the players but the point is everyone else is ultimately looking for the next VJ. Neither of them are Vincent Jackson, who at 6'5 240 at the combine, ran a 4.46 40, had a 39 inch vertical, a 3 cone drill under 7 seconds (this is unbelievable for his size) did 20+ bench reps and had a wonderlic score in the 30's. He was also a PUNT RETURNER, that's the kind of freak he was haha! If he had played at even a small D1 school he'd have been a top 10 pick.

Unless they just represented ridiculously good value, like Keenan Allen in the 3rd round last year, I just don't take the risk on either.

If you're looking for a bargain big WR, take a glance at Marcus Lucas from Missouri. Supposed to be a late day 3 guy but I like him quite a bit more than Coleman despite the lack of production. There is a lot of times he's open and just doesn't get the ball.

Last edited: May 3, 2014
  10. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    Size doesn't matter. If you get separation and get open Rivers is going to find you and fire it in there. Rarely did we see those "jump" balls this season, but that also had to do with Malcolm Floyd being out the entire year.

Like we saw in Cincy, on goaline situations I never understood why it took 18 weeks to figure out if we should throw a fade to Ladarius Green in the endzone. That was mind boggling.

11. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +123
    Yeah, Matilak pretty much summed up the argument, not quick, at all, doesn't get seperation and isn't very physical attacking and going up to get the ball. Honestly, Allen was probably the best jump ball WR in college last year. We're just missing the height that he's used to, and i think thats more of an adjustment than him missing it. We had a huge lack of talent behind allen last year that he was constantly getting doubled, and you cant go jump balls with 2 guys bracketing him.

We just need someone to take pressure off Allen, and i dont think it has to be a specific type of WR, especially if Floyd is able to play for even a part of next year.

12. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,032
    I tend to agree. A number of receivers I'd take over him, and if we're intent on someone with a build akin to his to fill the void of Floyd (or that will be created again once Floyd gets injured again) then Pittsburgh's Devin Street is a better option as he's quite literally a Malcom clone.

That said, there are plenty of receivers (including in this class) who are sub-6'3", but who have shown themselves very capable of boxing out DB's and high-pointing the ball to pluck it out of the air with solid vertical leaping ability. Rod Smith was only 6'0", 200 lbs. but he never struggled in that department for Denver; same with 6'1", 213 lbs. Jimmy Smith for Jacksonville (I'm on a roll of Smith's here). But with regard to Coleman, the body catching is what really sours me on him.