1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Brandon Marshall in Free agency. Go after him AJ!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by NORV4LIFE, Jan 8, 2010.

1. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    With Brandon Marshall looking like he will not be resigning with the broncos this year is it wise to go after him? VJ is great but Marshall may be even better. With both becoming free agents if VJ leaves we should definitely target Marshall and try to resign floyd. Perhaps if VJ goes to ravens we could get 1st and 3rd pick. Then we sign Marshall too and end up better off than before.

If VJ comes back Marshall might be that other receiver Rivers needs to have a Marino/Manning type Record Setting season with 45+td's 4500+ yards and 110+ passer rating.

Imagine VJ and Marshall as the top 2 receivers. Then gates at TE and probably Bennet or some low paid back in the backfield. How could you not like that? With VJ GATES and Brandon Marshall, we could make Moss/welker, Harrison/Wayne Rice,Owens and many other great receiver combos look like college amateurs!!! JACKSON and Marshall are 2 huge big physical receivers. Even if we threw 100% of the time and the other team new what was coming they would be helpless. Marshall has been Denver's entire offense this year getting passes from a crappy QB in double coverage and still has had 100 catches!!!

Even with double or triple coverage Marshall dominated opposing secondaries this year. Now imagine him with big time targets VJ and gates on his team!!! He would draw coverage away from Gates and VJ. There is no way that d's could cover all three. They would have to double VJ gates and Marshall to stop them. If they did that they would only have 5 guys in the box and anyone could run all over them. Plus if there was a 3rd receiver he would either be uncovered or have single coverage and that would leave only 4 guys in the box!!! THis could be the solution.

Rivers is becoming a truly great QB. With this Triad of pass catchers he could easily have a better year than Marinos record year, Brady's record year or Manning's record year!!!!!

Imagine other teams knowing we are going to throw every down, coming out with 6 defensive backs and still getting shredded mercilessly on every series. Imagine opposing teams having to deal with the bolts putting up 40+ points a game on an AVERAGE day.:abq1: No one would be able to compete. 1 of the three receivers would have to be in single coverage and could burn d's. If not than our other 8 guys could have their way easily!!!

This may sound crazy but I think Marshall is the way to go. Either Marshall and Jackson Ideally, Marshall and Floyd or even Marshall and TO/steve breaston!!!!

2. WyomingBoltFan

WyomingBoltFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312
    I wouldn't want the headaches that someone like Marshall would bring. He's trouble.

3. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    NO thanks. Go after Josh Cribbs. We can then 'afford' to lose Sprolesy. :tup:

• Like Like x 1
  4. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    We cannot afford to lose Sproles for Cribbs because Sproles is a RB, a very good RB at what he does, and given our lack of depth at the position, signing Cribbs instead makes no sense, especially when Sproles is explosive on special teams, as well, and given that ST players can totally fall off the cliff (SEE: Hester, Devin).

I think the Bolts would be wise to sign Marshall for one simple fact: they are excellent at handling distractions. Although I could bring up Merriman and Cro, I will choose to bring up Marshall counterpart Vincent Jackson. With a number of very questionable plays on the field during his tenure (spiking the ball into a fumble, a number of stupid misconduct penalties) and off the field (2 DUIs), he is no angel, but you barely hear a word about him as a "problem player".

I do agree that Marshall has more off-the-field baggage, but I think putting him into a favorable on-the-field situations would do wonders.

Would I want him instead of VJax? No way. Would I want him alongside VJax? Hell yes.

5. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    isn't he a restricted free agent?

6. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    I am sure he will be tendered, and retained because teams will know that the Donks are pretty much forced to trade him.

If we could get Marshall for 2 years at RFA money for a 2nd/3rd and Floyd. in the words of Pete Townshend, "I call that a bargain." :abq1:

7. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    Go after a high profile free agent that is a bad person and a locker room cancer. Yeah, that sounds like AJ's MO.

:icon_rofl:

8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    No ****. :lol:

9. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    I'll take "Thread topics pertaining to things that shouldn't and definitely won't happen" or 200 Alex.

C'mon, threads like this and people agreeing with it should force the mods to mandate posters age in their sig.

No charger fan should consider this guy a fraction of an option. Locker room disaster story, primadonna, huge desired salary, where do you start to drool at that?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Big talent + bad attitude + questionable work ethic = Hellz no!

11. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    If they were going to sign anyone for big money, why not keep VJ?

12. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,421
    If WR was a need position for us I'd say yes even with his attitude problems.

But there's no need to bring a headcase in when we have VJ, Floyd, and Naanee.

13. BajaBolt

BajaBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +14
    If there's no CBA, I believe the top 4 teams (those that play in the AFC and NFC Championship games) in the league cannot even sign a free agent- except the ones already on their roster- until someone signs one of their free agents. And then it has to be someone of equal or lesser value or something like that.

So with the expectations that we win at least our first playoff game, i don't think we'll even have the option to go after the top tier guys.

Let's stick to the plan of getting our own guys under contract and reload in the draft. Especially if one of our RFA gets signed to an offer sheet, we might have some ammunition in the draft.

And, phuck Brandon Marshall. Prima donna wide outs are team killers.

14. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    you think age is a factor??

:lol:

15. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    Sounds like another case of someone combining Cheerios, window-pane, and beer at 2 in the morning, it brings creepy thoughts like that in dreams...

Pointy :icon_tease:

16. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    That is 100% going to happen, mark my words. :tup:

17. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    No thanks:no: Sign the guys we have and draft some more beef:yes:

18. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Exactly.

Use the money that someone will overpay for Marshall, and spend it to keep VJ and Floyd.

VJ has the same number of TDs and about the same receiving yards as Marshall over the past two years, in about half the catches.

19. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,421
    I wouldn't mind taking the chance on him if we didn't have any real WRs like a few years ago when Eric Parker was our #2.

Acquisitions of any sort, including free agency in sports, is about risk vs reward.

The risk with Marshall, of course, is his attitude problems. But the reward is one of the best WRs in the game.

The fact that we already have one of the best WR groups in the NFL negates that reward to some degree which would make it a poor choice.

20. !~BOLT~!

Ratings:
    +205
    Yes I do, I give adults benefit of the doubt for being so stupid, but you're right I came across a lot of stupid old people.

Seems like teenagers support players that are loose cannons, and don't mind off field antics where most responsible adults hold "role models" accountable for their actions.

Sorry you didn't make the connection.

21. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
  22. !~BOLT~!

Ratings:
    +205
    Understood, and I agree he's one of the best talents. But we would have to be pretty damn desperate to even consider it. I think David Boston ruined any big name recievers chances for quite so time anyhow.

23. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Work of getting Jackson and Floyd locked in and we'll be fine.

Let's get Nannee locked in as well.

24. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    I know it won't happen because of AJ's FA policy but I still say go get Cribbs. He can play punt and kick returns and play the 'wildfrog'/screen receiver too. If Sprolesy is to go he is the ideal reaplcement.

25. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    sometimes these kind of players just need a second chance. Sometimes they need a better team and it works out really well. Look at moss. He was a problem child in minnesota and oakland. then the pats signed him and the year after he had the best year of his career. Imagine what Marshall could do with a Qb as good as rivers!

26. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,421
    With as good as the WRs we already have are is it really worth the risk?

Sure, look at Moss. That's a nice example of a gamble that worked out.

Here's a counter: Look at Terrell Owens

27. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    "He had a better QB than Rivers in 2008!!!11!!!"
    --- deluded Donko fan

:icon_rofl:

28. 14fouts

14fouts BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    Seriously?? After someone on here posted his rap sheet that was a mile long- No thanks! Chargers never go after troublemakers like that he just doesnt fit and we dont need him :tdown:

29. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    What about him? he's a great Receiver and has had Great years. Maybe not in bufallo but he is almost 37. Even Jerry Rice wasn't the threat he used to be at the age of 37!

30. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    He would have been a great tennis player or a great golfer, but he is not, he's a football player. In football, it's not about the individual, it's about the team. TO has never had any idea of what being a part of a team entails. As such he is a pouty, selfish, divisive, QB slandering, piece of ****.

Insert Brandon Marshall.