1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Brandon Marshall's and Dwayne Bowe demoted ?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Bowe demoted?

August 10, 2009

Dwayne Bowe was running with the second and third teams during today's practice. Terrance Copper took his spot in the starting lineup.
    Todd Haley afterward made it sound like a demotion.

"There's no spot taken right now," Haley said. "We're going to do everything we can to find players that do it our way. Each day that may change but we'll find guys that do it our way and do it the way we feel gives us the best chance to win, period."

http://chiefsblog.kansascity.com/?q=node/910

Marshall demoted?

August 10, 2009 6:55 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson
    So, Brandon Marshall is a second team receiver in Denver?

OK.

Denver released its depth chart Monday and Marshall is a second team receiver behind Jabar Gaffney, a journeyman who followed Denver coach Josh McDaniels to the Rocky Mountains from New England.

Marshall's "demotion" has to be attributed to one of two things. He is currently No. 2 because he hasn't practiced in eight days after suffering an apparent hamstring injury or the Broncos are punishing Marshall for asking to be traded in June. Or maybe it is a combination of both.

It's not because Gaffney is a better player than Marshall, because he isn't.

This depth chart, released 34 days before he start of the season, really doesn't mean much.

Once Marshall gets healthy, he will be a starter and Gaffney will be a backup. That's just the way it is.

So, while seeing Marshall's name second on Denver's depth chart may be eye-popping, it really isn't anything other than a message.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0-3-2594/What-to-make-of-Marshall-s-demotion.html

:icon_shrug: :icon_huh: :lol::icon_party: :popcorn:

2. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +47
    yeah, I saw that too.

weird how these new england brainiacs work. (I know Haley isn't from NE, but Pioli is)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Probably doesn't mean anything but I can hope it does... :lol:

:popcorn:

4. vegasboy

vegasboy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    Damn, I have Bowe as a starter in my fantasy league. I don't think it will last. He is KC's only true #1 receiver. :unsure:

5. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    Bowe being mentioned surprises me.

Marshall, not so much. Maybe he's still injured & the donkeys want to preserve whatever trade value they can get.

6. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Gotta love the turmoil in other division teams.

7. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Dwayne Bowe is not talking about his demotion to third string in Kansas City

Chiefs tell Bowe to stay quiet

August 11, 2009

That at least is what Dwayne Bowe said when asked today to talk about his predicament.

Since there's nothing he can say to better his situation, that's not a bad position for him to take. If he says he's been working hard, is with the program and doesn't agree with his benching, that won't go over well with Todd Haley.

No, Bowe has just one way out of this mess and it's not by talking about it. It's by working at it.

:lol: :popcorn:

http://chiefsblog.kansascity.com/?q=node/915

8. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Brandon Marshall

August 11, 2009

This move may not just be due to injury though, it may act as a precursor, to the very near future.

Foreshadowing in the drama blockbuster that is Brandon Marshall's playing career, and really, whole life.

Marshall was moved off the starting string, which could be seen in a few different ways.

First, he's just injured, and since he won't be practicing, it's a good way to get the other guys comfortable in those spots. Especially if Marshall misses significant time during the season.

Second, Marshall was taken off the roster because he's hurt and has a court date coming up on Thursday. If Marshall is found guilty, he will likely miss a good part of the season, up to eight games, which again gets the next guys in line playing time at their new positions and learning the new routes and formations that come with McDaniels' arrival.

Third, and most intriguing, this move of Marshall from No. 1 overall receiver to second-stringer signifies the Broncos possibly shopping the disgruntled receiver around. Maybe McDaniels is fed up with Marshall's "injury," brashness, and likely inability to learn the multitude of plays put in front of him.

:lol: :popcorn:

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    Sanity, common sense and peace at camp are so
    wonderful

10. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    RE: Bowe - I heard some interesting info yesterday - I guess while he's been KC's #1 he's also got pretty hgih amts of dropped passes, something which Haley doesn't tolerate being a former WR coach he's big on the basics.

My take after hearing that: If Bowe was "struggling" in Haley's mind he may have moved him down to focus on the little basics... kinda like sending a player in baseball down to the minors for a couple weeks to get their swing back... not necessarily a demotion and it also allows other WR's to get reps in with the 1st team - Cassel is going to need some more targets than just Bowe if KC wants to improve upon last years record sans Tony Gonzales.