1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Breaking News: Chula Vista Out of the Stadium race

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Jun 24, 2009.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    Councilman John McCann came on the air, XX1090AM, and said there's no chance that Chula Vista will be pulling out of the stadium discussion

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    I'm leaving shortly but apparently Mark Fabiani is saying that the stadium "is not necessarily dead in Chula Vista"

3. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    It was only a matter of time before Chula Vista would bow out.

Getting rid of the power plant and then dealing with the coastal commission, the Port Authority and every other swinging dick that wants a piece of the developer *** is way too much for anyone to swallow.

The stadium is either built in Mission Valley or adios. The Chargers are just biding their time while their buyout clauses decrease every year by mega-millions.

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2009/04/12/sports/chargers/z124b5ddc757593a788257585001146d5.txt

The team promised last year not to exercise the clause in 2009, when the payment would have been $56 million. It drops to $53 million in 2010 and a relatively affordable $26 million in 2011.

While the Chargers say they remain committed to the area, that sentiment may change when relocation becomes a bit cheaper.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ChargerJeff

ChargerJeff Boltaholic

Ratings:
    +352
    CHULA VISTA — Chula Vista has put the brakes on a council committee that has been talking with the San Diego Chargers about building a stadium in the South Bay city.

Although suspending the committee won't necessarily kill the stadium proposal, it's the latest development that diminishes the prospect of the Chargers moving to Chula Vista.

Earlier this month, Chula Vista Councilman Rudy Ramirez questioned the effectiveness of the committee. Last week, the Chargers said they were considering a stadium site in Oceanside. And yesterday, Councilman John McCann – who makes up the two-person committee with Councilman Steve Castaneda – announced he has been called for Navy reserve duty in Iraq and will be gone a year. He leaves next month.

Last night, council members decided future plans from the Chargers can go straight to the full council.

“Suspending the committee is the logical thing to do,” Councilwoman Pamela Bensoussan said. “If we keep a committee just to keep a myth alive, that really serves no purpose. It sends a message we're doing something when actually we're not.”

Ramirez, Mayor Cheryl Cox and Bensoussan say the city's priority should be building its waterfront and seeking certification of the environmental report associated with that development.

Dealing with the Chargers through a committee could detract from the city's bayfront plans, Ramirez said.

“The important thing to consider was how we were communicating with the Port about what we're looking for on our bayfront,” Ramirez said. “We have the bayfront master plan, and the concern was that we wanted to speak in one clear voice. We weren't sure whether or not the subcommittee activities were helping us do that.”

Castaneda said having a Chargers committee doesn't detract from other bayfront development, but he believes the football team must make the next move.

“Clearly the ball is in the court of the San Diego Chargers,” he said. “They have to decide what they want to do. If they think they have a future in city of Chula Vista, they need to come before this body and let us know what they plan to do.”

Cox said she isn't sure what the Chargers intend now that they are interested in Oceanside.

“Now the talks with Chula Vista have stalled,” Cox said.

link

• Like Like x 1
  5. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,929
    Fabiani is on XX1090 and he seems far more excited about the potential of San Diego/Oceanside and says there's something big going.

Good move removing Aguirre, there's been much better discussions with Jan Goldsmith. Not to mention they seem to like that Oceanside location

Oh and Rudolpho Rudy Ramirez - that's the guy in CV who shut the committee meeting - someone please remove this guy from office.

6. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Why? One half of a two man committee is leaving for a year, their affectivness is already in question, and you feel it should be left open? If it is broke, fix it or toss it.

7. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    CV has been dead for awhile now, so I'm not surprised. That said, I still think downtown will be the ultimate home for the bolts :) it's an ideal location for all parties including the NFL but oceanside or mission valley would be awesome too :yes:

8. twlaux

twlaux BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    Fabiani did sound a lot more optimistic about the Oceanside deal but then mentioned how there is something new brewing with the Chargers and the city of San Diego...Scott aand BR on 1090 kinda got it out of him and it sounds like the downtown idea may be another option...Fabiani said the news will come out very soon....That is at least promising..I think working a new stadium into downtown would be awesome....PRAY!

9. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    A downtown stadium would be tops far as I am concerned. I just hope there is room to tailgate down there.

10. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    A downtown stadium for the Chargers?!?

Considering the obstacles that caused the team to jettison any thoughts of such a plan just a few years ago, I'm having trouble imagining how those seemingly insurrmountable obstacles could be swept aside-- poof!-- now.

I want to believe it... but it's hard to believe.

11. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    Why is it that the people who are running the show in Chula Vista seems to want to consider every other Bayfront plan but when a Multi-Million revenue guarenteed sports team which would regenerate the area comes along- oh no it detracts from other plans.

These people are freaking Morons!

12. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I'd like that but if that stadium happens, you can count on tailgating being wiped out! Though I think it would make a cool Game Day experience.

13. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Only HUGE drawback there is to downtown is tailgating might go bye bye unless they build a reasonable parking lot. Tailgating is in our blood, they can't take that away from us.

14. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Not it could be... it WILL be. Count on it.
    Though the Game Day experience in GasLamp could be cool. Block off all traffic and set it up like they did when Street Sceen was Downtown.

15. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Hola PL! :wave:

We will tailgate.:yes:
    We will find a place to tailgate if it is not the stadium parking lot.:yes:
    That's a given. They know this and should acknowlege it.

If the stadium is downtown, no way would they build a huge parking lot.
    The infrastructure is already there for transportation in and out because of Petco Park.
    We could tailgate somewhere and trolley on in.
    Or, as suggested, they could block off a street block.

There is definitely more open area involved in the Oceanside location. The downtown area is more centrally located, with transportation already available.

There is a "Coaster" station in Oceanside, within view of the coastline, runs north-south, perhaps they could figure out a away to get a line to a new stadium in that valley. There is a "Sprinter" line that parallels Oceanside Boulevard(east-west), 2 exits down from the exit to the 76, off the 5. The transportation is "there", connections could be made.

Yes, I could "see"it. I hope there are some visionaries that can also see it.

16. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,929
    Dont' people still tailgate at Petco?

17. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Don't know but if there is still tailgating, it will be very limited. Parking won't be $25 either. They'll strongly encourage people to use the trolley.

18. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Yes .. but it is $20-25 for that parking lot.. You can tailgate and drink prior to the game. But from what I understand, you have to clear out right after the game. That would need to change for a football game in my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    They do - they have a specific parking lot for tailgating - it's not very big tho - not sure if they have more than one? I just know I've parked in the one...

The reality is, tailgating is not that high on the list of priorities and we will likely have to get a little more creative with how we pre-game. The parking lot we have now is an anomoly - I'd be interested to see how other teams who have recently built new facilities have handled the tailgating issue tho...

20. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +686
    It's $20 for the Murph now I think.

Downtown would give the NFL a stiffy due to all the good things that go with it. The last one in SD I heard had a great down town experience. So good that some mentioned they should just have it here every year. I think it was John Madden.

21. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    $25min to park at the Q :icon_shrug: damn ace parking and their monopoly!

I don't think they make you leave from the tailgate lot down at petco... not right away anyway... they didnt when we were there... but I agree - you shouldn't rush the fans out of the lot after the game, not unless they are causing trouble.

22. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Officially, only in the overpriced "Tailgate Parking Lot" directly adjacent to Petco. All the other lots are no-tailgating.

Although, we sneak beers, in a cooler, into the parking structures and drink in our car sometimes. One time we did that in a pay lot. It's all very sneaky, though. Out-in-the-open tailgating only exists in that lot.

Football is a different animal. We used to tailgate before baseball games at the Q, but it was never quite the number of tailgates, nor the sheer number of people that tailgate before (and sometimes after) football games.
    That's why tailgating at the Q is still so awesome. It wont be like that forever.:unsure:

23. reddenedbeard

Ratings:
    +112
    No, it's $25 (or something like that) for the tailgate parking lot at PETCO.

24. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    It's 20 freaking dollars to park at the Q, whether you are tailgating or not.

25. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Jah that's what I meant - it's already $20-25 to park at the Q, so $25 at Petco relatively isn't a lot - still a waste of $$ for the craptastic service you get. No guarantee that your car won't be broken in to, No protetion for your stuff if it is, No traffic control besides a bunch of lazy teenagers waving at you pretending to be working as you circle around for a spot... :icon_evil: I hate Ace. I wouldn't mind paying that much if they actually did something for it but they don't :p

26. reddenedbeard

Ratings:
    +112
    What, you don't think they keep the parking lot clean? :icon_huh: :icon_shrug:

:lol:

27. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Downtown will make **it loads of money... even for those that don't have tickets.
    The hotels will be fully booked.
    Bars and restaurant will be packed.
    They'll probably have a set up like the Budweiser Party Tent.
    Beer garden and grill on the streets.
    Vendor carts on the streets.

They could make the Game Day experience the next best thing to being at the game.

28. vegasboy

vegasboy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    :bolt:
    All of the ideas in this thread are great and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that business and the city will make boat loads of money in clients and taxes derived from a stadium in SD county.

Not to mention the type of exposure the city can get when we host a Super Bowl in our new stadium and folks back east who are freezing see people walking around in shorts and having a good time. You can't pay for that type of advertising.

Why can't the short minded politicians see this.:banghead:

GO CHARGERS!

29. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Paging a politico visionary, paging a politico visionary...IS THERE ONE IS THIS TOWN??? From the way things get done (actually not done) in SD, I am wondering.

• Like Like x 1
  30. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,929
    Outside of one or two good guys, there's very few in this city and that's a bloody shame