1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Brees passes for 510 yds

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by sdbound, Nov 19, 2006.

1. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    I'm not a Brees homer but, he hit some rarefied air today.

Most Yards Gained, Game

554 Norm Van Brocklin, Los Angeles vs. N.Y. Yanks, Sept. 28, 1951

527 Warren Moon, Houston vs. Kansas City, Dec. 16, 1990

522 Boomer Esiason, Arizona vs. Washington, Nov. 10, 1996

2. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    If you take away the INTs he threw, it would have been a great acomplishment. I still think Brees is a top 10 QB in this league, but throwing for 500+ yards = great, throwing for 500+ yards in a loss = not so so great.

3. y2craig

y2craig BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +37
    That's a heck of a throwing day, however, I would bet he'd give plenty of those yards back for a victory.

4. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Couldn't agree more. He played a terrible game today. Awful decision making. I watched the whole game... and all of those INTs were on him (as opposed to the defenders making great plays).

5. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Brees would make a good back up QB for the Chargers :lol: oops did I just say that :icon_eek:

:foley53: :bolt:

6. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,298
    I bet Bengal fans are happier with their team and their QB's performances today.

7. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I saw all of Brees' INT's and he could have thrown for 600 yards and when you throw the ball that UGLY ..... sit down.

Typical Brees because I had flashbacks to his pass to Champ Bailey all day today on all 3 of his INT's

8. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    Over 500 yards and only 16 points tells you all you need to know.

9. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    You are right, but one thing I'll say about his 510 yards. It sure looks like his surgery repaired should is not an issue. He made some terrible throws today, but I remember people saying his shoulder would never be right again. I think he's proven them wrong. You don't throw for over 500 yards with a bad shoulder.

10. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,298
    I don't know what other people said, but I said that there's a genuine risk that his throwing shoulder might not be the same again, and that they're taking that risk if they give him the new contract.

That was why I thought the Chargers' contract offer was fair. And, as it turns out, Drew would've gotten the multi year deal had he signed it.

I was all for bringing Brees back, but I didn't think we should be stupid about it. It was still a geinuine risk, but the thing about risks is that it doesn't always come into fruitation...which is a good thing.

All of that said, it's appearing that the Chargers made the right decision going with Rivers, anyways.

11. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    His shoulder will always be a weak area. Always. The fact he elected to have a procedure done which was less invasive and has a higher incidence rate for further dislocations should warn of band-aids.

12. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    The Saints lost 31 - 16.

If Brees doesn't throw 3 INTs, removing that pick-six, and the Saints get 3 FGs instead, then NO wins 25 - 24.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Good riddance.

The noodle armed wonder can wallow in gumbo and crawdad **** .... :bolt: :icon_banana:

14. sdbound

Ratings:
    +942
    Tell us what you really think.

15. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Wow, 510 yards & only 2 TD's?!? Goes to show how turnovers can kill you. Are they that bad in the red-zone? Or did they not even get the chance?:icon_huh:

16. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    Two of Brees' picks came on first and goal plays.

17. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Brees almost had 300 yards at the half. This is the same Bengals team we hung 42 point on in 2 quarters.

The score was 30-10 at one point and against the Bengals defense....

The defense will let him pass all day long to eat up the clock.

Brees threw two INT's in the enzone and 3 picks all together.

Total passing yardage is a stat that can make someone look like a ProBowler and they are actually a POS. :yes:

18. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Brees threw some INTs straight to defenders.

19. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Deja Vu - Champ Bailey to the rescue.

Not tonight.

Rivers will continue his pillage and next up the lovers of fillet of mule tool. :bolt: :icon_banana: :icon_toast:

20. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    :icon_rofl:

:foley53: :bolt:

21. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Just like when he was with us. In live action I just don't think he has the ability to get the ball to a WR in stride & on target. Give him open field and let the WR go get it then he has a chance. This is why I'm glad we have Rivers now. He has a strong quick release and puts the ball where it has to be. Not all the time but enough to be more successful.

22. sdbound

Ratings:
    +942
    With Brees, when I saw a blitz developing I KNEW he was going to make a mistake. I have confidence in Rivers.

Hey boltsnow, did you take that picture of the hammerheads? I saw my first shark while diving last year and let's just say that the water got a lot warmer.:icon_eek:

23. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Considering Colston didn't have a catch today, I think it's safe to say that Drew missed having his best receiver. Definitely hurt them in the red zone.

His first first-and-goal INT... was inexcusable. Aaron Brooks-style... he threw into triple coverage. Easiest pick ever for a DB.

His arm strength appears to be fine. My only issue with Drew is that everything he does looks like a heroic effort. Whereas with boy wonder Rivers... it looks effortless.

24. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,516
    He hit Horn between three receivers in stride for a TD early in the game. That was the throw that I never saw Brees make when he was a Charger. But the picks were pretty maddening. He just kept choking at the wrong time. Sort of like Aaron Brooks today. I really wanted the Queefs to lose today. I wanted them to be good and pizzed for Denver next week. But typical Brooks, unbelievably good throw followed by unbelievably bad throw.

25. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    I saw that play to Horn & I was thinking the same thing. I also believe that they have let him open it up alot this year and that has helped him have better confidence in airing it out.

26. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    I have pictures of something like that but no where as good. Sharks are harmless. Been to Cocos Island (Costa Rica) twice and it is remarkable. Hammerheads come right up to you until you exhale and the bubbles scare them away. Best view is when you sit in the middle of where the come to get cleaned and you can literally touch them. Best action is the nurse sharks feeding at night, it's a fukcing feed frenzie....20-50 going nuts. Once again, being in the middle is such an adrenaline rush.:icon_toast:

27. sdbound

Ratings:
    +942
    When you jump up and down do they clank?

28. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    I'll never tell!!!:icon_tease: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_banana:

29. Critter

Critter BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    Go dive the Blue Hole off of Belize.

You go out early and dive to about 110'.

Then you watch the sharks come over the lip like a waterfall on their way back from their nightly feeding.

Impressive to say the least.:yes:

30. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Been there.....done that. Been to Belize twice. Both times aboard a Peter Hughes boat. Liveaboard......Nothing beats it!!!:tup: