1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Brett Favre just wont go away

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by in_a_days, Jul 15, 2009.

1. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Favre steps up workouts as ‘time running out’

2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Is it Favre that won't go away? Or the excessive media coverage of him that won't go away?

3. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I don't see how you can separate the two. The media needs a story... Favre needs attention... it's kind of a sick symbiosis.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Favre needs to go see Jacko's doctor. Put an end to all our misery.

• Like Like x 1
  5. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    It's Favre.

He needs football.

He thinks that if he doesn't play... he'll slip back into addiction.

Think about it. Dude is a legend. He'll have all the free booze, drugs, and puussy he can handle. At least football gives him the incentive to stay away from that (well... the booze/drugs combo at least)

He blew it when he burned the bridge with the Packers last yr.

Now the dude is hanging on by a thread.

Sad.

6. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Favrah, dont go away angry...

JUST GO AWAY!

7. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Unless Favre works for the media I find it hard to blame him for their actions.

8. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I don't see how this makes him a villain.

9. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    It is however easy for me to blame him for his 'me me me' attitude. Such as was on display when he bragged on ESPN how he would not help the new QB for the Packers.

Or how he retired then decided to come back but would not suffer the indignity of having to earn his starting spot with the Packers in an open camp.

Sorry I dont like him. If you do that is fine, nothing to me. But I think he is all about Bret, and in a TEAM game, that is not a good thing much of the time.

10. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    These are all understandable reasons to dislike him.

I just don't understand disliking him for stuff that's beyond his reasonable level of control. (The media following him around and running endless stories on him.)

11. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    That is just typical stuff. I am guilty of it too, I get tired of hearing about the same thing over and over and over... I wont listen to certain tchanels on Serious right now because they cant stop talking about Michael Jackson...

12. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    On an intellectual level I understand what you're saying. But anybody who's been in the public spotlight as long as Favre understands how the media works... You give them a quote and a story and they're going to run with it.

So in my mind by granting and participating in the interview Favre is tacitly consenting to (and participating in) the media's actions (which consists only of framing and publishing said interview).

13. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I comprehend disliking the extensive coverage. I just don't get blaming Brett Favre for it.

14. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    His only other option is to take active action to hide from the media.

I think it's unreasonable to expect him to do that.

15. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    After all this time, and all the press conferences, and all the interviews I don't think it's unreasonable for him to dish out "no comment" a little more frequently. Maybe if he stopped talking so much the media would stop chasing him... :icon_shrug:

Really though, what I dislike is that I have this perception (true or untrue) that he has continually gone out of his way to use the media to leverage his position. And THAT I dislike. I have a lot of respect for people that act like professionals and handle their personal affairs behind closed doors. Less respect for people that go out of their way to air everything out and use the public/media as a forum for their personal agendas.

16. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Brett Favre will play for the Vikings this year...

that is all.............

17. English

English @tonywaters

Ratings:
    +92
    The media are there to sell newspapers, airtime and internet subscription. The news is not important to them, it is simply the product they have to sell. It is no different to a tire shop owner who doesn't drive. He sells tires to make money but has no interest in the product, he just sells what people want.

It is the same with the media and Favre; as long as we keep discussing their articles, repeating them and referring to them, they will produce anything with his name in it.

If enough people ignore him he will go away; if enough people keep discussing, he is here to stay.

18. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    i greatly dislike media whores and Brett Favre is one of the biggest out there

19. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    It doesn't make him a villain.

It makes him sad & pathetic.

20. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Performance will be the ultimate arbiter of Brett Favre and his situation.

If he's in shape and can pass the football he gets a contract. If he performs well, he stays on the field, and if he doesn't he sits on the bench.

His record will reflect his performance or lack thereof...everything else is but toys.

21. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    What I really don't understand is this ....

Do the Vikes really think that Favre is going to get them over the hump? :icon_huh:

Childress must be smoking the good Canadian dank. :lol: