1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Brett Favre retired? Maybe not

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by EsDee_in_RI, Apr 4, 2008.

1. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Brett Favre retired? Maybe not
    His agent has quietly inquired with teams about interest, NFL sources say. Packers general manager dismisses report.
    By Sam Farmer
    Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

April 4, 2008

Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre, who announced his retirement last month after 17 seasons, could be looking into resuming his career with another franchise.

According to NFL sources, Favre's agent has quietly inquired with teams about their interest in trading for the three-time NFL most valuable player. The sources did not indicate whether Favre knew of the inquiries.

Favre, 38, has yet to give written notice of his retirement to the league or players' union, although that's neither required nor irrevocable. It's also not uncommon for players to delay in doing so, particularly if they are not in immediate need of their pension money.

Agent James "Bus" Cook said he was not aware of Favre's interest in coming back from retirement.

"That's news to me," Cook said Thursday in a telephone interview. "I don't think that has anything to do with anything. He's retired, period, point blank."

Favre's rights still belong to the Packers, who could trade him to another team.

Ted Thompson, general manager of the Packers, dismissed the report. "We don't know anything about it, and it's inconceivable," Thompson told the Associated Press.

The league sources said Favre's decision to retire was partially influenced by his frustration that the Packers didn't make a more aggressive attempt to sign Randy Moss. The team twice had a chance to do so, first in spring 2007 -- before New England acquired the All-Pro receiver from Oakland -- and again this off-season.

Favre retired a day after the Patriots re-signed Moss to a three-year, $27-million deal. Cook, who, along with agent Tim Dipiero, handles contracts for Moss, denied any link between the receiver and Favre's decision to retire.

"As far as I know, Brett retired because he was tired and burned out," he said.

One of Favre's closest friends on the team, wide receiver Donald Driver, said he was convinced Favre was finished with football -- but couldn't completely rule out the possibility of a Michael Jordan-style comeback for Favre.

"I don't know," Driver told the Associated Press. "It'd be hard to say."

Last season was among Favre's best. As the quarterback of the league's youngest team -- one loaded with unheralded and overlooked players -- he completed a career-high 66.5% of his passes for 28 touchdowns with just 15 interceptions, and led the Packers to the NFC championship game against the New York Giants.

At the league meetings in Florida this week, before the latest report, Packers Coach Mike McCarthy said Favre will be sorely missed as a team leader.

"There's definitely going to be an absence," McCarthy told reporters.

2. henryqjr2001

henryqjr2001 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    Brett is 38, his body has taken a toll. There are no mountains to climb. Stay retired and switch to the booth.

3. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    he's an attention whore

:tdown:

4. Eat My Boltage

Eat My Boltage Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +43
    Right now I have respect for him he left at the top of his game went out on a winning season. If he comes back as anything other than a packer I will be greatly disappointed in him.:no:

5. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    This report is BS. Why would Favre want to play for another team? The Packers are one of the best teams in the weak NFC, he's familar with the players and coaches, staying in Green Bay is his best shot at a ring.

6. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    If he isn't on the news, then he pulls this "will I retire or not?" bull **** every offseason. He IS an attention whore.

Step-by-step way to get attention: the Favre Way...
    1) After a season of Green Bay glorification every Sunday, season ends in disappointment.
    2) When that wears off, contemplate to retire, making sure it is leaked to the media.
    3) Enjoy the ensuing ESPN lovefest, career highlights, player interviews about you, fanmail to keep playing, etc.
    4) Continue keeping management in limbo about your decision
    5) After Packer management and fans begging 4 u to return (or at least make a decision), decide to comeback to a sea of Green Bay jubilation.
    6) Play season like "you're having fun out there" i.e. silly interceptions and ****-talking with opposition, and have John Madden's love-child.
    7) start all over with step 1

7. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Favre's agent is on a fishing trip, trolling for dollars. Favre has reiterated today that he is retired, period. Brett hasn't said word one, is living a low profile life. His agent is looking for a deal that he can get a cut of. None of the teams that would need a quarter back badly enough to part with the bucks necessary to sign Favre will rise to real contention with or without him. His agent is dangling bait in front of Al Davis, dollars to donuts. Favre is not stupid enough for that.

8. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    I doubt my thoughts are right about this but it could be instead of a Playing position it could be for a Coaching position. :icon_shrug:

9. -Scar-

-Scar- thedoomship.com

Ratings:
    +205
    I Knew It Wasn't Favre Doing This

COOK SHOPPING OF FAVRE CONFIRMED

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/04/04/cook-shopping-of-favre-confirmed/

10. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    gimmie a break, Farve's agent might be the puppet but Favra is pulling the strings

total bullshiit

:tdown:

11. -Scar-

-Scar- thedoomship.com

Ratings:
    +205
    Okay Then .......Well Here's Where My Point Comes To Fruition....

Since The Last Few Days Have Been Nothing But Figuring Out Where These Rumors Have Come From.....

Favre not considering comeback

Bus Cook DENIED He Was Shopping Around Favre Earlier This Week....And Now As Of Yesterday He Finally Admits It Was Him....

12. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    There are no contenders who would be in the market for Favre right now. Miami is beyond help by anything he could possibly offer in talent. Carolina may be uncertain about Delhomme, but they won't be making any overtures to anyone until they know. Seattle has Hasselback and depth. The conceivable team I can think of that would take a hard run at him would be the Raitards. Hard as I try, I can't stop laughing about such a scenario. The only thing that could possibly lure Favre out of retirement is an offer by a team that has a chance at a ring and has an injured starter-like us.

13. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    This just goes to show how utterly SLOOOOOOOOW this off-season is moving along.

Nothing to see here.

*We now return you to your regularly scheduled Bronco Bashing Thread* :yes: