1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Brian Banks to tryout for the Chargers on Friday

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Jun 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,412
    Chargers to host Banks for tryout

[​IMG]

Brian Banks has worked out with the Seahawks.

On Friday, he'll show the Chargers what he's got.

The team will try out the recently exonerated linebacker, sources said Thursday hours after Banks completed his first NFL tryout in Seattle.

Banks is expected to return to the Seahawks for their minicamp next week in what is essentially an extended tryout. If unsigned, he'll likely work out with others afterward.

Aside from Seattle, the Chargers are one of five teams to have expressed interest in a tryout, sources said. Banks could travel from San Diego to try out with one of them before reporting to Seattle's camp on Monday, they said.

"I feel more appreciative for the opportunity than I feel deserving," Banks said to reporters Thursday in Seattle. "I'm honored to have all of these people — all these coaches and different teams — give me this opportunity, not even seeing me play in so long.

The former Long Beach Poly High star prospect doesn't have a life story.

He has a script.

His football career was derailed when, as a 17-year-old USC recruit, he was wrongfully convicted of rape and kidnapping. Beginning in 2002, he served five years of a six-year prison sentence before being released on parole as a sex offender.

The California Innocence Project (CIP), a clinical program based in San Diego that works to free wrongfully convicted inmates, took on his case more than a year ago.

Banks, 26, was exonerated in court last month.

Justin Brooks, Banks' attorney at CIP, said in May that a tryout with the Chargers would be a "dream come true."

“Brian's got that political answer: 'I'm for whoever wants to give me a chance,'” Brooks said last month. “But I know the people that (helped him) are all Chargers fans. We're actually pretty fanatical in this office about the Chargers.

The only thing we get as depressed about is the cases we lose.

"Four people in our office are season ticket holders," Brooks added. "We basically have a debrief every Monday morning during football season about the Chargers. I recently went and did a tour of the locker room. As a season ticket holder, I was invited over there, so we're way into the Chargers."

2. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    Nice article.

3. paddyirishman

paddyirishman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +60
    good luck to the guy. If it dosent work out with us hope it works out elsewhere.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. CajonZonie

CajonZonie BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    Way to muscle through it all. That's rough. Best of luck to that dude!

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Hope he can earn his way onto hte practice squad

6. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    haha.. nice supportive attitude.. lol.. your comment makes me laugh

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I don't think its realistic to see him making the team after he really hasn't played football in a few years. practice squad I think is very realistic

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    Is it not a crime to wrongfully accuse someone of a crime?
    The lying broad that got him into prison should have to do
    the same amount of time that Mr. Banks had to do.

Hope he sticks on a roster somewhere.:tup:

9. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    Statute of limitations is not your friend.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    Sounds like it won't happen for him here......

UTKevinAcee@UTKevinAcee
    RT @UTgehlken: Chargers haven't invited Brian Banks back but N. Turner could see him on NFL roster. "I certainly would not bet against him."

11. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    Raiders lost interest in him the minute he was exonerated. ;)

• Funny Funny x 4
  12. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    That probably rules out the Bengals as well.

13. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    LB Banks thankful for Chargers' tryout
    by Dan McLellan, CBSSports.com

Despite not being offered a contract, exonerated former high school star LB Brian Banks was grateful for the opportunity to tryout for the Chargers on Friday. “This is a dream come true,” Banks said. “It’s a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, to have these coaches just give me that respect, to let me come out and show them what I can do.” Banks tried out for the Seahawks on Thursday and was invited to attend their minicamp for an extended tryout. He will also tryout for the Chiefs. Three other teams have contacted Banks: Redskins, Vikings and 49ers. “We had more teams reach out today,” said his agent Justin Brooks.

14. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I really do hope he finds a spot on a team weather it be practice or ST . Good luck to him.

15. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,931
    He's earned some good karma and luck for a change

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    I really hope someone gives him a shot, it's heartbreaking that people like that girl can just ruin someone's life for no reason other than to profit from it.

Really a slap in the face to women out there who have actually been raped, it makes me sad that people out there can be so cold as to get a promising young man sent to jail when he didn't do anything wrong.

17. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    The trouble is that what constitutes rape is subjective. If he touched her breast in a way that she didn't like after she told him not to then that's a sexual assault. If a girl has 2 beers and let's a guy **** her and then decides the next day that she regrets it, she can describe it as rape because she "wasn't in complete command of her faculties".

Our society encourages young men to **** young women, while telling young women that if they let themselves be ****** too much that they're morally bankrupt. The bottom line here is to not **** people unless you're reasonably certain of their mental stability and that they want you to **** them both now and in the interminable future.

P.S. Perpetrators of aggravated sexual assault should be executed if there is indisputable evidence.

18. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    First, I never realized how blameworthy raped women are.

Second, the one place I never expected to hear questionable, extreme comments about
    killing people from...is Germany. (They're such a level-headed, peaceful people...just ask Goering)

;)

19. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    While, I suppose that depends on whether or not they were actually raped, now doesn't it?

I'm an American from San Diego, however, this comment is incredibly offensive. The U.S. doesn't have a leg to stand on in terms of discussing government orchestrated relocation and mass murder programs, see U.S.-Native American relations, 1776-Present. You should probably learn to differentiate between "Germans" and "Nazis". It's kind of a huge difference, you know, kind of like "Americans" and "Klansmen". Also, Germans are actually a very level-headed, peaceful people, historically. Interestingly enough, the United States has been in a constant state of war for virtually its entire existence. Sadly, until you get to the university level as a history major in the U.S., you don't actually learn these things, because history is written by the winners, and the winners don't like to look bad in print.

Oh, and if your cross-section of Germans is Göring, then that's pretty sad.

20. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    Yes, I guess if you don't compare them to any other country on Earth--over the last century--that would work.

Forgive and forget.

21. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Over the last 100 years, Germany has been at war for a total of 14 years. The United States has been at war for over 30 years in that same time period. Try again.

22. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    Wow! Your argument is that the United States' actions over the last century are worse than Germany's?

(that's a rhetorical question...I'm leaving you to stew in your own crappulence on this one)

23. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Both have killed countless innocents without regard for the suffering.

Hypocrisy shouldn't absolve guilt.

24. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Your statement was that Germany was the least peaceful country in the last century. By any standard this is false, but I chose the US to illustrate that the U.S. has spent more than twice as many years at war (i.e. not in peace) than Germany. Were you referring to the Holocaust? Germany isn't even close for most persons killed by state violence in the last century. Estimates for Stalin (1930-1950) range from 10-20 to 40-60 to 100 million USSR citizens killed/allowed to die in labor camps.

But Stalin can murder, conservatively, 30 million people and it's ok, because they were just communists and everyone knows they don't count.

Over a slightly larger timeframe, estimates of Native Americans killed by the U.S. government range from 10-114 million, but since those killings all happened prior to the last century, I suppose they don't count, either.

25. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    Well I'm certainly not saying hypocrisy should absolve guilt. The U.S. has done many, many
    things I disagree with...but Germany practically defined modern evil. A friend just returned
    from the Auschwitz to Birkenau 'March of the Living,' so German atrocities are especially fresh in my mind.

26. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    The only thing that stands out about the Nazi atrocities in the history of man is the efficiency with which they were carried out, neither the numbers, nor the targets, were unique or new in any way.

The word "Evil" is very interesting. When Osama bin Laden was murdering Soviet Soldiers he was a "Freedom Fighter". When he was murdering Americans he became the most evil man alive.

The bottom line here is that there are probably fewer than 10,000 Germans who were over the age of 18 in 1945 still alive. Attributing the atrocities of the Nazis to "the German people" makes about as much sense as me taking credit for my grandfather's sacrifices in the Italien Alps (he lost his leg due to a gangrene infection of a machine-gun wound).

Since you seem interested in history, maybe you should learn about the factors which led to the ascension of the Nazi Party to power. They're taking place again, though not in Germany, right now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    Weird, I never heard anything about Brian Banks and the Nazis.......... I feel so out of the loop. :confused:

• Funny Funny x 1
  28. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    We have quite obviously jumped the shark on this thread. At the risk of advocating moving the discussion to a football-oriented forum political thread, I'll call for those inclined to go there.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.