1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Brian Price meets with Chargers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Apr 12, 2010.

1. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    http://sdg.scout.com/2/961622.html

UCLA defensive lineman Brian Price visited Chargers Park earlier this month, according to Scout.com's Ed Thompson. Price (6-foot-1, 303 pounds) possesses a rare combination of explosiveness and power, as evidenced by his 23.5 TFLs and seven sacks in 2009.

If the Chargers select a running back in the first round, Price will become a strong candidate with the No. 40 overall selection. He could be an opening-day starter at defensive end, allowing swing players like Ryon Bingham and Vaughn Martin to focus on playing nose tackle.

Price was the Pac-10 Defensive Player of the Year in 2009. He has a wide variety of pass-rush moves and the burst to explode through the gap. He also has a low center of gravity, which helps him hold his ground at the point of attack and fend off double teams.

There are concerns about Price's size. He lacks the height to disrupt passing lanes; also, his short arms make scouts question his ability to disengage from blockers on the next level. Nonetheless, those traits did not prevent him from dominating at UCLA.

2. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    alright so we wont draft them

3. Chargerfn909

Chargerfn909 High and tight kid, high and tight!

Ratings:
    +34
    Price at 28, Tate at 40 and either Joseph or Troup at 91. Pen it :tup:

I truly do not think RR, Norv OR AJ think we NEED a NT in the first. They will figure OG/Scott can rotate with maybe even Garay, VM and Bingham. OG looked pretty promising, maybe he packs on another 10-15 lbs in the off season and he anchors down the inside until we can develop a guy like Troup.

Something tells me our staff isn't on board with a first round NT.

4. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Exactly what I was thinking.:lol: Its so close to the draft now AJ already knows who he wants, he's just covering all his bases.

5. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Your going to be the most dissapointed fan here on draft day....I'll pen that.:icon_tease: This meeting is just AJ tieing up loose ends, if he was sure about Price he wouldn't have needed a meeting this late before the draft.

6. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34

We will see.

7. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    I have to admit I have not really even considered too much about SD opting for a top DE that can be the key to pushing VM back to what was understood to be the original plan. I like this idea, but I really think we will end up with a NT prospect before the draft is over.

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I didn't even think about that either because while alot of us were thinking about Martin as an NT, there were alot of suggestions that Martin was going to be moved to defensive end. The idea then of adding Brian Price is rather interesting; a DL of Castillo-Martin-Price wouldn't be bad.

The problem with this is that I think it's a false flag. Every scouting report on him suggests he'd be best off at a 4-3 defensive tackle where he can use his strength to shoot through gaps. He's not tall enough nor does he have good enough understanding of leverage to be a DE. He's a short bulked up nose tackle who fits best as a nose tackle in a 4-3.

9. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    There is no way Price would play end of us, hes not a 5tech at all

He would play nose, and be a Jay ratliff style, penetrating 1 gap 3-4 Nose tackle

I would still prefer the big space eating NT like Cody, but Price is a beast, and if he was able to gain some weight and play at say 315-320, and keep his quickness, he would be a beast as a NT

If we go Mathews/Price, or even Price/Dwyer(or tate), it would be a very good first 2 rounds for us.

10. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    If we want a defensive end, let's get Everson Griffen, Carlos Dunlap, or Jared Odrick..

11. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    Griffen is 260lbs, Dunlap is 280lbs (pushin' that), they are not 3-4 DE's.

Price is stout at 6'1'' 305ish and would be a beast of a DE in a 3-4. People think because he's not 6'3''+ he will not make a good 5T, I beg to differ. The guy is straight up disruptive and lives in opposing teams backfields. With some coaching he can improve his run support and be a COMPLETE 5T.

12. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    I wasnt realy saying that I think Price should be that choice at 3-4 DE pick if we are goin that route. If were gonna go DE high we can find someone more suited for the DE spot than a guy who is gonna be looked at pretty quick by alot of the new teams and last years adjusters to the 3-4 D going for that NT.

I like to think we have a pretty good and improving front 3. I like VM where he is at DE, he can also slide to Nose gradually play to play game to game or he can take over entirely after another whole season mostly at DE.

I like Ogemdi after the effort he gave after his last minute opportunity that was given at Hertz?? Considering his small size he did do servicalby well at NT. Opend my eyes a little to the fact that our NT now post JWall can survive wout being a Dbl team demander. I mean as long as at leas 2 of the 3 Dline guys are gettin doubles that balances out enuff for the OLBs to do their natural job of sealing the edge/pursuing the ball carrier inside.

I think this draft will tell us just how much 3-4/ hybrid looks our D will be showing this year.