1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Briggs gives Bears the finger

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Shamrock, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Bears Pro Bowler ready to sit out season - FOX Sports

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
  3. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Sucks for them. I don't know why Briggs wants out so bad. Did the Bears say they weren't giving him a long term offer?

4. sd-local

sd-local BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    they offered him 6 years 33 million last year

5. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    i think he wants to go to a team with a qb

6. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
  7. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    Guaranteed money must of been a problem that's about what Adalius got.

Edit: Great picture.

8. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    The bears and briggs are in a tough spot. Briggs is being pretty smart though. Better to try and get a trade going now rather than later. Gonna be interesting to see how it turns out. I'd have to imagine the bears should be able to trade him.

9. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    OK, I wanna see him sit out. Do it kid. Go ahead. Throw away your promising career as a LB for one of the most storied franchises in NFL history. Fuggin' moron. I hope the Bears just let him do his thing and they draft a LB to replace him. Really. What is it they did that was so insulting that he feels he needs to sit out a full season. Does he want to win? Or does he just wanna get paid? What's the matter Lance? You gotta child support bill the size of Latrell Sprewell's? ($36,000/mo?)

Play out your contract and then get the f**k outta' town.

10. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I love the video game on my playstation. Lap dances galore!! I been goin' around beating everyone up and pissin' off all the bosses. I'm about to get whacked myself. :lol:

Lance Briggs just made the list. Ant is on there too for dissin' my boy Sabby. They ain't gettin' no gnocchi.

11. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    He did play out his contract with the intention to get out of there, but then the Bears Franchised him.

Yea $7 mil is a lot of money but if you're in his shoes and you had the choice of signing a 1 year $7 mil deal (franchise tag) pretty much being forced to stay or signing a potential 6 to 7 year $40-50 mil deal (free agency) and choosing where you get to play the rest of your career. Which would you choose?

12. chiefsgal

chiefsgal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +443
    lol...here is my favorite finger picture.....:yes:

Attached Files:

13. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    If I'm the Bears I call his bluff.

He's not going to sit out on $7 million.

14. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    I hate b!tch *** players.

You get paid million of dollars to play a game. STFU and do your job.

15. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I'd take the friggin' $7 million!!!!!! I mean, WTF is so bad about being "franchised"??? It's a fuggin' business transaction. Like I said... play out your contract. Sure, it's a one-year contract. And maybe next year you get franchised again and get another one-year contract. So then they pay you another $7Mil+!!! Tough **** man... he chose to be an NFL player and this is the way things are set up. Deal with it. Cry me a fuggin' river.

16. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    football isnt forever, he is just trying to secure his career and he knows if he has a sub par season next year the big buck are no longer there, everyone wants to feel stable and not just be on a team for just another year, people have family and stuff to move and think about and he is in a hard situation right now but if he is smart and he knows he is as good as he thinks he is he will get the 7 mill and then rip it up another year and get paid even more next year

17. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    Yeah what Ride said!:icon_evil:

18. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    You'd take $7 mil over $40-50 mil? You do know that this is football and it takes is 1 play for your career to be over. It's not like he's holding out from his rookie deal, he played out his rookie deal and was looking for the payday like a lot of players do.

I'd want the $40-50 mil any day. It's not like Briggs signed a 1 year $7 mil deal he's forced to play for that. There's a difference between not living up to your contract and being forced to play on a 1 year contract even if it's $7 mil (and I don't even think it's guaranteed but I could be wrong.)

19. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +686
    If he has a problem with being franchised, he should go ***** to HIS fuking UNION. I get so tired of these over paid whiny *** *****es.

STFU and play.

20. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Like Kwak said, if he has a problem with the contract he should go to the player's-union and complain to them. The franchise-tag is part of the CBA. He doesn't have much choice. And if he sits out the season he's stupid. His value will drop and and he'll lose out on the $7 million he'd make this year.

No one is going to give a player who just sat out an entire season a $40 or $50 million contract, and that's the point of this argument. Briggs is bluffing. If he sits out this year he's an idiot, and he'll cost himself a ton of money in the short-term and in the long-run.

21. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I'd prefer the long-term $40-50 mil deal. yeah. Of course. Who wouldn't? But if my choices were: a) take the $7mil for one year b)threaten to hold out for one year and hope that things work out for me... I'd take the $7mil and play ball. But of course, that's too simple. It's too clear. It's too easy. And it's not going to get me that big fat contract I want right now. But it is gonna give me the $7mil I won't have if I hold out and it's gonna earn me a rep around the league that will prompt some team to offer big $$$ for me in a trade next year.

Again... that's just too easy to understand and couldn't possibly be the best route. :icon_shrug:

22. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    Complaining to the Union will get him no where. What are they going to say that could help him?

You can't get hurt holding out. Yea you risk losing money, but a long term deal will net you more money either way. It's really risk vs reward. At least he finished his contract and didn't try holding while under contract.

Gates held out for a contract and it worked out for him. A lot of players hold out and a lot do it for a lot less, especially rookies.

If the Bears would of just stepped up and not have been cheap there wouldn't have been a problem, it's not like he's a one year wonder or is injury prone, he's been preforming at a high level for several years.

23. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I agree the Bears are cheap. Pathetic in that regard. But he is essentially under contract once again, right? Isn't that what the franchise tag is? It's a one year option the club has and they slapped it on him. His options are play or don't play. But if he chooses to sit out he doesn't automatically get to pick where he goes next year... does he? I'd be shocked if he could do this.

And as I recall, Gates' holdout didn't really work out that well for him. Didn't he just cave in and take the offer that was already on the table? It hurt the team a lot though.

I'm sure he's already exhausted his union resources. So either the union needs to do whatever is in its power to eradicate the Franchise Tag option or they need to insist that this guy get on the field when the time comes.

I'll let you have the last thought on this. I'm just a hard-headed, hot-blooded *** who ain't gonna budge. :lol:

24. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    maybe he'll take the San Diego discount to play for his LB coach... :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  25. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    So, if the Franchise tag is dropped, then good players leave after their initial rookie deal. That sucks for teams that want to keep a key play.

Too bad for Briggs, but it's good for league stability. The owners gave up a lot this past CBA, and I don't see them giving up the Franchise tag without the players giving more initial years under their rookie deal and some other considerations.

26. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    No, Briggs is being an idiot. His whining is taking away any leverage the Bears might have for a trade; besides, they hold all the cards. Just slap the tag on the guy, and his only option is to play in Chicago or sit out.

What a jerk, the Bears made a good faith long-term offer that Briggs turned down, and now he's crying even though the tag would make him Chicago's highest paid player. :tdown:

27. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Yes, but the Bears are fulfilling their end of the bargain, within the CBA rights for a team, to Franchise Tag and retain him. When Seattle had to Franchise Walter Jones for three straight years, he made more "guaranteed money" over those three Franchise tag seasons than the going rate for OT's during that period.

Forget about the total contract numbers, like Clements got with the 49ers. That is a show for the agent and player, but that total dollars will never be paid.

The CBA allows a signing bonus to be spread over a certain amount of years. I don't know what the years allowed is, but it's either 6 or 7 years for a veteran for this season. The allowable years varied, leading to the countdown of the last CBA expiration. Rookies also have different rules for the years in length of signing bonus amortization. Last year the first half of the first round was 6 years, the second half of round one was five years, and 2nd rounders and later were four years.

Also, a bunch of these contracts aren't legit, in terms of overall dollars. Kirwan said the "8 year, $80 mill" contract for the 49ers new CB contains a second year $10 mill roster (or option) bonus clause that says if it is paid then the 8th year of the deal is voided. The 8th year has a base salary of $16 million. Therefore, when that bonus is paid, it's a 7 year, $64 mill contract. Clements NFLPA page. $9 mill in 2012, and nearly $11 mill in 2013. I doubt those base salaries will ever be paid (as he will be an 11 year vet in 2012), so now we're down to a 5 year, 44 million dollar deal. Still a lot of money, but damn near half of what was originally reported, or what Clements will see in his pocket.

Of all the "big" money deals so far this offseason, I think Dielman's probably has the best chance of going to completion. First, he's young. Second, the Chargers like to structure with roster bonuses to take the harder cap hit earlier in the contract, thus making the future cap hits lighter and with an increasing cap, a greater likelihood that his contract sees its final year.

Some of these stiffs (McIntosh, L. Davis, etc) that got big money won't see more than two or three seasons on their currents contracts before they are either restructured or cut. Probably cut.

~~~~~

Bottom line .....

The premise of the discussion shouldn't be the Franchise tag dollars vs. the total contract dollars being handed out, but rather the Franchise tag dollars vs so-called guaranteed money. The tagged players don't like that they have to go out and "earn" that elite level again, without long range security.

In the macro sense of the NFL, only a couple players per year will be affected by the Franchise tag, at least negatively affected. I think the NFLPA believes that's an acceptable level of angst, rather than giving the owners more initial years under rookie deals, or more restrictive FA rules for all players. Let a couple "stars" get ticked, while everyone else sees more money and better deals.