1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

BRING HIM BACK!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SuperCharger92, May 12, 2012.

1. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    LT! 1 year contract! ;)

• Old Old x 1
  2. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,725
    Or a 1 day contract, then let him retire as a Bolt...

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    1 day contract

4. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Watched the 2006 playoff game today, LT was a man among boys that day. Fast, powerfull, quick, unbelievable vision, took every yard he could get.

But I don't want him back,and I don't think he wants to be be back here, it would be too awkward.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +268
    They will bring him back for 1 day and get him retired as a Charger!

• Like Like x 1
  6. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,378
    On what grounds ?

Can't recall to many teams ever winning Superbowls by putting sentiment before all else.

I understand that your obviously a diehard LT-Lover, thats fine by the way, but thats not how any club sets its goals these days, LT has nothing to offer as a player anymore, needs to just retire and admit his playing days are over.

Like everyone else in here has stated, sign the One-Dayer, soak up the admiration of the crowd on opening day and start your life after football.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Its time for LT to 'spinded' off his NFL career into his broadcast career.

9. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,378
    Well, after hearing him speak at yesterday's memorial, that may well be something he could do.

I was never a huge fan of LT's presser's to be honest, didn't come across at all like it was his natural calling, but maybe he has had a few classes in the art of public speaking of late, because yesterday he seemed very at ease in a tough situation and handed it beautifully I thought.

10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    LT needs to retire a Charger. Anything else is noise, regardless of the source.

11. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    the way he left, he was lucky they did not boo him. Its time for him to hang the cleats up

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    You mean attacking Norv and his game plan on his way out the door? The fans don't like Norv, why would they boo a guy who just reinforced their beliefs?

13. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    He also dissed the O-line though, and even though McNeill and Dielman are gone it could still be a pretty awkward locker room presence.

14. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Go back and read what he said. He said the blocking schemes changed. They went from primarily run blocking to pass blocking. That is not an attack on the players, that is an attack on Norv

"There wasn't an emphasis on running the football anymore, my best fullback was gone, the linemen were pass-blocking and it was a passing quarterback and a passing coach."

I don't see how any part of that can be viewed as an attack on the players other than maybe Hester who was a HUGE drop off from LoNeal

15. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,150
    First, it's not true that the "fans don't like Norv." While he isn't the most popular guy in town,
    much of that began with the lowly head coaching record he brought to San Diego, from when
    he was leading the lowly Redskins and lowly Raiders. Given a better team, he's had a much better record.
    Surprise: Norv's head coaching numbers reflect the caliber of players he's had. Like virtually all coaches.

Also, many of us who have mixed feelings about Norv, are not sold on how bad he supposedly is,
    simply because many of his critics are the loudest, most obnoxious, most repetitious one-trick whiners.
    In fact many fans see through the non-stop b/tching, and see Norv's strengths as well as his faults.

In fact, even do some of his worst critics: many of the guys here who yell for Norv to be fired as HC,
    will say in the next breath that they'd like to keep him as O-coordinator...kind of undermining the suggestion
    that most Charger fans think Norv has bad game plans. We all object to particular calls, here and there,
    but of course, the most basic of research will reveal that overall very, very few offenses have been nearly
    as productive as Norv's have been here in San Diego.

Lastly, it wasn't just his comments that the Jets were better than any Charger team he'd played on,
    or pontificating oddly re. Rivers' 2011 struggles, or criticizing the o-linemen, or basically blaming a scheme
    for his later tendency to go down on light first contact (or even cutting in open field) but rather
    the collection of gripes that made some Charger fans question his loyalty (and only made fans of other teams
    call him "Complainian" even more). Personally, I always liked LT, and wished he'd said a lot less
    and burned fewer bridges on his way out of town. Oddly, the Seau function created a situation where
    it was comfortable for him to be back here years before it probably could've happened otherwise.

In short, I don't believe for a second, that on the whole, most Charger fans would agree with
    attacking Norv's game plans...but if this little message board is a major source of Charger info
    for someone, I see how they could believe that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    It isn;t about naything on a message board, it is the fact that he is the only coach in my life time that I have ever heard booed in his home stadium, and it happens many times every single year

17. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Sign LT for a day & let him retire as a Charger.

No awkward locker room moments, no long-term BS between him & the FO, no issues with taking snaps away from anyone else.

18. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Agree. I don't want him back this year, but it has more to do with that I just don't think he can play at a level to help the team

19. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    What bullshit. Plenty of coaches get boo'd in their home stadiums. Perhaps he's the only one where you've been in attendance but Norv sure as hell isn't the only coach to be boo'd at home. Either that or you were born since this past season.

20. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    you are entitled to your opinion, he threw some players under the bus on his way out. If he had any class he would have just kept his mouth shut. And once he signed with the Jets he continued to run it every chance he got.

21. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,150
    Then your lifetime/memory is pretty damned short!!

Marty got booed for going into his shell. Gilbride was booed constantly.
    Riley was loved (but booed...14-34 will do that!) Henning was booed relentlessly (again, lose 2 for every
    one you win, over 3 full seasons, and fans will boo you a lot).
    But for my money, the boos couldn't get any lustier than for the horrible Harland Svare.
    Norv's 52-34 record here is practically Hall of Fame material compared to most Charger coaches.

Welcome to Charger football, newcomer.

(Hey, I just noticed: Riley & Norv both have 34 losses...but Norv has 52 wins to Mike's 14)

22. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Marty never got booed during pre-game introductions like Norv did nearly every game. Yes decisions of coaches have been booed, but not the person before the game even started

23. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Marty was booed in 2003.

Someone even ran around the stadium with a huge "FIRE MARTY" banner while it was happening.

24. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Bullshit

I was there when it happened.

edit: wasn't one of the booers, though

25. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Any rate, Norval came to town with a bad reputation before he even had a chance to do anything with this team. Bad reputations are like warts, they're a bad stigma to shake.

Had any head coach not named Norv Turner taken over the Chargers after Marty was fired and had the same exact results he has had he would likely still have detractors due to some of the low-lights but would not be hated nearly as much.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I wish he would have just kept his mouth shut also, but I still don't see how a single thing he said was directed at the players or their performance

27. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Assuming what DB67 posted was a direct quote I don't read that as a shot at the players either.

Of course, I'm also not sure of everything he said on the way out.

28. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I am not arguing if the booing or hatred toward him is warranted, that has been talked about over and over again. I am just pointing out that the majority of fans don't like Norv

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
  30. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,150
    I think it's dear that you feel that way, but a helluva lot of people felt differently...
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/09/tomlinsons-words-damage-legacy-in-san-diego/

And again, I don't think it was any ONE comment, so much as 4 to 6 questionable things,
    that, combined, did not look like LT was taking the high road, re. the Chargers.
    (Also, claiming to "point out" that a "majority of fans don't like Norv," supposedly, despite it being a
    revised-down version of your initial ("The fans don't like Norv") claim, is still unsupported...
    it's merely your guess. And your comments about booing did not help the credibility of your judgement.)