1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Bring in Jones as a backup?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by szarmes, Feb 27, 2010.

1. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    It is very likely that Thomas Jones will become a free agent. If so, would you want him to be signed by the Chargers to split carries with our future prospect? That way we have a productive runner who can help develop the RB we draft. Jones has gone over 1000 yards in each of his last 5 seasons.. Im all for getting him. What are your thoughts?

2. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    :no:

Jones 5'10 / 215 lbs will be 32 years old on 8-19-2010

3. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Yep, if we were gonna go after a older rb it would have been ladanian. My guess is A.j. is looking for fresh young legs. CAn't blame him.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    :yes:

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    if you have to get a 30 yr old back, get Chester Taylor. He at least has fresh legs for someone at his age

6. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    He's a FA because he WOULD NOT take a pay cut. Same as LT.

7. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    By the way, if Jones would not count toward the final 8 rule since he was cut and therefor doesn't qualify as a UFA according to the rule. There is no limit to the amount of players a final 8 team can sign that have been cut from another team. The limit only effects players who's contracts ran out, and are not RFA's

8. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    LT is a FA because he didn't want to play for Norv anymore. He just used money as a way to get his freedom. He knows he will have to take a significant pay cut, he just wasn't doing it here

9. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I totally agree. I really want Taylor, even if he only last 2 or 3 years. The man only has 1028 carries in his whole career. LT had that after the 2003 season

10. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    Well if we signed Thomas Jones anyway he wouldn't be brought in as a back up.

Neither would Chester Taylor.

11. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    WHy get a 30yo back.:no::tdown:

How bout we get fresh legs now that we cut the best back in the last decade... I still say LT is better than JONES OR TAYLOR. IF LT had the behemoth line that either of those teams had and played in the run heavy system in new york I think he would have easily rushed for 1300+ yards...

12. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    No, but they could be brought int to be part of a 50/50 platoon instead of the 80/20 situation like we had with LT and Sproles

13. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    What I am saying is you will get one or the other.

Because AJ is not going to pay 2 30 yr old backs to platoon 50/50 with the money they will want.

14. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I totally agree. I would prefer Taylor (way less miles on his body) as a good compliment to a big bodied mid round RB like Blount

15. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    Please read comment before responding, it might do you wonders

IF you want to get a back in free agency and IF he is a 30 yr old back or older THEN get Taylor BECAUSE he's got the freshest legs.

I'm not particularly fond of any free agent running backs but if your going to get one, get the one with the least miles on the tires.

And I even capped the important parts so you don't have to think much

16. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    Ya I just do not think that Blount will be in the cards for SD next year.

AJ has spent to much time trying to get character players...Some have worked some have not. But a guy that was punching opposing players, teammates, and fans whether he has learned from his mistakes or not IMO will still get blackballed by AJ.

17. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    It is one thing for a guy who has been in constant trouble. This guy made one split second mistake. And could have easily quit school to concentrate on getting draft ready when he was told that he was suspended for the full year. Instead, he stayed in school and continued to work with the team and earned a chance to get back on the team. I would take a shot on a guy who had one split second mistake over a guy who has had a track record of being lazy and out of shape like Cody which many people think is a great pick.

18. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    Cody CAN be a good pick if he would magically develop some work ethic. Not likely to happen but if it does someone is going to get a beast.

And whether it was a split second or not, he turned a split second mistake into a minute and half or 2 minute mistake by not settling down after being restrained and fighting his teammates who were trying to calm him down then trying to jump in the stands at fans.

I personally don't care if we do get him or not IMO I don't think he will amount to anything. However, all I am simply saying is that AJ will likely blackball him for that ONE mistake.

19. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    You are probably right, but I hope not.

20. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Sign Taylor. Draft Mathews. Lethality.....:yes:

21. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    I am over the whole Matthews love ring on here. If we get him great, I think he will be a good RB for us. But I am not going to salivate over him right now. If we get Chester Taylor I SERIOUSLY doubt we take a round 1 RB. IMO.

22. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I hope Taylor is a Charger. He is a great receiver out of the back field and would be a great compliment to Tolbert and another rookie RB

23. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    We need a Nose Tackle, an RB and a DB-we need to draft the best available in whatever position comes up. I lean to the nose early on.