1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Bronco fans have the eye on P. Rivers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by san-man, Apr 5, 2015.

1. san-man

san-man BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    I was listening to the Chargers power hour podcast yesterday and a reporter from Denver said the donkey fans have P. Rivers as the #1 choice to replace Manning.That thought alone makes me sick,,,,,,,,,,,,we cant let him walk, I know we can franchise him, but will we? May have 2 trade him away 2 the nfc so this doesnt happen.Get what we can and move on.

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Rivers better never go to the Bronies, Raiders or Chiefs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,725
    It's shocking to hear news of this nature.

4. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    What, that other fans actually like and respect Rivers?

Considering the normal vitriol you hear from opposing fans, yes that is a bit of a shock. ;)

5. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    If there was a trade afoot, it would have to happen this year, and if this year, it would pretty much have to happen right now, since OTAs begin soon.

Personally, I don't see any scenario in which TT trades PR, so that leaves Rivers with either re-signing with the team before or during 2016 free agency or getting franchise tagged. Suppose he could retire, but he's at the top of his game and no doubt would like a few more shots at the big brass ring.

One final thought about sticking with the Chargers. If PR takes the team deep into the playoffs this year, it would probably matter a whole lot less to him exactly where the Boltz end up playing than it does from this current, still highly abstract and speculative, perspective.

6. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
  7. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
    I have always taken his comment about building something in San Diego regarding his family and not wanting to do that somewhere else as a sign that he would retire if the Chargers move

8. san-man

san-man BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    It will cost Titans mult-picks if they want rivers

9. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I don't think he'll be traded, but if he is I'll be annoyed if all we get is 1 pick even if it is #2 overall.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Trading for any pick during a year that's weak at the QB position is a bad trade in my view. Not that I'd have any interest in trading Rivers anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I'm not for trading him but if they were convinced he's leaving and felt it's best to get something for him it's not as though they can cherry pick how deep the draft is the year this is happening.

Take Cooper then get the top one next year after Clemens bombs?

Nah just keep Rivers and win.

12. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Actually, I think they do have a choice. Unless he's retiring, they still have the franchise tag option next year. They could trade him then, if they feel the QB market is better next year.

13. san-man

san-man BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    But if he does retire,,,,,,,we would have nothing,,,,,,,,,also he could come out of retirement a year later as if it were a vacation

14. san-man

san-man BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    fact is ,,,,its a business,,,,,Phillip needs 2 do whats best 4 Phillip,,,,,,,,but the Chargers need 2 do whats best 4 the Chargers

15. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Leonard Williams has the potential to be the next JJ Watt so the pick has a bit of value even if he is a defensive player. But Rivers for Mariota is a bad trade.

16. san-man

san-man BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    Fact is, I believe our back up qb could win us 9-7 this year or greater.......................aint that what Rivers does allways.........average at best? 9-7?

• Creative Creative x 1
  17. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    I question the sanity of people who self quote. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. san-man

san-man BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    Shouldnt have beat the chiefs back-ups 2 years ago in the last seconds,,,,,,,,,,this is no qb GOD AT ALL

19. san-man

san-man BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5

20. san-man

san-man BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    And 1 last quote,,,,,if the Chargers do trade up and take a qb, then they are clearly moving 2 L.A.

21. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Valid point. I wouldn't hate that if he insists on leaving.

22. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    If you're going to label Philip Rivers a QB who can't do any better than 9-7 just because that's what his team finished the last two years what grounds do you have to argue that Kellen Clemens would do the same when "he" hasn't even amassed 9 wins over his entire career? (8-13 as a starter)

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. san-man

san-man BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    Well I would reply.......does it matter if he could post 9-7 or if he couldnt.....its not getting us 2 the playoffs either way,,so who cares? thats what ive been trying 2 say

24. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    9-7 got us to the playoffs in 2013 and was enough for the Giants to win a Super Bowl in 2011.

Also, that record isn't exactly set in stone. It's just something you're presuming while completely ignoring the point of my response.

25. san-man

san-man BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    I
    If the Chargers are not making the the play-offs at 8-8 or 9-7.........then whats the diff of 4-12..........time 2 make the trade be4 its 2 late

26. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    It's not definite that the Chargers finish 8-8 or 9-7, nor is it definite that those records fail to get the Chargers into the playoffs.

27. san-man

san-man BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    I see your point.....but im affraid we are just gonna let rivers walk away 2 the donkeys next year,,,,,,,,,,cant let that happen under any condition in my opinion

28. san-man

san-man BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    But thats just me,,,,,,,,,,you guys think what you want

29. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Paranoia will kill you.

Thus far you've only seen Bronco fans saying they want him. They're not the Broncos GM.

Peyton could still return to play another year next season for all we know at this juncture. Or the Broncos could decide a different route to replace him. Or Rivers could simply change his mind and sign an extension.

The only reason we're even discussing this at all is because Rivers hinted at not wanting to play in LA. If where he plays his home games is that important to him I'd imagine the Titans have the edge on his services next year, not Denver (with or without us getting compensation)

Ironically enough I could see the Saints also being in play depending on what happens with Brees.

30. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Imagine if Rivers replaced Brees twice. :D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1