1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Broncos, Dumervil reach agreement on six-year extension

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

By John Clayton
    ESPN.com

Denver linebacker Elvis Dumervil's decision to sign his restricted free-agent tender last month and work with his team this offseason has led to one of the richest contracts in Broncos history.

Dumervil and the Broncos agreed to a contract extension Thursday, the team announced. Terms weren't disclosed, but according to multiple sources, the six-year deal was worth $61.5 million and includes between $41 million and $43 million in guarantees.

The last player the Broncos committed that much money to was cornerback Champ Bailey, who is entering the final season of his six-year, $63 million contract that will pay him $13 million in 2010.

"I am pleased to announce the extension of Elvis Dumervil's contract with the Denver Broncos," general manager Brian Xanders said in a statement. "He has established himself as one of the NFL's premier pass rushers, and he's an important part of the foundation we are building with this team. We are excited to have him as an integral part of the Broncos well into the future."

Dumervil's decision to sign his one-year, $3.168 million restricted tender last month and not withhold his services this offseason provided the goodwill that led to the Broncos giving him this deal.

"We are thrilled to have agreed to terms with Elvis Dumervil on a contract extension," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said in a statement. "Elvis is a very talented player who will help lead our defense and is also an outstanding person and teammate. The way he has handled this lengthy negotiation this offseason is a great example of the type of player and person we want on our team. We look forward to Elvis' impact for many years to come."

Dumervil will receive between $41 million and $43 million over the first four years of his contract, according to the sources.

Dumervil was the Broncos' fourth-round pick in 2006 after gaining a reputation at Louisville of being a top pass rusher. As a rookie, he established that same reputation in the NFL, registering 8½ sacks. He had 26 sacks in his first three NFL seasons, but last year presented a challenge as the Broncos moved to a 3-4 defense, making Dumervil a linebacker for the first time in his career.

Dumervil responded with his best season, 17 sacks and a trip to the Pro Bowl.

Only two players have more sacks than Dumervil's 43 since entering the league -- the Dallas Cowboys' DeMarcus Ware (56½) and Minnesota Vikings' Jared Allen (52).

Both of them have cashed in with big contracts that contain large guarantees, $40 million for Ware and $31 million for Allen.

2. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    If the Broncos can do it surely we can too. Come on AJ/Ed do the deal with Marcus McNeill at a minimum. I don't believe we can afford to start the season without him at Left Tackle.

3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    All about CBA uncertainty my ***. :icon_evil:

4. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    exactly. that is what i have been saying for months

5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    True ... but you've been pinning most of your opinion on the greed of the owners.

I believe that player health, immaturity, & off-field antics are playing at least as big a part of this as anything.

6. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Then say it, don't use the CBA as the bull **** excuse for not even being willing to discuss a deal.

They haven't used that excuse with Merriman. They have clearly said that they want to evaluate him one more year. Say the same thing about the other guys, and stop lying to us (by the way, I still think a lot of it has to do with not wanting to spend any more money than they need to THIS YEAR while there is no salary floor and they have the fall back excuse of the CBA, at least with McNeil)

7. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    F*ck Denver

8. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    This signing didn't do anything to make the Donkeys any more of a contender. But it is a good sign to their fans

9. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I think this is the key -

Maybe Ed/AJ/Spanos would have been more flexible if our guys would have signed

10. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Word also said he only signed his tender because the team told him if he did, they would continue to work on a deal, and that he only signed because they were working on a deal.

If the team was willing to discuss a contract, maybe the players would have been willing to sign their tenders. It is a 2 way street, both side need to be willing to talk in order to get a deal done. The Chargers have said over and over that they will NOT even discuss contracts until the CBA issues are resolved

11. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887

I not only endorse this statement, I agree in totality of the truth within. Or something like that.

12. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Maybe the FO doesn't want to just come out & say that they think VJ is a head-case & McNeill isn't the future at LT? :icon_shrug:

That would kinda **** the trade bed, wouldn't it? :lol:

13. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    What makes you think that when the Chargers have said over and over that they will not discuss any contract until the CBA issues are resolved.

The only reason Dumervill signed his tender was because the Donkeys told him they would work on a new deal if he signed. If the Donkeys took the same stance as the Bolts, he wouldn't have signed either, he has said so

14. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    They can be more political about it, just like they have been with Merriman. But they haven't, they have used the CBA as their reasoning, not that they need to continue evaluation of the players

15. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Since when do they need to say in public what their motives are? Seems to me that, if there is more behind the scenes than just the CBA, it's "politically acceptable" to use the CBA as an excuse. It's convenient & doesn't throw anyone under the bus.

Did AJ call you up ahead of time & tell you that he was moving up 16 spots to take Mathews because LT sucks? No ... he simply said that they were in the RB business.

I seriously, seriously doubt that there's anyone here who knows exactly what talks have taken place between the Chargers' FO, the players, & their agents. If someone can prove me wrong, fire away. I'd love to know the true inside scoop.

16. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Merriman doesn't deserve a contract yet, much less one as big as Dumervilles', a guy who led the NFL in sacks and has a spotless record off the field.

Now I'm wondering, if they "settled" on 6yrs 60mil, WHAT WAS HE ASKING FOR INITIALLY!

17. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I was just responding to a post that said these a very big reason as to why they haven't been signed, and saying that it may be a small reason, but the CBA (excuse) is the main reason and anything else is just a guess

18. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    He was probably initially looking for a Demarcus Ware type deal which was 7 years, $79 mil ($40 mil guaranteed). That is why the 2 sides negotiate, so they can find a middle ground that works for both sides.

19. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    As I've mentioned all along. Mcneils and jacksons agents have screwed them royally with not signing thier tenders and then having time to work out future contracts. Very , very bad advice their agents gave them.

20. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    How would they have had time to work out future contract when they were told by the Chargers, they will not even be discussing contracts until the CBA issues get resolved? The Chargers have said that Gates will get done before either of them, and they won't even discuss a deal with Gates. So why would they think they might get a new deal, when the Chargers were not willing to work out a new deal? That makes no sense

21. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    First of all I believe nothing of what I read about player contracts. I hear AJ talking and just parroting the company line. Ed M. (I've forgotten his last name) handles the negotiations as far as I ever knew. Up until this point I haven't heard a word out of him. So unless you know something no one else is privy to, please expound on this knowledge. Otherwise, quit guessing and slinging mud.

22. Camilo

Camilo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    Hey Buck, I hear you but I feel the exact same as Denver Bolt guy, Whats up? All along the Chargers have used the uncertainty of next year affect us THIS YEAR! If other teams can sign their guys there is no way we couldn't do it for our YOUNG guys WE developed. I don't care about Jacksons off field stuff. Put that **** in his contract. And there is no reason in the world that McNeil is in this situation. What do you have to do to get a contract as a starting young LT these days? What, they grow on trees? I have always FELT that the Chargers were using the fact that they had an opportunity to keep these guys (at least they thought so) on the cheap knowing that their original 2nd round deals were suppose to end this year BUT with this labor **** going on, there is this "loophole" to keep guys who were suppose to be free agents at a discounted price. And I don't want to hear about the tenders they left on the table. Maybe if there was some compromise about discussing contracts after signing the tenders, then maybe they would of come in. The Chargers knew they had them by the balls and planned on them blinking first. Now we, the fans are being sold some **** about being the best team in 4 years according to Turner. How is that possible when we may not have 2 of our best players? (And honestly I don't even know what the hell is going on with #56. I don't hear much about his situation) Guys, like I said before (sorry Buck) I'm just so F---king tired of coming up short. It takes so much out of me. I don't know how to deal with the expectations and then falling short of them. Just get ALL my horses in and win this F--king thing!

23. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Ed McGuire works for AJ. He does what AJ tell s him to do, and AJ does what the owner tells him to do. If AJ says they are not working on deals, Ed McGuire can't go behind his back and start working in a deal, or he would be finding himself a new job.

I am not slinging mud or guessing at anything. I am going by what AJ and Dumervill have said publicly. AJ said they will NOT work on any deals until the CBA gets worked out, and Dumervil said he wouldn't have signed if the Donkeys weren't willing to negotiate a new deal. That is what these guys have said. So for people to say that if VJ and MM would have signed their tender, they could have worked on a new deal, they are just wrong because they still wouldn't have even started negotiations. Nothing I said was a guess, it is all what people have said in public

24. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Well said

25. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
  26. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    No need to apologize for your feelings. I only take issue when people seem to think that they have facts that they don't. We ALL feel the same regarding winning. Please gawd let it rain!!! :lol:

Think about what you said about paying/keeping young guys that we develop .... there's a big part of me that thinks AJ doesn't really want these 2 long-term. Otherwise why wouldn't he pay them? He's usually pretty damn loyal to the home boys.

As we all know, right, wrong, or indifferent - AJ does not suffer fools. If this stays professional, it may work out well for all concerned. If it doesn't ..... kiss their asses good-bye right now.

27. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I hope it is true, and if it is, it just once again shows that the excuse they have been using for the last few months was complete BS, or they wouldn't be doing it now

28. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I agree with you, which is why I haven't ever blamed AJ for these guys not being signed. He can only spend the money and sign the players his boss allows him to sign, and his boss is the Dean Spanos

29. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    one thing I've learned over the years with players, contracts, ect.. Is you never hear the whole story. Or many times misleading storys by media writers.

The chargers are one of the best at keeping a secret or letting out misleading info. (ala accee, I'd bet money his main job is misinformation). They won't let anything out what they are doing until "boom" it happens. And were all taken by surprise almost every time.