1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Broncos' QB Kyle Orton has a knack for winning

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by goboilers, Oct 5, 2009.

1. goboilers

goboilers BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50
    Any team but the donkeys...

Broncos' QB Kyle Orton has a knack for winning
    By Mike Klis
    The Denver Post
    The Denver Post
    Posted:10/05/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT

Kyle Orton is usually good, sometimes not so good, and occasionally lucky.

What he is above all else is uncanny.

He came into this season with an impressive 21-12 record as a starting quarterback in the NFL despite an unimpressive 71.1 passer rating.

Make that 25-12 after Orton helped the Broncos defeat the Dallas Cowboys 17-10 on Sunday.

"I don't listen to things about me," Orton said. "I play this game to win football games and compete with 52 other guys. It is not about me."

The Game 4 box score will show Orton completed 20-of-29 passes for 243 yards and two touchdowns without an interception. There was more to the story behind those touchdown passes.

His first zipped through the hands of Dallas outside linebacker and former Purdue teammate Anthony Spencer — into the grasp of Broncos running back Knowshon Moreno, who went in for a 9-yard score.

"He left me off the hook on that play," Orton said of Spencer. "Sometimes you get lucky."

After his win-loss record, the most impressive statistic in Orton's career? In the red zone he has 25 touchdown passes against just two interceptions. Better hands by Spencer and it would have been 24 and three, but still.

"I didn't know if it was going to be a pick or a touchdown, but Knowshon made a great catch," Orton said. "I don't even think he saw the ball."

On his second touchdown, Orton threw a perfectly high pass down the right hash to Brandon Marshall, who was well covered by the Cowboys' best cornerback, Terence Newman. Marshall made a terrific leaping grab, then a sensational run for a 51-yard TD.

For the season, Orton is 4-0 with five touchdown passes and no interceptions. He was sacked three times Sunday.

"He did some good things. We wished we could have hit the one to (Jabar) Gaffney there in the first quarter," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said of the play where Gaffney was open on a deep post. "But he took some shots today, got sacked a little bit more than he would want and really hung in there and made some big plays at the end."

2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,424
    Kyle Orton has got to be the luckiest son of a ***** to ever play the position of quarterback in the NFL.

Both of his TD passes yesterday were pure luck.

The first one, which was underthrown, should have been a pick-6 but it magically went right through the defender's arms.

The 2nd one was a blind chuck to Marshall who proceeded to dance around Cowboys defenders who thought they were playing two hand touch.

Any rate, Orton's "knack for winning" is the same knack he had for winning in Chicago. Riding an outstanding defense and not ****ing up too much.

I can't believe I just said "outstanding defense" in reference to Denver, but that's what they've played the past 4 games.

3. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    His record shows how good the Bears defense was a couple of years back when he took over for Grossman. Orton is a terd, and will never be an elite QB...Sorry.

4. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Puuuuleaze .. Ask a any Bear's fan if they miss Orton right now?

5. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    We'll see on Monday Night. I will say that I'd always rather have wins over stats. ****ler threw for a ton of yards year after year but they never won ****.

6. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    Some time ago, I was telling a Bears fan that I was amazed they weren't starting Kyle Orton who simply wins games. He made me think of Stan Humphries back then - he doesn't worry about stats or anything other than winning.

Having said that - I predict the bolts will roll right over the Donks in week six. :tup:

7. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,424
    I think every player who's ever played for a team in the NFL and every fan who has ever cheered for a team in the NFL agrees with this.

The problem is, it takes more than just a QB to win a game so saying one QB is better than another just because his team wins more is being extremely naive.

Kyle Orton has been blessed with some of the best defenses in the NFL behind him and this year has had an amazing string of luck to go with it.

That does not make him a good QB, that makes him a decent-at-best QB playing for good teams.

• Like Like x 1
  8. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,424
    Do you honestly think Dan Marino, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Philip Rivers, Dan Fouts, Drew Brees or any of the other stat monsters worry about stats when they're on the field?

They don't, the stats just come with the territory of their dominance.

"He doesn't worry about stats or anything other than winning" is just a lame cliche to make excuses for the fact that he doesn't do much to help his team win other than not **** up (and, by consequence, doesn't get many stats.)

9. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    Now im not gonna sit here and knock Big Ben because he is now becoming a great QB who makes smart decisions. But do you really think that Big Ben was asked to win super bowls you are crazy. Ben won his first super bowl on pure defense, as did Trent Dilfer. Pittsburgh football always has been about the QB just doing enough to lead his team and not make mistakes and let the defense do what it does. Now they have a different element because he can rally them together and put the team on his shoulders which makes them scary good.

Orton is a average at best QB who has benefited from extremely good defenses and has never been asked to rally his team from 2 or 3 Td's down to win a big game. And he won't do it with Denver either. Their defense is playing out of their *** right now but very possibly are going to get rolled in the next 4 games.

10. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    Rep! :tup:

11. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    I thought the Broncos were going to get rolled by Dallas, a team with a decent passing attack and a running game that had been averaging 200 yards per game. Instead, they shut Dallas down. Dungver has confidence, and they have some leaders now, something that they were lacking last year. You give a team confidence and anything can happen. Not to mention that Mike Nolan has done a great job coaching up a defense that was abysmal the last two years. I have a feeling that our game won't be the typical blowout we've enjoyed the last two years, and our defensive line will really have to step up or else that Denver oline could cause more than a few problems.

12. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,424
    I can't disagree with any of this.

13. reddenedbeard

Ratings:
    +112
    Pfft .. Romo missed wide open receivers all day!

14. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    He has a coach that's 100 times better than ours!!!

NO POINT DENYING IT!!!! :bolt:

15. vegasboy

vegasboy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    Unless something amazing happens during the bye week, the bolts will be the ones rolled right over when they meet Denver's chop blocking O line. Every team that we have faced so far has manhandled our D line. Look for Moreno to run for 100+

For those of you old enough to remember it is like the Fouts days of the early 80's where Dan and company had to overcome a pourous defense to win.:icon_cry:

16. crash123go

crash123go Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +0
    I see denver running right threw that paper tiger defense there in san diego. man your run defense is so bad you guys made the steelers look good running the ball.

17. crash123go

crash123go Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +0
    thats because he was sacked five times and was getting hit almost every throw.

18. msmith

msmith BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    Remember during the preseason games when Orton was throwing all those picks, and everybody in the planet was predicting how bad the Broncos would be?

How things have turn around so quickly.

19. reddenedbeard

Ratings:
    +112
    There were more than one instance where he missed wide open receivers and wasn't knocked to the ground. Romo just sucks a**.

20. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Really? The defense made that ridiculously amazing pass to Santonio Holmes in SB clutch time? Ben has proven over and over and over again his uncanny ability to show up big in big games and simply an amazing knack for always being good when he needs to be good. Never have I seen a guy anticipate and avoid a rush like that big fella. If I was starting a team I would probably draft him first as my QB.

Orton is terrible and the real Orton will show up soon.