1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Broncos release MLB Al Wilson

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Apr 13, 2007.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    • Like Like x 1
  2. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    he's been failing physicals faster than I do... :icon_eek:

3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    If he passes the physical I'd be happy to have a disgruntled Bronco on the team. Might help us out a lot!

4. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Hahaha... This is funny. Broncos have to release one of their better defenders because of stupid free agency moves.

Should we go after him? If he's healthy and can sign him for the right price, sure. He definitely worth a look, but I'm not sure he's recovered from that neck injury he got against Seattle last season. I know he's already failed at least one physical. Not sure why though, if it was the neck, or something else. I'd want our docs to look him over closely and sign off before we would really consider signing him.

5. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I don't understand how professional athletes fail physicals... I mean like what exactly do they test a guy on and put him through? Is it 'cause he's not fully recovered from his injury? I don't get it.

But if Wilson has recovered from his injury I wouldn't mind seeing him sportin' the blue and gold. Unfortunatly, I do not think we will pursue him 'cause it's just not AJs style. Some team will probably over pay for Mr. Wilson's services, but I don't think it'll be us.

6. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288
    I agree :tup: :yes:

7. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I think you're probably right.

As far as failing physicals, I've heard that standards for these physicals can vary a lot depending on the team, the position, and how badly they want to sign a guy.

At least that's what I've heard. :icon_huh:

8. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    And can you imagine if he was traded to NYG for that first round pick?
    I think they just hung themselves by admitting they were trying to scam the Giants into taking damaged goods.

9. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    Wilson has always pretty much owned LT and our o-line so this is good news.

10. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    i think this is the kind of player AJ needs to jump on, would be perfect, probowl LB to play with matt if godfrey doesnt come back

11. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I would not be opposed to the idea of Al Wilson being a Charger.

12. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I always liked the way this guy has played (even if he was a Bronco). If he is healthy, then I think we should go after him.

13. BIG WILLIE STYLE

BIG WILLIE STYLE BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +13
    :tup:

He would be a perfect replacement of Donnie.

14. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    agree
    :yes:

15. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    wilson technically isnt old but i think he is, his injuries the last year have shown it. the only vol we should be goin after is meachem now, bc kelley washington and stallworth are peazd. peaz

16. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    if the number isnt outrageous absofuqinlutely we should try and pick him up, we need mlb depth, if al's healthy he's a starter no question. im all for it.

17. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I like Cooper and Wilhelm but if he can pass a physical then he'd be an incredible talent to add that would make this defense even better

18. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    If Denver is going to flat-out release the guy what makes anyone here think he has anything left? This guy was a difference-maker and now Denver is just going to dump him?

I don't think he'd be a worth-while pickup unless he wants to come in at league-minimum or something. The guy was a beast once, but if any of you guys have ever had a neck-injury you'll know that's a dangerous thing to play around with and could make him a shadow of his former self. I think signing him might be pretty much like signing Zeke Moreno at this point.

19. reddenedbeard

Ratings:
    +112
    Wow .. I can't believe you just compared Wilson to Moreno. That is just wrong.

20. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    All I know is that the guy is such damaged-goods that Denver unloaded him even though it saves them less than $2 million under the cap. They have cap troubles but not THAT bad. If they're releasing him it's because he's not worth the $1.67 million they save by keeping him. What does that tell you about his current physical state?

Like I said, I'm not averse to signing him, but it would be at a totally safe contract that doesn't impact our cap more than minimally. Teams don't just cut multiple-time pro-bowlers who should be in their physical primes unless there's a real concern there.

21. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Denver backloads alot of contracts meaning players earn a massive amounts in hte later years of the deal (one of the ways Denver seems to grab everyone in FA and not get into cap trouble) but it means they'll release alot of players just to save themselves the problem when the end of their contract is near. No different then why the Ravens released Jamal Lewis or the Titans released Travis Henry.

There are medical concerns but he's not old and he's still one of the best ILBs in the game.

22. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    That remains to be seen. Pretty much any Bronco fan will tell you that Wilson got into the pro-bowl last year on reputation...that his performance dropped off significantly after the injury.

IF Wilson can recover from his injuries he's a beast...I'm not questioning that at all. But he needs to sign an incentive-laden contract or he's too risky. He's already nixed one deal by failing a physical, and it's obvious the Broncos couldn't get a 12-pack of Lite Beer for him or else they wouldn't have to release him.

Maybe you're right and his contract is simply prohibitive. But the guy's performance dropped-off after the injury last year, and he failed a physical and has now been cut. That's quite a few warning-signs right there...

23. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I'd love to have a pissed off ex-Bronco on the team.

We can use the injuries to our advantage by signing him to an incentive laden contract. If he plays, we win. If he doesn't we can still win.

I hope AJ at least takes a look. Having all these kids on the team isd awesome, but we do still need to sprinkle in a vet or two here and there. Plus, I think just about anyone would want to play with this team, we are ready to go to the big game for the next few years. It would be a good chance for him to get a ring before he's got to leave the game.

Al Wilson has always been one of those opposing players that you hate to go against because he is so good. A chance to add that guy to our team is exciting.

24. reddenedbeard

Ratings:
    +112
    I know you put the caveat in there and all that .. But to be fair, you did compare him to Zeke Moreno. I think he certainly would be a pretty fair upgrade from Moreno when he was at his best regardless if he is injured or not.

Having said that, I do agree, any contract with him should be incentive laden. Any Ex-Bronco who is disgruntled can't be all bad.

25. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    I used the Zeke Moreno comparison just to highlight how far an injury can drag a player down. We may think we're getting a beast only to discover he's turned into a bunny-rabbit.

• Like Like x 1
  26. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    I'm sure he knows if he can play or not physically, if he's cleared theres no better form of motivation than joining a team in your initial teams division. san diego would be a perfect fit for him for many reasons, aj needs to strike a deal and see what happens.

27. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Pretty simple. If Al is healthy and passes his physical... grab the dude. :yes:

28. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886

Now your comparing him to Thump. :icon_shrug:

29. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    signing injury prone linebackers doesnt seem like a priority to me. cooper and wilhelm (and dobbins) will be allstars if the DL stays solid. imo drafting a DT in the middle rounds would be more beneficial than signing FA LBs at this point (Kareem Brown DT Miami)..

30. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Umm, you do know we can do both, right?