1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Brooks: Contenders or pretenders?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Thumper, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Aug 24, 2005

2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Aug 15, 2006
    Too early to call.

Seeing that 30th ranking in rushing its friggin frustrating tho..
  3. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Mar 10, 2007
    I'm looking at more like 10-6, but without a balanced offense it's really not going to work this year, and I hate to say it. If the defense can hold ALL teams to 17 points or less, then it would be possible with a mediocre running game, but there is just too many good teams in this league, 2009 will be a struggle to do well in the playoffs this year.

I have a bad feeling in my gut for 2009. I'm just saying :icon_shrug:
  4. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2006
    They have the talent to pull it together, and although they have many obstacles to overcome, they can get hot late in the season just like anyone else.

Hopefully our injury bug is ridding itself from our 209 locker room early. We know this offense can light up a scoreboard as is, so ultimately our biggest concern is defense.

Both sides of the line have rookies who have been somewhat thrown to the wolves. They will get better, they really don't have a choice at this point as it can't get much worse. Merriman is not 100%, as he said he wasn't going to be until week 3 possibly week 4. It's not right, but anytime a full 60 minuts goes by without an interception by Cromartie, I want to slide Cason into his position and put Cromartie back at nickel where he had his best season as a pro.

Eliminate the Td killing self induced penalties. Those can be expected somewhat early in the season, (though shouldn't be) and shouldn't persist all season long. Another area that's very fixable, they just haven't got into rhythm as of yet.

So far both games were dictated (and dominated) by the other team on both sides of the ball. Getting into a groove, and mastering the snap and pre snap corrections will narrow that gap. This offense needs the D on its heels to reveal its true identity, as well as run effectively with our two back stable.
  5. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Jul 12, 2007
    maybe our two young defensive linemen will become crazy good
    maybe my head is in la la land
    maybe I am super hungry and craving carne asada fries
    whatever the case is, even before Jamal's injury we were in trouble
    • Like Like x 1