1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Browns WR Stallworth hits, kills Fla. pedestrian

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by sdbound, Mar 14, 2009.

1. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/29694639/

MIAMI BEACH, Fla. - Police in Miami Beach say Cleveland Browns wide receiver Donte Stallworth has hit and killed a pedestrian with his Bentley.

Police spokesman Juan Sanchez says Stallworth hit a man crossing the busy causeway that links downtown Miami with Miami Beach around 7 a.m. Saturday.

The man was pronounced dead at a trauma center. He was near a crosswalk but it’s not clear if he was crossing legally.

Stallworth is cooperating and no charges have been filed. Officers drew his blood to test for drugs or alcohol, which is routine. Police say it’s too early to tell if Stallworth was violating traffic laws.

The 28-year-old former New England Patriot signed a seven-year, $35 million contract with the Browns as a free agent before last season but hardly played because he was hurt.

• Like Like x 1
  2. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    Oh my God. That's terrible.

3. Deb

Deb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +255
    what horrible news. Wow

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,804
    so sad :(

5. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Sorry for the dude who died, but this happens ever day all over the world and no one seems to care. Only reason anyone gives a **** is because some rich jerkoff was involved.

6. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Maybe it was just an accident? it just happened to involve Stallworth:icon_shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  7. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Like you said "this happens ever day all over the world." If every death made national news, it would take up the whole newspaper.
    Why is Stallworth a jerkoff?

8. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    don't know

but

he's turned out to be a bust

• Like Like x 1
  9. sdbound

Ratings:
    +942
    From PFT,

As authorities in South Florida wait for the results of a blood draw performed on Browns receiver Donte’ Stallworth, a source with knowledge of the investigation tells us that prosecutors are preparing an indictment for DUI manslaughter, under the assumption that the results will show that Stallworth’s blood alcohol content exceeded the legal limit of 0.08 percent when he collided with a pedestrian, who later died.

Per the source, Stallworth admitted to drinking at least four Patrons and two Margaritas. A separate source called that information “basically right,” but added that Stallworth contends he had his last drink at midnight. The incident occurred after 7:00 a.m. local time.

We’re also told that Stallworth claimed in his statement to police that he saw the man crossing the street from a distance, and flashed the high beams and honked the horn of the Bentley he was driving. Apparently, there’s an issue as to whether Stallworth could have taken evasive action because of a barrier along the median.

We’re told that Stallworth is badly shaken by the news that the pedestrian had died.

And, frankly, he should be. Apart from the fact that he was involved in an accident that claimed a man’s life, Stallworth could be facing serious criminal liability, if the pending test reveals an impermissibly high concentration of alcohol in his blood.

10. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    it's a damned shame regardless of who was involved.:no:

• Like Like x 1
  11. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    A median doesn't prevent you from using your brakes. He better do some significant amount of time.

12. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    Sounds like the guy was crossing illegally, or thinking about it. Stalworth might of hit the lights to give him a heads up that he wasn't going to just slam his breaks, the guy still walked across illegally anyways not heading traffic.

Might be like the people who stand in the middle and cross when they think its clear. Too bad it wasn't.

No evidence suggest that he never slammed on his breaks.

Sad news for the guy who died and his family. They are trying to see if he had any alcohol (stallworth) which usually means that otherwise the case would be dismissed, meaning the pedestrian is also at fault. If it was entirely on Stallworth they would of already put him in jail, only way it goes anywhere is if he has a significant amount of alcohol.

13. sdbound

Ratings:
    +942
    Stallworth recieved his 4.75 million dollar signing bonus on Friday. The accident happened at 7:17 am Saturday.

What are the odds that he was out all night celebrating vs. getting up early to go to IHOP? It doesn't look good for Donte'.

I know he's innocent until proven guilty. I'm just speculating.

14. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    From pft-

PROSECUTORS POISED TO CHARGE STALLWORTH WITH DUI
    Posted by Mike Florio on March 14, 2009, 6:47 p.m. EDT

As authorities in South Florida wait for the results of a blood draw performed on Browns receiver Donte’ Stallworth, a source with knowledge of the investigation tells us that prosecutors are preparing an indictment for DUI manslaughter, under the assumption that the results will show that Stallworth’s blood alcohol content exceeded the legal limit of 0.08 percent when he collided with a pedestrian, who later died.

Per the source, Stallworth admitted to drinking at least four Patrons and two Margaritas. A separate source called that information “basically right,” but added that Stallworth contends he had his last drink at midnight. The incident occurred after 7:00 a.m. local time.

We’re also told that Stallworth claimed in his statement to police that he saw the man crossing the street from a distance, and flashed the high beams and honked the horn of the Bentley he was driving. Apparently, there’s an issue as to whether Stallworth could have taken evasive action because of a barrier along the median.

We’re told that Stallworth is badly shaken by the news that the pedestrian had died.

And, frankly, he should be. Apart from the fact that he was involved in an accident that claimed a man’s life, Stallworth could be facing serious criminal liability, if the pending test reveals an impermissibly high concentration of alcohol in his blood.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/14/prosecutors-poised-to-charge-stallworth-with-dui/

15. pure-sol

Ratings:
    +255
    I know it's just speculation, but after 17 years of driving experience, I know that if I see a pedestrian crossing the street in my way, illegally or not, my first reaction is not to flash my lights and honk my horn, but to slam on my brakes. If I have the time to make the decision to flash my lights and honk my horn, then it's definitely enough time to avoid the accident altogether.

16. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Hard to figure this unless he was seriously impaired. Not the kind of thing you do sober.

17. pure-sol

Ratings:
    +255
    link

Looks like he was drunk... it's too bad football players are trained to put their bodies through tremendous amounts of pain and whatnot, yet they're not taught how to use a phone when they're drunk. :no:

18. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I hope he goes to prison for a long time.

(wishful thinking)

19. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Sucks mightily.

20. Phenomenal TJ

Phenomenal TJ Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2
    Eh, Miami Police won't confirm the reports of him being over the legal limit, so I'm going to save my judgment until their investigation is over.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...I heard that vehicular manslaughter in that state draws up to 15 years in prison. It's not looking like a good future for Donte...but at least he still has one, unlike the man he hit :no:

22. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Yeah. If he's telling the truth about having 6 mixed drinks and his last sip of alcohol at midnight... 7 hours might be enough.
    Then again... when did he have his first sip of alcohol?

23. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635

24. pure-sol

Ratings:
    +255
    You're right, but I just feel like maybe they're not pushing it hard enough? I know that no matter what you do people will be stupid and will drive drunk, but maybe put a general clause in their contracts that if they get busted with DUI then they give up tons of money or something, I don't know.

I don't pretend to have all the answers, but there's obviously a problem. Haynesworth got busted with DUI on the same weekend. IMO that just means that he got lucky enough to get caught BEFORE he killed someone.

Maybe make it SOP that when someone signs a big contract, spring for a limo so they can party that night and not worry about driving.

25. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,804
    It's a sad sad situation that's for sure, for everyone involved.

Maybe it's b/c some jackass almost earned himself a darwin award in front of me this morning on my way to work... or maybe it's b/c I cannot stand how people are tried and convicted in the court of public opinion, based solely on assumptions, speculation and hearsay... but it's been bugging me all day. Somehow people seem to have forgotten, the guy didn't have to step off the curb into oncoming traffic. It's not like he was run down on the sidewalk - he walked out onto a major causeway. Aren't you supposed to look both ways before you cross the street? Isn't jaywalking against the law for a reason?? In a collision, Car > Person.

If Stallworth was drunk, he will certainly pay. Both with jailtime as well as from his wallet. Hell, even if he wasn't drunk he's going to get cleaned out in civil court. And none of it will ever bring that man back to his family :no:

Makes me wonder if either one of them, had taken one extra moment of thought that morning - could it all have been avoided? Seems so simple in hindsight... certainly easy for us to judge from the comfort of our living rooms/dens/offices. Will it make any of us think twice before we pass on the right? Before we drive over the speed limit? Before we go with our impulse to take a short-cut instead of a crosswalk? :icon_shrug:

26. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Drunk drivers should be shot.

27. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49

what about drunk posters

28. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Exactly!!! Everybody has that choice... regardless of how much money you make.

Though it sounds like he had the right idea. I'm assuming that he had a place to crash since it happened at 7:00am. If that's the case, he needed more time to sober up.

29. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Drunk posting is fine (and in some cases, encouraged), as long as it's not from a laptop or iPhone when driving.

30. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    That's the tact that should be taken. And whatever comes out, I'll leave the judging to the court system.

It's a horrible tragedy that looks as though it could have been avoided. I'm sorry for all parties involved. My ex's mother & little brother were killed by a drunk driver when she was 4. She & her aunt were passengers in the car with them. I understand the seriousness of the problem.

I simply choose to let those who are placed in the position of judge & jury to assess the facts & mete out punishment. Thos of us here, unless we happen to be part of the situation, will likely never know all of the facts & therefore are found lacking to judge.