1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Bud is unhappy with the NFL

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,412
    Anheuser-Busch disappointed, concerned, dissatisfied with NFL
    Posted by Michael David Smith on September 16, 2014, 3:47 PM EDT

A major NFL sponsor has had enough with the misbehavior of NFL players and the response of NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and the owners he works for.

Anheuser-Busch, the beer maker that spends a fortune on NFL advertising and sponsorship, has released a strongly worded statement in response to the controversies that have unfolded over the last week regarding Ray Rice, Adrian Peterson, Greg Hardy and Ray McDonald.

“We are disappointed and increasingly concerned by the recent incidents that have overshadowed this NFL season. We are not yet satisfied with the league’s handling of behaviors that so clearly go against our own company culture and moral code. We have shared our concerns and expectations with the league,” the statement said.

Previous statements from the NFL’s corporate partners have generally shown confidence in the NFL’s ability to get a handle on the events that have contributed to the ugliest week in NFL history. The statement from Anheuser-Busch shows no such confidence. If the NFL can’t satisfy Anheuser-Busch, the NFL is at risk losing one of its most lucrative partners.

Which means Roger Goodell is at risk of losing his job. Make no mistake, the reason the NFL’s owners are supportive of Goodell is that the NFL’s owners have made a lot of money while Goodell has run the league. The day Goodell’s mismanagement of this issue costs the owners money is the day Goodell loses the support of the owners. Goodell has already mismanaged the Rice case. He had better figure out the right way to handle the cases of Peterson, Hardy and McDonald.

If Goodell can’t get the job done, the owners will find a commissioner who can.

2. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    Pretty strong words from an entity that has made its billion$$ pushing
    a product that has directly led to so much drunken domestic violence,
    never mind drunk driving, and so on.
    Awesome to hear that they now have a "moral code."

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    I was a bit surprised to hear that myself. ;)

I think what they meant to say, was that they have an aversion to negative PR.

4. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    Alcohol doesn't cause domestic violence. Immature assholes who don't know how to treat their significant others or properly handle a disagreement and can't handle their alcohol cause domestic violence.

Alcohol doesn't cause drunk driving. Morons who don't know how to insure they have adequate transportation prior to making the sober decision to drink cause drunk driving.

• Winner Winner x 2
  5. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    The only problem with that....... there are a LOT of "immature assholes" and "morons" that buy their products. And they know that. In fact, their immature and moronic commercials cannot be aimed at any other audience.

6. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    Yeah...next time you're at a Charger game, ask a security guy how much easier his
    job would be without alcohol. Yes, and guns don't kill people.
    A lot of innocent people just end up dead very near guns.

No one disputes the contribution of the "immature assholes"
    but that doesn't mean we need to pretend that alcohol doesn't repeatedly,
    directly and predictably lead to horrible consequences. It does. And AB profits. Let's be honest.

7. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    I'm not going to be naive and pretend that it's not as though beer companies don't care who buys their product so long as they get the money for it (which, to be fair, puts them in the same boat as the NFL not caring about anything but the players' performance and earning potential) but that still doesn't make it their fault or the fault of the alcohol.

8. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    Let's not turn this into a gun debate. It's touchy enough trying to direct blame away from the perp when it comes to alcohol.

9. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    It's not a gun debate. But when we say:
    "Alcohol doesn't cause domestic violence" and "Alcohol doesn't cause drunk driving."
    we're very much playing the "Guns don't kill people" game...as if the presence of guns
    (or alcohol) wasn't a huge factor in the deaths of a lot of innocent Americans

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    I'm not going to lie, I'm in the "guns don't kill people" boat. I just didn't want to go there because we're broaching a line as is.

I've said my piece on this very unimportant (to the Chargers and this board) matter so I won't argue it, though, lol

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  11. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    We probably agree that "guns don't kill people"...though I'd add that the phrasing is a bit disingenuous.
    More honest would be:
    "Guns don't kill people, people with horrible judgement that hand an Uzi to an untrained 9 year-old girl,
    and irresponsible gun owners who keep letting their 4 year-olds shoot the neighbor's five year-old,
    kill people."
    But that's not a very catchy bumper sticker.

So yeah, no need to go further, Leo, but I still don't look to Anheuser-Busch for moral authority.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    So by your logic, the presence of the car would also be a huge factor in drunk driving - should we be adding Ford/Chevy/Etc... to our blame list too?

The point is, major sponsors are speaking out. Whether or not it's sincerely about their feelings on the matter or not (b/c corporations are people too now ya know) what matters is that they're a BIG source of income for the NFL and their opinion matters to owners. If this were to continue, it could mean Goodell will be ousted. That's certainly news worthy and it doesn't lessen the problem with the NFL's priorities when it comes to player misconduct.

13. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    Or, anything resembling what would commonly be referred to as beer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    Seriously Syd? Take a look at Ken Burns' "Prohibition" for the history of alcohol in this nation...
    it wasn't moralists that got it banned by the 18th Amendment...it was women defending themselves
    and their children.

15. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    Actually, yes........ have you seen how many coverups there have been by the automakers recently to avoid recalls. Not just negligent behavior, but darn right criminal. People have died needlessly because of them.

16. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    To be clear, I don't look to Anheuser-Busch (or any organization whose main motivation is profit, for that matter) as moral authority.

I also conceded that the point of the initial charge of hypocricy is valid because AB more than likely cares not whether it's a responsible beer drinker or some dillweed who resorts to violence in a drunken stupor buying their product.

I was merely responding to the incorrect (in my opinion) claim that alcohol is to blame for those people's actions.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Sorry, but the facts suggest otherwise. There is a very strong correlation between excessive drinking and incidence of domestic violence. Alcohol does not affect everyone the same way. But for a large percentage of people, alcohol leads to decreased inhibitions and a greater tendency towards violence.

18. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Obviously, whether drunk or sober, people are responsible for their actions. But alcohol plays a part. To say otherwise is ignorant.

19. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    That doesn't absolve the idiot abuser of the responsibility, nor does it mean I should feel guilty in partaking of alcohol because I'm not an *******.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    I appreciate your level-headed response, Leo. Genuinely.

I just don't see it as a bifurcation: Yes, I agree that it isn't as simple as "alcohol is to blame for those people's actions."
    But the reality is that they make billions in profits knowing that they market to a population in which literally
    millions will do horrible things under the influence of their products.
    Alcohol isn't legal because it's role in American life is not devastating...
    (families ruined by an alcoholic dad, drunk driving, health problems, increased domestic violence, and on and on and on)
    Alcohol is legal because having it be illegal proved impossible to enforce.
    Before we learned that, it was banned because of the awful role it played in American culture.

I'm fine with rejecting the sentence "alcohol is to blame for people's actions"
    but not if it means that we have to pretend that a company profiting handsomely on the sale
    of alcohol bears zero responsibility for the role that product plays in America.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    I didn't say it doesn't play a factor. Alcohol playing a factor wasn't the charge I was responding to.

The charge I was responding to was "a product that has directly led to so much drunken domestic violence,
    never mind drunk driving, and so on. "

Maybe I'm just splitting hairs here but the "...directly led to..." part implies that there's more blame on the product and less on the *******/idiot using it.

22. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    Well, even if we were extremely generous to AB, and said it was 90% the fault of the person...
    10% of all the rest, all the violence, all the deaths...would still leave them with little room to moralize to others.

23. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    After further thought I think I am splitting hairs here with your choice of wording in the initial reply.

I never, even from my first reply, intended to imply that I sympathise with AB's motives. It was more the implication (or at least my perception of such) that alcohol shares the majority of the blame for the actions discussed and not the perps that I was arguing against.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  24. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    You forgot the greedy multinational corporation pushing said product.

It would be rather shortsighted to pretend that AB doesn't spend billions of dollars promoting their product. Responsible drinking doesn't really pad the bottom line, now does it? Every beer add acts like there's a nonstop party going on where drinking is synonymous with fun. They aren't really promoting responsible drinking...... their "drink responsibly" tag doesn't have the same impact as their imagery.

25. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    As I've said, I'm not pretending AB cares whether or not it's a responsible drinker buying their product. But as anyone who's studied 20th Century American History (or anyone who's old enough to have experienced it) knows, it doesn't take some large coporation to convince idiots who aren't going to drink responsibly to get their hands on it and then abuse it.

26. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    We know that...... but, they are profiting from that behavior. Having seen their commercials, I would have to say that they even encourage irresponsible drinking. Slapping on a "Drink Responsibly" tagline at the end doesn't change that.

Remember, like nicotine, alcohol is an addictive substance. Some people find it easy to exercise self control.... but others aren't so lucky. Simple "will power" isn't enough for some people.

27. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    I don't think you're really responding to what I've been arguing.

I've said repeated times now that I'm not defending, nor arguing against the charge that AB cares more about profit than any negative effects that may come from their product and, therefore, sound like hypocrites when they accuse the NFL of caring more about their product.

28. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    Although the comparison between will power and addiction does touch on what I was arguing....to which I respond it's still not an excuse.

Addicted or not, at the end of the day it still takes a concious decision to pick up a bottle.

I'm not saying I don't empathise with somebody battling it but if their decision to drink some more leads to them making erroneous decisions in a drunken stupor they are still responsible for their actions.

29. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    Like it or not Anheuser-Busch pumps a lot of money into sports. Some of their on air advertisements are entertaining and they pay well to put those ads on TV. I see a lot of Bud Banners flying around a lot of stadiums. I am positive the NFL does not want to lose their millions.

30. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    So, is that the end of the Bud Light beer stands down in the tunnel of the Murph?