1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Buddy Nix's take on the Draft.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BlueandGold, Mar 24, 2007.

1. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    Full article: http://www.chargers.com/news/headlines/nix-s-path.htm

Highlights:

This draft is a lot different for our staff because we’re going to have to wait a while before we pick. We pick 30th in the first round. It’s challenging. When you’re picking in the top five or 10, it’s hard to not get a good player. With where we are this year, there are some guys that we know won’t be there. Sometime between now and draft day, we’ll get a better idea of the number of possibilities we may have at that position. Once you figure out who is likely to be there, you concentrate on those guys.

I try to go to as many pro days as I can. I mostly go to places that have players that we think we might be interested in. We don’t go to every pro day. If a guy doesn’t do something at the Combine, we go to his pro day and get his “measurables.” Also, if there’s a guy that we think runs a 4.5 in the forty in the spring and he runs a 4.7 at the Combine, we know something is wrong. We’ll go to that player’s pro day to make sure we get an accurate number.

The Combine and pro days give you a chance to get to know these guys better, but we’re 90 percent set on a guy based on what he does playing. The other 10 percent is running, jumping and basically a track or gymnastics meet. We factor in the Wonderlic test and spend a lot of time talking to the guys, but generally the tape doesn’t lie. You’ll hear A.J. talk about a guy’s body of work. That’s what we want to see.

I can assure you we’ll never miss because of a lack of preparation.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    The NIX is the anti-matter which open portals for the mere mortals...brrrp...:icon_toast: Buddy Nix is indeed "the shiit" :yes: :bolt2:

3. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Explain to me why you are posting anything!? Not that most of us don't care because I think we do .. Did somebody get a hold of your internet connection or something!?

Forgive me if this has already been answered..

4. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    MTL's inside info (100% legit hanest): Chargers are targeting Mike Walker WR UCF in the late 2nd round. Heard it from three different sources including Walker himself. This will hold true until draft day.

5. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243

Does that mean we can shitcan that info on draft day? :lol:

6. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    What is it you find so contrary about Trumpies post? Perhaps I could ask why you felt you needed to post thist particular post?

7. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Why are you questioning his questioning. Can't his inquisition stand on it's own merits? Does it need yet another ponderance of worth to be valid?

8. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Why are you questioning my questioning his questioning? Do you feel that my questioning his questioning needs some dort of validation from you? I would humbly suggest that the mere fact of my questioning his questioning is indeed verification enough for the said questioning.

9. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I think we should Nix this discussion.

10. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I am not sure but when I get the answer, I will post it.

Don't worry too much over it because just like a fart in the wind, it passes. :yes:

11. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    LOL .. just wondering since you made "the post" .. :icon_huh:

12. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    It's getting curiouser and curiouser :icon_eek: :yes: :icon_shrug: :icon_huh: :icon_rofl:

13. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243

Like **** through a goose ......

14. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288
    Buddy is the MAN!! and he's my adopted Bolt :tup: :yes:

• Like Like x 1
  15. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    GBNReport.com is reporting the Chargers are interviewing Reggie Nelson (FS - Florida) for the second time

16. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Reggie Nelson is a fuccing dumb ***. Stooooopid ......

17. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    what makes you say this?

18. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I caught the last few minutes of a Sirius interview with him. He's stoopid.

Other stuff .....

RMANCIL posted an ESPN insider article:

The free safety is the last line of defense. If a scheme calls for changing coverage based on shifting, motion, etc, is he bright enough to diagnose it, and get the rest of the defenders into the proper defense? The free safety needs to be the "quarterback" of the defense, and this kid doesn't have the brains to do that. He played almost totally in a base cover-3, with a talented front seven, and was a zone centerfielder. Drafting a pure FS, rather than one that can flop to SS, makes our D more predictable AND having a dumb *** at FS limits our coverages and schemes.

I can't believe people are pimpin' this dude.........

19. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Ed Reed scored a 14 on the Wonderlic. Not exactly Rhodes Scholar material.

Nelson's intelligence scares me too, but there's a difference between sounding smart in an interview and being able to recognize the right defensive call.

20. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Nelson has been always diagnosed as a PURE Centerfielder who is a ballhawk but fairly ineffectual against the run. Ironically moving Mcree to SS would be perfect if we draft Nelson because Mcree could be a good cover SS as well as a good hitter, and Nelson could be our always deep cover guy whom we've needed for a while now.

21. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    Nelson also won't need to make the calls, as McCree was the FS last year and he is the leader of our DB's. I also love Weddle, and he is prolly a 30+ on the Wunderlic.

22. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Rogers Beckett still screwed the pooch with Rodney making the calls.

23. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    Does AJ have the bawls to take Weddle at 30?

24. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928
    does that require balls or stupidity?
    I'm still interested in John Wendling or Michael Johnson

25. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Last year's draft was pretty damn good.
    This one should be too.

It's just hard to top 2004 and 2005.

26. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Last I looked, Weddle was top-30 on Kiper's big board. A lot of people seem to project him as a second-rounder solid, but he played like a first-rounder.

27. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    At the end of the day none of us know ****. EVERYONE had Winston Justice gone in the top 15 last year. How did that work out?

None of us really have any idea as to the value of any of these players. It doesn't take the fun out of speculating, though...

28. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Not me. I said he was overrated.

But, I still don't know ****, as I didn't like McNeill because of his inconsistent play, lack of leverage, body leaner, etc ..... :lol:

Damn, I just read something today about McNeill's early practices with the Chargers, and how some teammates didn't think he would work out because of his laid back approach. Can't find it now ....

29. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928
    guilty as charged but by the same token McNeil was my #3 tackle after Justice and D'Brick. I thought McNeil had size, willingness to learn and the best trackrecord but Justice and D'Brick were more talented. I'm happy I was wrong. I wasn't one of the guys who were screaming when we drafted him.