1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Burner Turner back to bruising ways

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BoltsFanUK, Aug 8, 2007.

1. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    During what Head Coach Norv Turner called a very physical practice, he saw something from running back Michael Turner that Chargers fans have grown to love particularly over the past two seasons.

“Our guys have been taking care of LT pretty good but they’ve bounced Michael around a little bit,” Norv Turner said. “And he bounced them around a little bit, too.”

Fortunately for the Chargers, Michael Turner is back for a fourth season to run through and around opposing defenders. With his status as a restricted free agent, the Bolts entered the offseason unsure if they would have their 5-10, 237-pound bruiser back. After no teams were willing to meet the team’s asking price of a first and a third-round draft pick, Turner happily signed a one-year contract with the Chargers and focused in on the season.

“It’s been nice to be here with all these guys that are such good teammates, just playing with them and getting ready for what we believe is going to be a special season,” Turner said. “I haven’t really even thought about the contract situation or what went on this spring. I’ve really just been looking forward to playing.”

Norv Turner spoke highly of the work his backup running back has done in the training camp and said he’d like to see him play a bit in Sunday night’s preseason opener. While LaDainian Tomlinson spends little time on the field during the preseason, Michael Turner has benefited from his reps. He’s led the Chargers in carries in each of the previous two preseasons. He rushed 23 times for 151 yards (6.6 avg.) last year and logged 25 carries for 222 yards in 2005.

“It’s a good time for me to work with the first team and get some good things done,” Turner said. “I expect my preseason routine to be about the same this year, which is good.”

While Turner has carried the load in August, he’s also done an admirable job of providing the Chargers with a change of pace during the regular season. Last year, he rushed 80 times for 502 yards and proved to be a valuable weapon for the offense.

“Michael adds a different dimension to this team,” Tomlinson said. “He allows me to really be comfortable about my playing time. Instead of forcing myself to stay in the game when I need a break, I don’t feel bad about it. I can go out and get my breath knowing that the ball is going to continue to move up and down the field.”

With Norv Turner’s penchant for finding ways to get his playmakers involved, he’ll likely put together creative packages with his backup running back in mind. However, the head coach said Tuesday that likely won’t involve Michael Turner and Tomlinson in the backfield together.

“When you get those two guys in the backfield, someone has to block,” Turner said. “We’ve got two great lead blockers in Lorenzo (Neal) and Brandon (Manumaleuna). We’ll get enough carries for both LT and Michael.”

Tomlinson’s versatility and ability to line up in several different places could provide the Chargers an opportunity to get both he and Michael Turner on the field at the same time, which is something LT’s understudy is looking forward to.

“I think you’ll see it more on a week-to-week basis as we game plan for specific defenses,” Michael Turner said. “Right now we’re pretty much working on our base stuff. It’s been a fun camp, though. We’re all excited about what this offense can do and I know I’m going to have a role in it.”

Davis, Naanee sit

Wide receiver Craig “Buster” Davis and tight end Legedu Naanee missed Tuesday afternoon’s padded practice. Davis had missed some time with a sore knee, but Turner said it was a sore back that kept his first-round pick out of action Tuesday.

“He took a pretty good shot last Wednesday night in the back,” Turner said. “He’s practiced all the way through this last week with it. It was real tight.”

Naanee, who Turner has praised for his work ethic through the first week and a half of camp, suffered a slight strain in his groin that kept him out.

“I don’t know that he’s missed a rep (prior to today),” Turner said. “It was a combination of taking care of his groin and then he needs to just get a little bit of rest. We need to make sure he’s ready to roll on Sunday.”

Turner said that he expects both players to return to the practice field on Wednesday. On the plus side, wide receiver Kassim Osgood (hamstring) and linebacker Brandon Siler (ribs) were back on the field Tuesday.

Starters to play

Turner said that he’ll wait until as late as Saturday to make a firm decision, but he expects a majority of his starters to play roughly one quarter in Sunday’s preseason opener against the Seahawks.

Turner would like to get his first group anywhere from 15 to 18 snaps but will use caution with certain players depending on their health.

“If a guy has a little something (injury) and, from a precautionary standpoint, it’s in his best interest to limit him a little bit, we would do that,” Turner said.

Nice work

Charger fans will likely get their longest look they’ve received at backup quarterback Billy Volek Sunday night. The eight-year veteran who the Bolts acquired last September will likely receive the bulk of the snaps under center against the Seahawks. While much as been made about the solid camp Philip Rivers is having, Volek has caught the eyes of his coaches as well.

“He’s quietly having a very good camp because he doesn’t get a lot of attention,” Turner said. “I think he’s really worked hard at learning the offense and knowing what we’re trying to get done.”

Turner expects Volek to play most of the second and third quarter in Sunday’s preseason opener.

http://www.chargers.com/news/headlines/burner-turner-back.htm

2. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    So much for rumors that Volek was dogging it.

3. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Bringing Turner back could prove to be the best move AJ has ever made.

4. Kev

Kev BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +39
    :)

I love having Turner. How many other teams have a frakkin' backup that could be the #1 on any team in the league? I hope he has a great year and he goes wherever he wants next year with good feelings all around. Turner has been nothing but good for the Bolts. It would be awesome if the Bolts Offense goes so POSTAL this year that Turner actually gets a lot of plays simply 'cause L.T. already has his 4 TD's and they want to rest him! :abq1:

5. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    You gotta love the Burner.

It's funny - part of me hates to lose him, and would much rather see him being part of this Charger attack for the rest of his career.

But the better part of me is very excited to see the Burner being the featured rusher on his own squad, terrorizing the NFC.

;)

6. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Don't surprised if AJ doesn't have something up his sleeve next offseason in regards to the Burner. A franchise/transition tag and he could work a trade out with a team of his choice for top notch compensation...

In fact, I will go out on a limb and say that was the reason why AJ was willing to part with so much for Weddle. He knows the KINGS RANSOM is coming when we finally finds a trade partner for #33.

7. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    it seems like it so far:yes:

8. megold0715

megold0715 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70
    the burner is goin to be nearly unstopable this year take my word for it

9. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    That's been my thinking. Not only do we get more for him than from losing him to free Agency, if we have our finger on the trigger we can make sure he doesn't go to someone in the division or even in the AFC. I don't have to tell you that it would teh suck if the burner wound up in Denver. KC would be in the market, if they had cap room, if Larry the Load doesn't wise up.

10. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    I am stoked...we're going to see plays that we definitely are not used to.