1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Burress sitting out in contract dispute

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by -Scar-, Jun 11, 2008.

1. -Scar-

-Scar- thedoomship.com

Ratings:
    +205
    http://blog.nj.com/ledgergiants/2008/06/burress_holding_out_in_contrac.html

Dude Is Worth Any Money He Asks Of Them...:cool:

2. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    You signed the contract, STFU and play.

3. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680

Word.

4. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    Holla! Parker love

5. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    Gawd has spoken. :bow:

Great call there TK! :yes: :tup: :icon_toast:

6. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Might as well sit-out his SB Ring was stolen anyways.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Sheli's main target Burress wants more money

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3437205

8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408

Does the word "contract" mean anything in the NFL these days? :icon_shrug:

9. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748

Drew rosenhaus.

Enough said.

The owners and gms should band together and ban that douche from the league.

10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408

I don't care much for Rosenhaus, either, but the players have to agree to his tactics. They're as much to blame as he is.

It's all about greed. :icon_evil:

11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    He's pussing out. :lol:

Doesn't a contract mean you are bound to an agreement? WTF is going on with these re-do's part of the way into a contract? :icon_shrug:

The Giants will drop out of sight this year. Strahan made a smart decision.

12. montanabolthead

montanabolthead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +30

Burress signed the contract, now honor it. Maybe he should contact the Raiders if he's looking for more loot. If his approach was different, maybe the Giants management would listen.

13. Boltson

Boltson BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    Until they reform NFL contract rules, I see nothing wrong with a player seeking better compensation when warranted by legitimate circumstances. Why should we get pissed that a player does this, when the teams do it all the time when it suits their own needs? This is definitely a two way street, asking for it to be a one way street is asking for much more abuse in that one direction, which would eventually start to effect all teams - including ours. Burress played his *** of for that team last season, hurt the whole time. Boo hoo, I know. All Im saying is that balance needs to be maintained. If the teams can ask players to restructure when it seems appropriate, players should be able to do the same under similar circumstances. I would prefer to see new rules locking contracts in, eliminating this on both sides of the isle. But that isnt going to happen...

14. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    The thing I disagree about is this I.E.

I would not want Brandon Siler as a player he is now to be paid the same of if not more than LT does because Siler wants to be given as much if not more than LT does. As well I do not want a player like Clinton Hart to say I did just my job so I need more money for doing the bare minimum. So give me more money because I think I deserve it.

The thing I agree with is this. Since even Philip Rivers played through an injury he should ask to be given more money because he went above the call of his job. He then deserves to get more money. As well like if for LT again if he breaks another record of the chargers or NFL he then can ask for an increase of his base pay not just performance bonuses. I think that LT should be paid more.

That is my thoughts.

15. HughC

HughC BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    When a player signs a contract he (should) be well aware of what is guaranteed, and what is not should the team elect to cut him. Burress got over $11 million guranteed in a signing bonus and first year roster bonus. On top of that, he would have to be a complete bust or injured to be cut, as his annual salary for each of the last three years insures he would not be cut due to the salary cap. So he received the benefits of both guaranteed money and a long term security, signed when nobody else in the league was interested in him, and now he feels he's not being treated fairly? Yes, many players do get a raw deal, but I don't have sympathy for Burress in this situation. If he wasn't content with the original contract he should have signed a three year deal, instead of six.

And surprise, surprise, his agent is Drew Rosenhaus.

16. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
  17. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    There is some merit to that point of view, but in Chad Johnson's case he just got a new deal two years ago, and Rosenhaus was raving about it. The guaranteed money should buy the team a few years before they have to listen to the whining.

18. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I have a hard time giving anyone sympathy when they're pulling down that kind of scratch.

STFU and play. You signed the contract. If you want more money then negotiate it, don't sit the corner and pout.

19. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    You certainly were on last season.

I'd say Giants and Browns are a safe bet.