1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Buster Davis “off to great start”

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

By Christopher Smith, Chargers.com
    Posted 1 hour ago

8-5-2010

The fourth-year receiver seems to be playing as well as ever less than two weeks before the first preseason game.

SAN DIEGO – For all the gusto about competing during training camp, there are plenty of caveats.
    Be physical, but don’t injure a teammate.
    Push your body, but don’t jeopardize the season.
    That’s why, for the most part, daily participation reports are no more than fodder for message boards. The majority of injury-related absences are precautionary or far from impacting the season.
    Don’t tell that to Buster Davis. He’s stated more than once this offseason that he’s out to prove himself as a player, and he might grit through a few bumps and bruises as he attempts to capitalize on his fourth NFL season.
    “He’s had some unfortunate injuries. He hasn’t quite gotten the opportunity to have the role he’s going to have this year and he’s really been steady this whole offseason. I know he’s excited about the weeks to come,” Philip Rivers[​IMG] said.
    “I think the consistency of which he’s practicing stands out. He’s tired, he’s beat up like a lot of our receivers are, but he’s fighting like crazy to have himself out there every practice. He seems to have developed a mentality and a toughness. He’s as hungry as I’ve ever seen him and excited about the opportunity he’s gotten.”
    Davis made a splash during the offseason while Legedu Naanee[​IMG] still was waiting to get clearance following a foot injury and before Malcom Floyd[​IMG] signed his tender. Now, during camp, he’s displayed a similar skill set.
    “Buster’s had a great offseason,” Head Coach Norv Turner said. “He’s picked up where he left off. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that he’ll stay healthy. That’s been the biggest thing that’s held him back.
    “He’s got the toughness, he’s got the size, he’s got the speed and he’s off to a great start.”
    Davis caught six passes for 52 yards during a Week 17 win against Washington last season. The 6-foot-1, 210-pound receiver approaches his job differently than he did as a rookie in 2007.
    He feels that he’s progressed as a route-runner and can better read defenses. Rehabbing also has taught him the value of maintenance. He visits the training room regularly as a preemptive strike.
    “If I had known when I came in what I know now, it would’ve made a big difference,” Davis said of his initial time in the NFL.

2. JSmooth619

JSmooth619 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    Im glad that he has stayed healthy so far, he could be our " Wes Welker type" receiver. Now, if only we could get VJ after his suspension back on board. We would have VJ and M-80 on the outside, Buster in the Slot, pepper in some Gates up the middle, our passing attack would truly be scary for any defense.

3. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    He had better be a "late bloomer"

Seriously. :icon_neutral:

4. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +16
    wish Buster the best of luck.

looking like i'm getting tickets to the preseason game vs the Saints in the dome.

SD is starting to look like LSU-West, and fans on our board are starting to notice and adopting the Chargers as a 2nd team.

Wonder how many feathers I'll ruffle when I show up at the dome in my Hester jersey sitting amongst the 20 or so Saints fans in the lil group of long time season ticket holders taking me to the game. :lol:

5. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    You mean "late bloomer" like Vincent Jackson or most any other successful reciever in the NFL.

6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Booyeah :icon_toast:

The bust on Buster is due to injury, not capability.

He's gonna be getting major love here by the end of September.

7. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    blah blah blah, yeah yeah yeah yeah, great great, looks good, hard worker, yadda yadda. stfu and play when it counts.

8. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Malcom and VJ both had injury issues early on. So hopefuly this will be Busters year to stay healthy and contribute.

9. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    This is a very good point which people fail to consider as they pile on Buster. VJ was injured and a complete non-factor in year 1. He was also oft-injured in year two...although he did play enough to produce a litte. In year 3, he was a little banged up but showed a little more giving us 600 yards...It wasn't until he was in year 4 of his career that he was on the field playing and starting consistently and putting up big numbers.

Buster actually played and produced more as a rookie than Vinny did...but he has been sidelined the last 2 years. This is year 4 for him and he's now pretty familiar with the system and has had to learn to take care of himself from a conditioning standpoint. I bet we see something out of him this year...It may not be huge numbers...but he'll be a contributor rather than non-factor.

Other receivers around the league...like Miles Austin in Dallas...have also taken a while....not every player blows up right away....some players don't stay "injury prone" their entire careers either.

10. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Come on Buster. I don't want to take that "er" off your name. I know you can get it done man. Make us forget about VJ by staying healthy and making plays! I still remember what you did against Green Bay a couple of years ago. I still believe you can do it!

11. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    Come on Buster! Time to be a football player and not a porcelain doll. We believe in you:abq1:

12. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +90
    GOOD NEWS:tup:

I hope this is Busters Year, I really do!

If he has an awesome year...maybe 1000+ yards...what will this mean for Jackson? I mean, its not like he will have alot of negotiating power if the Chargers make the playoffs without him and a true number one reciever is found from the mix!

13. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Buster was damaged goods when the Bolt's picked him. If he is truly healthy now we all may be in for a great time this year. This isn't the first time AJ's taken a chance on a player that was banged up pretty good in college. Some times you win, sometimes you lose. The meter is still running on this ride.

14. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Wouldn't that be great if THIS was the season we FINALLY see the real Buster Davis for the player he is. I mean we went through this with VJ early on like many of you said, waiting for him to really blossom. Don't forget those young tall studs too like Williams and Ajirotutu guy. Those dudes can catch, are tall and can make plays from what I've seen so far. We might just about forget about VJ if these guys pan out. If you have a QB like Rivers, the WR's look better around him.

15. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    I hope Buster can stay healthy this...

[​IMG]