1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Buster Davis hopin he can finally leave injuries behind him

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

By Kevin Acee
    Monday, March 30, 2009

Buster Davis doesn't want to talk about injuries any more.

“I'm feeling healthy,” Davis said. “(Surgery) was the best for me. That's behind me. What I have is in front of me.”

The Chargers would love for that to be true.

About to enter his third season, Davis has thus far, except in flashes, been unable to provide the kind of contribution expected of a first-round draft pick.

Before going on injured reserve in November and undergoing surgery to repair his abdomen and groin, Davis had four catches for 59 yards in 2008. Bothered by the groin and other maladies throughout his rookie season, Davis caught 20 passes for 188 yards. He has appeared in 18 career games.

The 2009 season is essentially seen as make-or-break for Davis in terms of his future with the Chargers.

The future, for him, has started.

“This is a big year for him,” coach Norv Turner said recently. “He needs to have a great offseason.”

To that end, Davis has been working out at the Chargers' facility for two weeks and was there Monday on the first day of the team's organized conditioning drills.

“I'm just bringing the mentality of trying to push myself and do a little more each day,” said Davis, the 30th pick of the 2007 draft. “I'm not 100 percent yet, but I just feel that much better.”

He has never been right in the NFL.

He suffered the groin injury in his final college game. He said he was able to “push through” with the help of the training staff. But by the middle of last season he could hardly sit up in the morning, let alone run and cut.

He acknowledged in addition to the physical pain, the injuries affected his confidence and mentality.

He knows how important this season is, but he balked at the idea he has to perform, or else.

“I'm not putting pressure on myself,” he said. “I know what I'm capable of doing. I'm taking it one day at a time.”

Davis has shown in practice and even with a handful of plays in games that he has breakaway speed that could make him another dangerous threat in the receiving corps.

“The little things I did last year,” he said, “catching short passes and turning them into (big gains), it showed my coaches I still have it. Being healthy, it can only get better.”

2. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    You heard it here first. Buster will have more catches and receiving yards this year than Chambers, Floyd and Legoland.

3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    He is joining the San Jose Sabercats? :icon_eek: :icon_huh:

4. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I don't know guys, I'm kind of feelilng skeptical about Buster. I just think some guys can't handle the "physicality" of the NFL and are just more fragile than others. With Buster, I see a lot of potential and like you said, flashes of his talent. However if you get hurt all the time it doesn't mean much. Kind of like that Cincy RB Kijana Carter who was a stud in college but ALWAYS got hurt and didn't show what he could really do. I hope Buster doesn't turn out like that but so far it ain't looking too good I got to be honest. Stay healthy Buster!!! I still contend we should picked the guy I wanted, Anthony Gonzales, Ohio State.....

5. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

:icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek:

that sounds like a clear statement.

6. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    British Dyslexia Association???:icon_huh:

7. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    “(Surgery) was the best for me. ..." is both a LT should be gett'in this done but I ain't say'in it and yeah i finally got done what i should'a got done earlier.
    i think groin injuries are much more decapacitating than people think. obviously there are degrees of severity, let's hope LT is making the correct decision by not having surgery.
    Bust knows his back is against the wall and i bet was told "get cut, or get cut" by the team.

• Like Like x 1
  8. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Beat me to it.

Let's hope Dean did his due diligence before forking over that contract to LT.

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I've had enough talk from Davis, put up or shut up!

10. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    Groin injuries suck. You take a step it hurts, you run it hurts a lot. Any type of cutting/start/stop hurts like a mfker.

He blows up with another injury in 2009 and he won't be here in 2010.

• Like Like x 1
  11. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
  12. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I took alot of **** on this board for defending VJ while he struggled through his first few years in the league, but Buster concerns me more than VJ did. The thing that bothers me about Buster is that the coaches and the front office have questioned the kid's toughness, questioned his willingness to play through nagging injuries. Now, maybe this groin injury that he suffered at the end of his college career just really affected his psyche, causing him to get frustrated and lose confidence. With that injury behind him, maybe he can regain his college form. He certainly has the skills. It's just a matter of proving that he's physically and mentally tough enough to do the job. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

13. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    He is certainly capable, but Rivers has plenty of Mo-Jo with Chambers for 2009.....if our line holds up and backs stay healthy, we are gonna be tough to slow down and impossible to stop.

I see 40+ catches outa Buster.........he can be a serious weapon for us in the slot.

He will prove the doubters wrong, and AJ right in 2009!!! :abq1::abq2::abq1:

14. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Proof's in the pudding.

• Like Like x 1
  15. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    I predict a big year for him as well.

This is a contract type year for him after all. :icon_eek::icon_toast::abq2:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    I am optimistic he will step up this year.

Year 3 is usually the make or break season. Get it done Buster.

17. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Not good for the Buster Davis'es.....:no:

18. VikingBolt

VikingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +477
    I'm confused. Are there TWO (2) Buster Davis's?

19. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I would normally agree, but I think it is more like year 2 for him right now because of the injuries.

20. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    The proper term is Davi.

21. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I hope he tears it up this season, there have been glimpses of greatness and he certainly has potential. Go Buster Go!

22. timepiece33

timepiece33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25
    Vincent Jackson didn't play much his rookie year, but he averaged almost 17 YPC and had 6 TD's in year 2. When he got his opportunity in 1 game, he displayed potential.

Buster Davis played a lot before they had to acquire Chambers, because he simply wasn't ready to do anything.

BTW, Buster Davis was a 2nd team all SEC punt returner in college who put up average stats despite having the #1 pick overall as his QB. The guy is AJ Smith's Mike Mamula. A kid whose 4.4 speed and fluid motions made people forget that he lacked toughness and has poor ability to adjust to the deep ball over his shoulder.

23. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I think Buster needs more Kegel exercises.

(google it if you must)

• Like Like x 1
  24. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Maybe he & Jay can form a workout group? :lol:

25. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    You say Tomatoes I say Tomati...