1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Buster Davis hurting

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    The Chargers need wins, which means they need players they can rely on.

Buster Davis so far is not one of those players.

The second-year receiver was to have started and played a prominent role Sunday night in place of Chris Chambers. But he determined in pregame warm-ups that he could not play through a groin injury.

“He was sore Friday,” coach Norv Turner said. “He thought he would be all right. . . . A guy is hurt, he's hurt. You can't question that.”

Davis, however, might not be counted on in the future until he shows he can play through the nagging injuries that have plagued him so far. The team's No. 1 draft choice in 2007 came out of college with the reputation for not being able to get over being frequently dinged, and he has so far caught just three passes this season after catching 20 his rookie year.

“Had I known, he wouldn't have been active,” Turner said. “In a similar situation again, he won't be.”

By Kevin Acee

2. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    If Dude wantsta play, he's gotta man up; rub some dirt on it, Bro.

3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Buster Davis is close to being a bust. Rumor has it the the Chargers shopped him around before the trade deadline.

4. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    When he's on the field, I think he does some good things, but those are few and far between. Gotta wonder why Norv went away fro him vs the Jets after his great 1st quarter start. :icon_shrug: :icon_huh:

5. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I wouldn't give up on him in his second year but I wouldn't dismiss shopping him either.

6. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    I feel bad for the guy hope he gets it together...

7. hypermikem

hypermikem BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    It's not about giving up on the guy, for me it's about the guy living up to his 1st round draft spot and proving it wasn't a waste. I mean what kind of ILB could we have gotten for his position? Could we have used that spot to actually have somebody in there that can actually stay on the field? I say yes indeed. As it stands, he hasn't helped us do squat. Now I don't doubt it at all that he has ability when healthy, but there's the rub. When is he EVER healthy enought to help the team get to where it wants to be? The locker room has to whisper behind his back at this point. And this was supposed to be better than Eric PArker? :icon_huh::icon_shrug::no:

8. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Man, some people are all to quick to call guys a bust. He's been here a little over 1 season. Give him some time, geez.

9. hypermikem

hypermikem BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    What? Time? All the dude has had is time. He was drafted in the first round. How much time do you want to give the china doll? He obviously can't stay healthy. He has had just as much opportunity to prove himself as anyone else, and he has so far failed and there's no reason to believe he can be counted on. Until he proves otherwise, how else can you characterize the guy? :icon_shrug:

Our current WR corps is sufficient enough without him anyway. He was drafted to stetch the field and all he has done so far is stretch his vagina. Just think what a stud LB or DE we could have had with his draft position. Something we could actually use. Sorry but potential means exactly crap if you never realize it, or man up and stay on the field. A growing number of people feel this way about the guy and the writing is on the wall. I say BUST. I really hope the guy proves me wrong, but I don't think so.

10. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    People were saying the same things about Jackson for his first couple years. He seems to have paid off, no?

Everyone is so quick to label young guys busts. Hard to make a huge impact on a team as loaded as our is when you're stuck behind at least 2 to 3 guys playing the same position who are far better than he is at this point in his career.

:icon_shrug:

11. hypermikem

hypermikem BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    There's a big difference between Jackson and Davis my friend. That should be obvious. Jackson fought his way through, and at least tried to play through his injuries. Davis is a puzz. He doesn't have the heart or the pain threshhold to play in this league. This was a knock on him in the scouting combine too. Turns out that was spot on. Ability and potential are only part of the equation that makes a successful NFL WR. Durability, and perseverence are two very important ingredients that Davis seems to lack. IMO time does not add these ingredients. Either you have em or you don't.

I don't think that's a quick judgement either. The guy was drafted to make an immediate impact. So to say "some people are quick to label". That's just not accurate. This guy is taking up roster space that could be used for somebody who can help us now. We are not rebuilding after all and there are enough young guys on this team willing to sacrifice and commit to getting better and staying on the field. It is certainly not out of the question or realm of possibility that this guy is indeed a bust. It certainly looks that way to a growing number of people anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  12. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    So far, he sucks. He's on pace to have 11 receptions for 157 yards. That's a step backward from last season. :tdown: He certainly ain't no John Jefferson.

13. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    I guess you missed all the "VJ has injured his vagina again" posts a few years back. Everyone wanted to crucify him then just like they want to crucify Buster now.

Oh well, I said my piece. On with the public flogging.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    I agree with this with one 'but'........

Buster strikes me as a guy who is soft, when I hear that friday the coaches thought he would play sunday and then he pulls himself out sunday, I start to wonder has he the bollix for the game.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I won't label him a bust yet. He's just having a bit of trouble manning up. You have to be able to play through injuries in this league, period.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    He is a first round player who has problems getting on the field. In an interview with Kevin Acee, Kevin said that the team is getting frustrated that they cannot rely on Buster. The way he put it was that Buster had been telling the team he could play Sunday, they counted on him, then at the last minute he couldnt play.

If he starts to get a reputation for unreliable then he will be a bust. That is not posters labeling the guy early, that is a first rounder earning the label.

Buster also had the reputation for being soft coming out of College and has done nothing to dispell that...

17. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

:icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek:

better keep his mouth shut

:icon_sad:

18. montanabolthead

montanabolthead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +30
    Didn't we go through this with Vincent Jackson his first season? Everybody was crying he too was a bust. Now look at him. Buster will prove all the naysayers wrong. There is a whole new level of conditioning between college and the pro's. VJ had to revamp his whole off season conditioning program to meet the demands and Buster will have to do the same.

Don't throw him under the bus just yet!

19. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    but with Chambers,Jackson,Floyd do we need him to be John Jefferson?

20. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Jackson was not a first round pick. For being a first round pick, "BUSTer" should be showing more promise. Other recievers do it in thier first year, or second year, and actually start. "BUSTer" doesn't.

'Nuff said

• Like Like x 1
  21. chargerlipz

Ratings:
    +151
    No, but if he did play like JJ I don't think we would be a game behind the Broncos right now.

• Like Like x 1
  22. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    This would scare me a lot if I were him. I'm not going to call him a bust yet, but he needs to show that he can play through little injuries to get rid of his reputation of being fragile. I love what he does when he's on the field, but if he sits for every little injury he should go the way of Eric Parker.

23. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    I wouldn't call him a bust yet because there are various players that develop later on in their years. The kid has raw talent but we all know "just" talent won't get you anywhere. He'll be a premier reciever in the future garunteed. I remember a certain someone around here giving up on little tank. We all know how he turned out.

24. Chuck F.

Chuck F. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    I think LT needs to have a talk with him about sucking it up and playing hurt.

25. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Smartass!! :icon_tease:

26. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Niether are Chambers of Jackson! :yes:

27. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    It sounds like Buster strained his vagina again.

I dont care how early it is, this kid is a worthless waste of space, I'd rather have seen us keep that roster spot for someone like Lamar Divins.

28. Chuck F.

Chuck F. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    :icon_rofl::abq2::icon_party::flag:

29. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Took the words out of my mouth. I wanted a fat boy. Keeping Lamar Divens and shopping Davis would have made sense. Drafting an interior D Lineman where we got Davis would have been my druthers.

30. chargerlipz

Ratings:
    +151
    Hell yeah, you got that right.