1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Buster's audition?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Kevin Acee
    Saturday, January 2, 2010

Receiver Buster Davis, who has not been active all season, will play tomorrow against the Washington Redskins and could play further in January.

Sources said this week that the foot injury that has kept Legedu Naanee from practicing at least one day each of the past four weeks will likly keep him out of practice during the bye week and it can't be certain he will be healthy for the Chargers' playoff opener. Naanee will not be active against the Redskins, and I was told if tomorrow were a meaningful game, Naanee would not play.

"Buster could have to play a role for us" in the playoffs, one source said.

Davis, the team's first-round draft pick in 2007, has just 24 receptions in the NFL. He spent the final half of 2008 on injured reserve and had major groin surgery.

Nagging injuries limited him rookie season.

He has been healthy all this season but has not been made active as he is stuck behind Naanee, Malcom Floyd and the rest of the Chargers' receivers.

Davis has shown great promise in his brief appearances as a Charger. He is quick and elusive as an underneath receiver. The Chargers could use those talents, especially if Naanee is out.

While many consider this an inconsequential game -- since the Chargers know they have next week off and host a divisional round game Jan. 16 or 17 -- the coaching staff knows better after a season in which so many young players contributed.

"We've been in that situation where someone has had to go in a game," Norv Turner said. "We're going to ask someone in the next month to go play, and people will say,

'He stepped up for you.' I don’t know who it’s going to be, but it will probably be someone who is playing (Sunday) when other people think the game has gotten boring."

2. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    If anyone can use a boost it's Davis and I hope he gets a chance to shine and save his career.

3. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    I am harder on Buster than pretty much anyone, so I will give him his due and acknowledge that he has the potential to be a great receiver in the NFL, both as a deep threat with his speed and as an underneath guy with his agility.

However, I think 5 words dating back from his college career display his enormous potential: he made JaMarcus look good.

• Like Like x 1
  4. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    Come on Buster...get it done. :tup:

5. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    He has had a few catches for us in the past, and it looked like he was 1 crease away from breaking a big one every time he had the ball.

We are all harsh on the guy...but he's got speed you can see, and I'm still kinda hoping he can be something of a Wes Welker to us.

6. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    :abq2: He's gonna get some playing time!!

7. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    I hope he's that hidden gem we would all love to see!

8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Volek to Buster .... whoda thunk it? :lol:

9. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Let's go Buster, time to prove you belong!

10. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    I thought he played pretty good against the 'Skins in the 23-20 victory.

11. paddyirishman

paddyirishman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +60
    He looked pretty good to me last night and really looked up for it. Its a pity that the ball didnt cross the goalline on his last catch, it would have been a fitting end. Lets hope he can build on last night.

12. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Well strategically it was good that it didn't, it allowed us to kill more time before handing the ball over to them. But I know what you mean.

Buster did good enough, theres no reason he shouldn't come back next year, espescially considering we don't have VJack, M80, and Sproles locked up yet.

13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    He was auditioning for Nix. :icon_twisted:

Nah, Buster did good. If he can just stay healthy, he has a place on this squad. His problem isn't lack of talent, but duarability.

14. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Yes. Agreed. And he seems to have grown up and realised what he needs to do to make it now. I was delighted for him last night. His sitting this year must not have been easy for him.

15. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +16
    that he did.

i've said it before on here, i had really high hopes for this kid.
    dude was a BIG part of our team for a couple years.

was always a bigger fan of him than I was Dwayne Bowe.
    Him and early Doucet always seemed so much more reliable than Bowe.