1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Busy night for Davis is a good one

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Jay Jay Maniquis
    Posted Aug 16, 2009
    Chargers.com

Wide receiver Buster Davis caught three passes Saturday night, including a 41-yard reception, and handled the return game for the first half. The Chargers’ preseason opener proved to be a nice starting point for the former first-round pick.

Chargers Head Coach Norv Turner knows what Buster Davis[​IMG] is capable of every time he’s on the field, and a healthy, well-prepared Davis showed Chargers in the team’s preseason opener against the Seahawks.

The Chargers’ 2007 first-round draft pick returned kicks and punts Saturday night and recorded three receptions on 64 yards receiving, including a 41-yard bomb from Charlie Whitehurst[​IMG] early in the third quarter.

“Buster has that gear,” Chargers head coach Norv Turner said. “All you have to do is look at our Jets game from last year, he has that gear. I’m pleased he’s healthy. He had a good week of practice. I hope he comes out of this game healthy and can continue to practice.”

Davis ended the 2008 season, his second in the NFL, on injured reserve and spent a long offseason rehabbing his surgically-repaired groin. Saturday was his first game action since the Chargers’ Week 5 contest at Miami early last October.

“It feels good to get out there and get into some real live action since last September,” Davis said. “It feels good to get back out there and make plays.”

Although Davis has a few receivers in front of him in the depth chart, he understands that he plays a certain role and is willing to contribute in any way possible.

“I know that it’s very hard to be the third, fourth or fifth receiver and have 100-yard games,” Davis said. “I’m just here to be another added piece to the puzzle.”

In addition to his big plays in the passing game, Davis returned two kickoffs for 48 yards and returned three punts for 19 yards. His longest return of the night came on the opening kickoff which he returned 27 yards to the Chargers 31-yard line.

“It felt good to return kickoffs and punts again,” Davis said. “I know once the season starts, that’s Darren (Sproles)’s role. He’s a Pro Bowl-caliber returner. I know that his role is going to increase in the running game. There will be times when he needs a breather and it’ll be my job to get back there and be explosive just like he is.”

Davis took some big shots against the Seahawks, particularly in the return game, but he felt healthy afterwards and is ready to go back to work and continue what’s been a strong training camp.

“I’m just trying to go out and show my critics that I can do what is expected of me and what the Chargers brought me here to do,” Davis said. “Whatever Coach Turner and Coach (Clarence) Shelmon ask me to do I will do it to the best of my ability. Tonight was fun, but we’ve got to build on it.”

2. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    :icon_eek::icon_eek:

3. BOLT POWER

BOLT POWER Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +13
    It's good to see Buster in a game and doing something:icon_toast:

4. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Cut Criag

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    he was at least partially responsible for one of Whitehurst's interceptions when he didn't run his route correctly

6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    this

When I saw him returning kickoffs and punts at the beginning of the game I told my wife "looks like they're trying to find a reason not to cut Buster".

• Like Like x 2
  7. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    A yet-to-prove-himself former first round pick in his third year, giving up his route and allowing an interception? He looked dumbfounded. If this guy were an udfa his *** would be cut already.

EDIT: sorry, meant to say "yet to prove ANYTHING"

8. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    yeah, I'd go with this scenario..... but, I can see why they don't want Sproles returning kicks now that he's going to be more of a main player. Also, I didn't get any big "wow" from Davis's returns.

9. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Well, at least he accepts the fact he's being considered one!

:lol:

Davis out to prove that he's not a bust

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/aug/17/1s17sullivan00198-davis-out-prove-hes-not-bust/?padres

Buster Davis bears a chip on his shoulder pads that he is disinclined to dislodge.

The Chargers' former first-round draft choice is aware of the word on the street, and he finds fuel in it. He is motivated by the perception that he is less than was once advertised – a disappointment dangerously close to being classified as a bust.

“Not that it's any pressure, but for me, I just take it personal what the critics are saying,” Davis said Saturday night. “I wanted to make a statement, try to come back and make big plays.”

This was a few minutes after the Chargers' 20-14 preseason loss to the Seattle Seahawks, a few minutes after Davis had reasserted himself as a receiver, a kick returner and, perhaps, as a talent to be cultivated rather than cut.

He caught three passes for 64 yards against the Seahawks, and advanced the ball an additional 67 yards on kick returns. On this night, for the first time in a long time, Buster Davis was about production instead of potential. Among the statements he made was a reminder to reserve judgment about young players pending further review.

Davis is not going to make the Pro Bowl by hauling in a 41-yard heave against a bunch of backups in the third quarter of an opening exhibition game. Yet having missed most of last season because of a groin injury that would ultimately require surgery, Davis was pleased simply to be sufficiently recovered for competition and determined to keep that chip on his shoulder “until February,” or through the Super Bowl.

He sounded like a young man of purpose, and he played with a gear some of us weren't sure he had.

Should he ever attain optimum health, Buster Davis may yet prove to be a handful.

“He's a very, very talented person and I think he knows that as well as this team (does),” Chargers tight end Antonio Gates said. “I think with the right opportunity in the right situation, he will have a chance to display that. Today, he was able to display his ability to run down the field and make catches in traffic. That's just something that we know he can do . . .

“When you see glimpses like what you saw (against Seattle), you know that he's a special player.”

The fifth of six wide receivers selected in the first round of the 2007 draft, Davis was seen from the start as a curious choice. Dwayne Bowe, who was off the board by the time the Chargers made their selection, had outshone Davis at LSU the preceding season, and has caught 156 passes for 2,017 yards in two years with the Kansas City Chiefs. As a second-team All-SEC selection, Davis struck many as a medium-sized, unspectacular-speed consolation prize.

Some of the more provincial Chargers fans questioned the team's decision to pick Davis over USC's prolific Dwayne Jarrett. Fans being fans, the familiar sometimes seems more appealing than the foreign.

Jarrett, it turns out, is the only receiver taken in the first two rounds that year who has underperformed Buster Davis in terms of both total receptions and yardage. Among the 17 receivers selected among the first 100 picks that year, Davis ranks 11th in both total receptions (24) and yardage (247).

Hindsight says a better choice might have been Ohio State's Anthony Gonzalez or South Carolina's Sidney Rice or, indeed, a player at some other position. Caution says that the Chargers may not have seen the best of Buster Davis quite yet.

“Absolutely not,” he said.

Davis' contributions were so slight as a rookie that the Chargers were moved to make a mid-season trade for the immediate impact of Chris Chambers. Last year, former free agent Malcom Floyd emerged as a jumbo-sized downfield threat. As a result, Davis began his third professional training camp No. 3 on the depth chart. He will need to make some big preseason plays simply to get on the field come September.

“There were times when I really got down on myself, watching my teammates going to Pittsburgh and playing in the snow and I'm sitting home,” Davis said. “But I've got my confidence going (again).

“I'm just trying to come back out and show these fans what I can do, what they brought me here to do. I'm another piece of this puzzle. Whatever they ask me to do, I'm here to do it and do it to the best of my ability.”

Testing a tender thumb as he spoke, and acknowledging that some of his muscle groups still need post-surgical strengthening, Davis nonetheless declared himself to be problem-free.

“I'm always 100 percent in my mind,” he said.