1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

By the numbers: How good can the Raider rushing game be?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Deb, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Deb

Deb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +255
    By the numbers: How good can the Raider rushing game be?

You don’t have to be a fan to admire the heck out of what the Oakland Raiders have cooking in the running game for 2008. Seeming rookie of the year shoo-in Darren McFadden (that sound, incidentally, is No. 20 steadily moving up fantasy draft boards across the country) and No. 3 option Michael Bush ran at will last weekend in the Titans game, putting in performances equaling over 5.0 yards per carry. That chased a preseason-opening show which had McFadden totaling an even 4.0 yards per attempt and Justin Fargas (five carries, 25 yards) looking like he hadn’t missed a step from his breakout year of 2007.

Though the verdict is still (still!) out on future leader JaMarcus Russell, the truth is the Russell-McFadden combo already looks as slick as though these guys have been playing together since high school. And while it’s still (way) premature to even get fuzzy reception in the crystal ball on the fortunes of this year’s Raiders, the early running-at-will success of the silver and black bodes great things for ground-first Oakland.

How good can the team's running game get? The following represents a few statistical yardsticks by which we’ll certainly be measuring the NFL’s potential top threesome at halfback in 2008 come the final whistle.

• 2,086. This represents the total yardage amassed by the Raiders in rushing last season; with Fargas leading the way with 1,009 (an ultra-convenient measuring stick in itself, eh?), Oakland chose to run an eyebrow-raising 53 percent of the time. Moving the ball on the ground on 508 of 959 plays from scrimmage (not including punts) despite usually trailing is a trend that figures to stay in what Anthony Carroll recently dubbed “ Kiffin’s not-so-exciting ‘O’"][Lane] Kiffin’s not-so-exciting ‘O’” in 2008. Last year’s numbers gave the Raiders the fourth-most rushing attempts and sixth-most yardage in the NFL; with McFadden looking as good as advertised, reckon the league’s best 1-2-3 combo to give Oakland a top-three running game this season.

• 1,759. Back in 1985, Marcus Allen set the gold standard for Raider running backs in garnering just under 4.63 (!) yards per carry while toting the rock 380 times. While today’s en vogue rotation system pretty much guarantees no one except LaDainian Tomlinson and Adrian Peterson will approach this number of attempts in 2008, the McFadden/Fargas combo pumping up last season’s 4.1 yards per carry to resemble something more akin to Marcus’ mark hardly seems impossible. (Incidentally, such an average would fatten the Oakland rushing game to just over 2,350 yards on the season, or 147 per week, based on last year’s game plan: This would have been good enough for No. 3 in the league in 2007, chasing the similarly run-obsessed Minnesota Vikings and Jacksonville Jaguars.)

• 14 and 31.5. More important than Allen’s yardage mark in 1985, however, was his scoring; on 441 total touches that year, Allen notched 14 TDs, good for one six-pointer every 31.5 plays. Oakland’s three-headed monster of Fargas, LaMont Jordan and Dominic Rhodes put the ball in the end zone just eight times (and not once through the air) on over 500 carries plus receptions for a woeful ratio of one TD per 62.5 touches. Can doubling the team’s scoring efficiency turn a 4-12 club into a 12-4 Super Bowl contender? You bet.

• 1,025 (in 14 games). Forget Allen and his franchise records for just a moment. Truth is, Raider management would probably be thrilled if McFadden could just top this number, the most yards totaled by an Oakland back in this decade, believe it or not. Said standard was established in 2005 by Jordan, a guy who based on the preseason could be looking at a comeback player of the year nomination with the New England Patriots. Could McFadden average a measly 3.8 yards per carry while not even playing out the string in 2008? Reckon it’s more than possible from a rookie who sported an insane 5.63 yards per carry with the Arkansas Razorbacks and playing behind blocking that’s got to be better than that of the 2005 Raiders.

• 1,014. Speaking again of Allen, this is the yardage the man ran up in his sophomore year, his first as a starter. This was back in the Super Bowl-winning season of 1983. Just saying ...

realfootball365.com

2. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    I got another set of numbers:

6-10

That's the Raiders' record at best this season. :yes:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    All of this was based on preseason performances against the Titans and 'Niners which is not a good indication of how the Raiders will fare against powerhouse defenses like ours and New England's. Take a loook at their schedule and it's clear the Raiders will be facing some formidable defenses. The most important thing is winning which I think the Raiders won't do to much of this year. Here's some Oakland numbers: 6-10.

4. Aggieman

Ratings:
    +194
    Hey! Slug posted seconds before me and said the same thing -neat.

5. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Not good enough.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Remember the defense teams played against us for most of the first half before we got Chambers last year? It's going to be that defense X 5 for the Raiders.

No-brainer. Stack the box and fill all run-gaps, bring a strong safety into the box, and force the QB to beat you. If it's not a run you will get serious penetration because of the loaded box. The Raiders receiver are going to have to fight through a crap-load of press coverage because defenses will know that their offensive line is complete crap when it comes to pass blocking and that J-Russ isn't going to be getting 4 or 5 seconds to throw. Any team with a decent defense is going to fully dedicate themselves to choking the Raiders' running game and expose their weaknesses in the passing game.

We struggled like crazy at times against that philosophy, and our offense is worlds more advanced than the Raiders. It's going to get ugly in Oakland this year... again.

3-13 for the Raiders. Weak offensive line. Weak defensive line. Overall weak in the trenches. Young, inexperienced quarterback. Zero depth (and you know they'll have injuries.) A head coach that has one foot out the door. That is not a good combination.

7. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942

.....More like bust of the draft shoo-in.

8. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    A lot of it will depend on how well their D plays. If their D can't keep games close, they will have to pass too much to catch up.

If it is like the D of two years ago, they could rush for a ton of yards and flirt with a .500 record.

If it is like the D of last year, they won't be in games long enoug to keep feeding the ball to the RB's

9. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Raiderfan always gets so worked up based on preseason performances.

"OMG WE'RE 4-0!!!! SUPER BOWL BABY!!!"

Then the regular season starts and reality set in.

"I wonder who we're gonna get with the #1 pick this year...."

10. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    Because of their bad standings in the last years the Oakland Raiders made some aquirements trough draft and free agenties. But they didn't fit together well. As long as their running game don't show up the opponents won't put everything in the box like Chicago did in last years opener vs. the BOLTS.
    With Denver and KC early against the rivals we will quickly see what's his black hole and dirty silver - team all about.
    Despite a surprise in one of the first 8 games Oakland will
    win only against Carolina, Miami, Houston and maybe KC or Tampa Bay so 5 - 11 will be a possible Raider's finish.

11. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    :yes:

Was just about to say it.

12. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Answer: as good as it was last year, which was bad......:no: McFadden has potential, but with no o-line, no yardage.

Thunderstruck hit the nail on the head:

13. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072

Its the same situation Barry Sanders was in up in Detriot.

A lot of 3 yard losses, and who knows what else.

14. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Let's see how McFadden does once the real season starts.

15. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I'd have propped if I could. Without a line on either side of the ball, the good defenses will control the line of scrimmage and the good offenses will run on them. In our case, our secondary will match up with a Javon Walker who is less than 100% and a cast of journeymen, so we can press and man up. With their O Line the way it is, they'll have to keep the TE and at least one back in for blocking on passing plays if we stack the box. We can cross them up on passing plays by dropping the up safety off at the last second. McFadden might make a 1,000 yds. his first season and even if Fargas comes close to it, it won't make a big difference from last year. Even a best case for them involves NO injuries to anyone on either line or to any one of their RB's.

16. sdbound

Ratings:
    +942
    Raiders Get Blanked, Lose Two Potential Starters For Season

Bad night all around for the Oakland Raiders. Not only did they get shutout by the Arizona Cardinals (never a good thing) 24-0, they also lost wide receiver Drew Carter and starting fullback Oren O'Neal , likely for the entire 2008 season, in the first four plays of the game.

O'neal went down on the opening kickoff and Carter soon followed on the third play from scrimmage. Both players suffered knee injuries.

Carter is coming off a season where he only caught 31 passes in Carolina, but the loss is big because he was expected to start, and as David White at the San Francisco Chronicle writes, he was one of the only receivers to really connect with Jamarcus Russell in camp.

Still, worse yet, the injury to carter now opens up the door for Javon Walker to be pretty much guaranteed a starting job, by default, even though he hasn't really done anything. And for the low, low price of $55 million!

Though, to be fair, he did catch four passes last night for 60 yards. So, it's a start.
    Making matters worse for the passing game, I'm sure, is the fact Head Coach Lane Kiffin was more than a little annoyed at the Raiders' attempts at pass protection.

"We weren't very good in our pass protection," Kiffin said. "It looked like Kwame struggled a lot. We missed probably at least four blitzes ... so I'm very discouraged. It kind of reminds me of who we are." :lol:

It's becoming clear that Darren McFadden and Justin Fargas are going to have run for 4,000 yards for the Raiders to have a shot.

17. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373

If they start running now they could be somewhere near Pittsburgh by the time the season starts...and far, far away from the silver and barf.

:lol:

18. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    One foot out the door I'm telling you. And anyone who thinks a team can play effective football when their head coach is THAT discouraged needs to check himself. Again... no depth, weakl offensive line, weak defensive line...

Come on... football fans KNOW this. It's as fundamental as laying a foundation before you build a house. I don't get why there are so many fans--including some Chargers fans--who are SO convinced the Raiders upgraded themselves so much this offseason. THINK about it.

The one area of the Raiders that was pretty strong on offense last year was running-back. So what do they do? They draft a RUNNING BACK with their top-5 pick. The one area of the defense where the Raiders have some top-notch talent and play pretty well is at cornerback, so what do they do? They not only draft a corner with their second draft pick, but they spend millions to trade for Hall. They have huge weaknesses at o-line. How many o-linemen do they draft?

Zero. All they did was bring in Kwame Harris who is KNOWN to be an underachiever.

Their front-seven was below average and they lost one of the key pieces. How many d-linemen or linebackers do they draft? One, in the sixth round.

Come on people. We're seeing the Raiders making the same dumb-*** mistakes they've been making for the last 25 years, with the exception of one successful stint under Gruden. Raider fans fall for it every year, but I don't understand why Chargers fans fall for it.

• Like Like x 1
  19. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    Werd!

20. Aggieman

Ratings:
    +194
    Yeah, I'm done standing up for the turds. What was I thinking? DeMarcus Russell is no bust but he won't be productive if the O-line sucks and neither will future #1 Running back (for another team...mark my words) Darren McFadden. Turds and KC got shut out in games they played to win. Herman Edwards and Kiffen even said they treated this one like regular season game. If this is how they play regular season, they're already done. Kiffen shoud shut the hell up because nobody wants him to coach next year but the Faiders would reconsider if they can't find somebody better.
    Again :turdspuke:

21. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    I still think they will win seven or eight. Their schedule isn't a killer, they did add some talent, and I think they were better than their win total last season.

Of course, I'd be thrilled to be wrong and watch them stumble through another four win season. :yes:

22. sdbound

Ratings:
    +942

Care to make a wager?

23. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    No, not at all. I have no faith in their ability to do what I think they might be capable of. And there is NO WAY in hell that I want to put myself in any kind of position where I might actually root for them to win. :no:

24. sdbound

Ratings:
    +942
    Coward, I double dog dare you.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    That would work if I was John Beck (my friend who can be talked into any wager by calling him a *****).

• Like Like x 1
  26. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I don't see them winning more than six games at the most, whether or not McFadden and Fargas click. Russell may not finish the season before he carted off the field and into the OR courtesy of his line.

• Like Like x 1
  27. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    I call injuries to the following: Russell, Mcfadden, Javon walker and one of there unknown o-liners. Record 5-11. I say the nfl relocates them in 2013 :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  28. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172

That last line says it all, straight from the horse's (in this case the HC) mouth.

29. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Kiffin is a good coach and once he and Al break-up I think he'll be a winner somewhere.

30. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    I agree; til then, he's doomed, poor sum*****.