1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

BYE BYE

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Bolts4lyfe, May 7, 2012.

1. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    So much for wondering who would be the odd linebacker out in the battle for outside linebackers. The San Diego Chargers released Travis LaBoy today (Howard Balzer).

If you have been following this site for a while, you know that I was not a LaGirl fan in the first place! He always seemed to be the last player to the pile and never could set that edge that we needed. I remember at one point in the season, he had less tackles than Mike Tolbert. He finished the season with less sacks than Larry English and Larry Boy only played in 5 games!

The Chargers signed Jarret Johnson in the offseason and he will be the new starting outside linebacker. We also added Melvin Ingram with the first round pick in the draft. Larry English is supposed to be healthy and we also have Antwan Barnes and Shaun Phillips on the roster.
    There just was not any room for Travis out here. By releasing LaBoy, the Chargers save $1.5 million.

2. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    OK........ I wasn't prepared for this.

Let me take a moment to collect my thoughts........

:tup:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Are they going to use that money to sign Florence?........ just a thought. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    Would make sense, I have a feeling they'll use it for bringing in another player RB, DB or NT.

Not sure what our cap number is but I'm thinking with the release of Laboy it puts us @ 4 million still

5. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    That's more than I thought..... would be nice if accurate.

6. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    Im probably inaccurate but I could have sworn we were @ 6 when we signed Castillo

7. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +271
    after signing our rookies i dont think were gonna have too much left on the cap though

8. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    Someone just asked Micheal Gehlken if we should cut Jammer and use his 4 million to sign Florence and Hightower

MG replied we have enough salary cap to sign more depth without cutting anybody

9. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    That's good to hear....... not the cut Jammer part. ;)

10. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    That just makes the release of Laboy that much sweeter, It shows they saw what we did and it wasn't a financial decision

11. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +271
    im sure it was partially financial too though... with the olb depth we have this year we dont need his services at all so might as well take that 1.5 mill of cap room and give us some depth in other areas that we need it

12. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    It's not like I have any hate towards the guy but we are clearly a better team for releasing him and through acquiring Ingram/Johnson

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    I don't hate him personally.......... I just hate him as a football player. ;)

14. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,378
    Well that would certainly temper my current excitement at seeing LadyBoy given the arse.

Another useless FA bust, but at least the FO have cut their loses on this one after only one season.

15. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    Nice of the Chargers to give him plenty of time to catch on with another team (Hello Indy), and not wasting training camp snaps on a dude who will not make this team.

16. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
  17. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Addition by subtraction

To be fair, LaBoy was certainly asked to do more than originally intended, largely due to injuries.

I just think he was a BS acquisition from the start.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    I agree wasn't a good signing to begin with especially considering The Bengals got Manny Lawson for @ the same deal