1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Bye week at 3-3: revised expectations?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by MasterOfPuppets, Oct 15, 2007.

1. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    Before the season started most expected 13-3, 14-2 or something similar and a superbowl win from this team, after a 1-3 start some said 4-12,5-11...

Now at 3-3, what's your expectation?

Mine is 7-3 to finish the season, that makes them 10-6 and probably good enough to win the division and be the 4th seed, hopefully a wildcard win at home (Ravens, Jags, Titans ?) and a loss to the eventual superbowl champs patriots in Foxboro :icon_sad:

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    I don't know what to expect and I say that honestly

3. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Complain about Ted Cottrell all you want, but the Bolts defense has given up only 26 points to division rivals so far this year. 16 points to KC, 3 points to Denver, 7 points to Oakland.

That's less than 9 points per game.

I'm thinking the Bolts might go 11-5 and still win the division.

4. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Word... we will continue to improve? Will our play level off? Will we digress? :icon_shrug:

The way this season can started I think all predictions and prophesising is for naught.

All I know is this is the first week of a brand new 10 game season. :yes:

5. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    I called my shot before the season started, and I will stand by it. You can search my past posts if you're interested.

Also, this worship of the Pats is funny.

Remember the invincible Rams? The invincible Vikings of a few years ago? The invincible Chiefs a couple years back? The invincible Colts that the Burner... well, burned?

The Pats are likely the best team right now... but the football ain't round and it takes weird bounces. The best team doesn't always win the big show.

6. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Honestly I'm getting a bit sick of the Brady/Moss love lately. Half of Sportscenter was dedicated to them .. I want them to fall and fall now!

7. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    I hate to say it, but the way they are playing now, it will probably take a cheap shot to Tom Brady's knees to ruin the Pats. They don't even have a power running game established yet!

They do look invincible otherwise, ripping off 34+ points on everyone they play, and have won by 20+ nearly every game.

After just 6 games, Tom Brady has 1771 yards passing, 72% completion, 21 TD, 2 INT.

That extrapolates to 4722 yards passing, 72% completion, 56 TD, 6 INT.

8. Buttmunch

Buttmunch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    ALTHOUGH.......keep in mind that Cottrell is still reacting to what the offense is giving them instead of the other way around. Remember during one of his first interviews after the 2nd game of the year, he pretty much said we were waiting to see what the offense was going to try and do. Take the two series where the Turds went for it on 4th down. Watch the Bolts on 1st, 2nd and 3rd down and then compare that to the defense being called on the field on 4th? I went back and replayed this and sure enough, we let off the blitz and allowed Culpepper time to find the open receiver. As good as our DB's played, we can't expect them to cover forever.

I hope someone on the D brings this up to Cottrell, or the tape speaks for itself when they review it. That's the one thing about Wade that I miss. Even Randy Cross brought it up. With the talent we have, we need to instill our will on opposing offenses. If we get burned on one play then so be it, but don't go from pouncing on them like a lion for most of the game to playing like a *****....cat on crucial downs. Stay true to our style of defense damnit.

I say 10-6 as well. I'm expecting the turds to possibly beat KC next week at home, and for us to play like we should have the first game and beat KC at their house. I don't see the division being an issue, I care about the damn playoffs (i.e. can we correct the issues we've seen thus far in time).

9. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I agree that many things can happen and the pats can lose (maybe a Moss meltdown, a Brady injury, the veteran LB corp getting injured/tired) but as of right now, no matter how much we hate them, they look invincible

BTW, I was more interested to know what you expected of the Chargers this season, what would be an "acceptable" season after a 1-3 start?

10. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    It's difficult for me to say that anything about the Pats is funny right now. Don't get me wrong, I fvcking hate the Pats, probably moreso that the Raiders right now. But this team is scary. 6-0 not just as far as the record is concerned, but also against considerable point spreads. Thinking about this team does not make me laugh or smile. :no:

11. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    10-6 or even 11-5 is still a very good possibility.

We've still got Denver @ home, KC and Oak on the road to deal w/, of those 3 the only one that worries me is KC in december.

The teams left on our schedule that scare me are Indy @ home, Balt. @ home, and the Jags on the road. The rest we should be able to handle easily if we just do what we've been doing the past 2 weeks.

12. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I expect to finish at 11-5.

13. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    As great as they have been :)puke:) I don't think the Pats will go undefeated, it's just too difficult int today's NFL. Someone will beat them, and then the blueprint will be established. Just like when we beat the Colts 2 years ago @ home. Our win set up Pitt to beat them in the playoffs.

14. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    The next team that has the best shot of beating them is the matchup versus the Colts in the RCA Dome on October 28.

Since Charlie Weis left New England, the Pats haven't beaten the Colts, regardless of where they played.

15. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I said 12-4 and I am still on that wagon.

16. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    That was my guess too but I can't say whether its right or wrong til after the Indy game

17. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    At this point I don't want the Pats to loose in the regular season. :no: I want them to go 17-0 and get blasted by the bolts in the AFC Championship game. :yes:

And if the Pats go undefeated and win the Super Bowl at least these azzh0les will have to stop throwing their "we're the greatest team ever so lets have an annual circle jerk party."

18. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Totally agree. In fact, I can't remember the last time the best team over the first half of the season won the Super Bowl. I don't want to crown their ***. :lol:

19. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,929
    No, the PATS will do it along with the Dolphins, that makes it equally as annoying.

And that'd be the ideal season to me, and if that happened idc if we go 9-7 and win hte division.

20. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    My expectation is one more loss to a non-division opponent, finishing 12-4.

My gut tells me I am delusional, though. :unsure:

21. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Let us not forget, Cottrell team gave up less points then Wades team to the Pats.:icon_banana:

22. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    What I don't like is the fact that the Donks & Turds will be in the position to be spoilers the last 2 games of the year. A lot different spoiling a divisional teams chances and playing loose and pulling plays from up your sleeves then playing for a spot yourself.

Those have the makings of nasty games for us.

23. LinksterAC

LinksterAC BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    How about the invincible Chargers last year?

You're 100% correct about the Pat worship. It's premature. The '98 Vikings were just as terrifying. The 2004 Steelers were steamrolling people on their way to a 15-1 record (including the eventual Super Bowl Champion Patriots).

Let me ask you guys this. Do you think the Patriots would have their way again with the Charger team you've seen the past two weeks? Sure, maybe they'd win. But 38-14?

Probably not. And that's just a change over the course of a month. How might these two teams look in four months?

That being said, the Patriots are awesome and probably a notch above even the rampaging Colts. But the season is long and the Pats have only had their first legitimate "test" in the Cowboys (who also happened to give up a bajillion points to the Giants).

24. Buttmunch

Buttmunch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    Is that the same thing as saying, my poop stinks less than his? :icon_shrug: Aren't you still talking about laying a big turd on the field.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Me too.

26. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    My opinion on the remaining Schedule based on the last two weeks of play:

10/28 Huston @; Win.
    11/14 @ Minnesota; Win
    11/11 Indianapolis @; My heart says win, my head says loss
    11/18 @ Jacksonville; Win
    11/25 Baltimore @; Win, this is not the same team we played last year.
    12/2 @ Kansas City; Win, revenge!
    12/9 @ Tennessee; Win in a tough game
    12/16 Detroit @; A trap game, Loss
    12//24 Denver @; Monday night win!
    12/30 @ Oakland, Win

12-4, most likely 11-5

27. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    I expect to finish at 13-3 :tup:

and if we lose a game than I expect to finish at 12- 4 :yes:

But than again I'm a homer [​IMG] :bolt:

28. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    I think we'll beat Detroit but lose @ Jacksonville.