1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Bye Week Improvements

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltsnow, Nov 4, 2008.

1. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Other then the defensive schemes, what do you all think is our biggest need for improvement?

The one area that I think would help us stomp opponents out is our red zone offense. We too many times end up going for 3 instead of punching it in. With the WR we have (because of size) there is no reason why we can't and shouldn't be putting more 7 points up.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Yep.

However, it's hard to complain when you have the #1 scoring offense in the league.

I'd like to see us improve in the penalties dept. and the defensive player knocking off the stupid celebrations after every single play they don't make.

FOCUS + EXECUTION + INTENSITY

3. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Yes, but had we been better in that red zone our record would be a lot different then what it is now and we would be in first place. But then again........my sig wouldn't have that lovely red banner across it either.

4. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Maybe, but probably not. Defense was killing us either way, and it's sad when an offense needs to score a TD on every single drive to stay competitive.

I think we're gonna see a marked improvement in scheme, playcalling, execution, and intensity on Sunday.

:tup:

5. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Sticking to the offense... RUSHING. 24th in overall rushing offense, 26th in att/game? That ain't gonna cut it down the stretch. We're seeing the effects of not having that bruising RB available. We were all excited about Tolbert in the pre-season and the potential of Hester, but neither has been able to pick up the slack.

Last year we all wanted to see Rivers break out. Now with teams having to worry about the passing game, we need the line to open holes and loosen things up even more.

I think it happens against the Chiefs. (big bold prediction, eh?) :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  6. 400HZ

400HZ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    Gates and LT getting closer to 100% should be a huge boost to our red zone efficiency. Defensively, maybe I'm homering out here, but I think we're going to be born again. Players are actually going to buy in and start making plays. We'll finally see a hardnosed, disclipined unit out there for once this year.

7. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Regardless.......All I have to say is :tup::flag::tup: to your sig!!!

8. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    I would have to give a pass to the rushing since LT was hurt. But hurt or not, I hated it everytime I saw him run into the back of one of his linemen. Sorry LT, you ain't going nowhere doing that! It was so frustrating seeing the ball lined up on the left side hash mark and he would continuously run into his own players with the whole right side wide open. Guess you can't say LT doesn't stick to the play!:lol:

9. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I don't give it a "pass" at all. Jacob Hester was supposed to pick up some slack. Sproles, too. But neither has made an impact on the running game, and Hester has been a flat out BUST to this point. Maybe Norv is going Idiot Savant on us again. Maybe this all comes together down the stretch like last year. It better... or else we're done. You must run the ball to win in the playoffs.

10. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    My bookmaker has us 8/15 to win the West now, Donkeys are 11/8.

Let's hope the bookies are right again!. :tup:

We are still 16/1 to win it all.

11. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Our red zone offense needs a kick in the backsides, no doubt about it. With all the injuries we started the season out with, it's hard to believe we won 3.

12. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    :tup: :icon_toast:

13. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Not that Sproles has been givan all that many chances but his average is 4.9 per carry where as LT is 3.9. Hester is only going to get in if LT is out and by the looks of things, LT isn't giving them any reason to take him out. Granted, I thought Hester wass suppose to be used for either short yardage or goal line and I think all I've personally seen him was once and that ended up a fumble.

14. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    That's what I mean... Norv needs to get this thing rolling down the stretch. The bye week comes at the perfect time. The current division leader just lost two of their running backs, they play on a short week... could very well lose to the browns on Thurs night. Norv needs to come out this week, run the ball down KCs throat. Control the clock, make the O-line happy by letting 'em tee off, and give every team left on the schedule something MAJOR to worry about... THE RUNNING GAME. :bolt:

15. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Well ok then........sounds good to me! :tup:

16. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    Better preparation is a key to me.

This team is built to play with a lead. The Jets and Pats games are perfect examples of this. Slow starts that have resulted in double digit deficits have sunk us in far too many games. Just about every game this year we were the inferior team in the first half and the superior one in the second half.

17. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    The only 2 games that will worry me are @Pitts & @Tampa. Seems like we do ok with home cooking and those cross country games kill us. They definitely have to change this in the future that teams traveling from west to east that the games start at 4pm. Although that does take away from home field advantage.

18. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Only things i want to see besides a more aggressive scheme on defense....
    SOMEONE ****ING TACKLE SOMEONE!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    He is 8 games into his rookie season and is the 3rd/4th option at RB. He has played well on special teams.

Give the dude a break man.

I would like to see him out there more, but just because he's not getting pt, don't label him a bust yet.