1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Byrd making remarkable recovery from accident

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

BREAKING SPORTS NEWS: Byrd making remarkable recovery from accident

LSU Sports Information • April 30, 2009

Former LSU wide receiver Demetrius Byrd continues to recover from injuries suffered in a car wreck nearly two weeks ago in Miami.

Byrd, who remains hospitalized in Miami, continues to make progress and as of Thursday morning he was up walking around his room and eating on his own. Byrd is expected to start therapy by the end of the week.

Doctor’s say that Byrd is progressing much faster than they had expected and they expect a full recovery.

Byrd is also aware that he was drafted by the San Diego Chargers in last weekend’s NFL Draft

http://www.theadvertiser.com/article/20090430/SPORTS/90430039

2. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I find it oddly reassuring that one of our draft choices can finally feed himself. Hopefully he'll be able to remember the fight song by training camp.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    Good news.

We keep him on injured and let him heal. That way we don't have to use a roster spot and keep a potential good receiver on our team.

• Like Like x 1
  4. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    For all the sentimental bullshiit that AJ spewed about the drafting of this kid... he would not have pulled the trigger if the outlook was not positive on him.

They knew he was going to make a full recovery.

There will be a short ceremonial welcome... and then it will be time for Byrd to prove he is worthy of the opportunity. As it stands, he's not that far behind Buster in terms of NFL production. So there's hope.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    ESPN made it sound like he has bumps and bruises. I had no idea he was this hurt.
    Two weeks later, sitting in hospital is not reassuring in the long run...

6. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    man, that's heartless :lol:

• Like Like x 2
  7. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    The fact that they had to state that he was aware he was drafted does not seem reassuring. There seems to be alot of myserty surrounding exactly what is wrong with this kid.

8. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    He got cut up pretty bad. He crashed his car into a pole after a tire blow out going to pick his mother up from church. He will be just fine.

Certainly there is no need to launch the black chopper!

9. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    He DID have 'bumps and bruises'... And a concussion!

10. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    There certainly is!

Uhh... what's 'myserty'? :icon_shrug:

11. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    I had heard the Doctors told him was drafted by the Raiders and he passed out for another day!!

• Like Like x 2
  12. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    :no:

:yes:

:lol:

13. MONDO.

MONDO. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Don't know too much about this kid but I am sure that being drafted while hurt has to be an awesome motivator for him to get better get on the field and shoot past buster like a rocket...

That makes what 3 guys from the same LSU team on the offense that has to be pretty helpful for these guys... maybe they can have a study group and do flashcards to learn the offense.

14. MONDO.

MONDO. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +36
    It's a great thing; now momma byrd doesn't have chew his food for him and spit up into his bumped and bruised beak.

15. CajunlostinCali

Ratings:
    +6
    Cute.

All three of them contributed towards earning a national championship. Perhaps in your mind, flash cards is what got them there...

16. MONDO.

MONDO. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Honestly I am stoked to have them on the team; I like LSU just don't follow college football too much... With respects to the national championship they contributed something hopefully they can do the same on our quest for a ring.

17. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +16
    Pssst....Buster Davis was in a Chargers uni when we won the National Title. Him and Byrd never played together.

18. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Tell us Nutriattch, does Byrd have some game and was he worth us taking a chance on him? He must have been for AJ to pull the trigger. :icon_shrug:

Let's hope he plays better than he SINGS (on the right side with dreads) !!! Turable, just turable....

• Like Like x 1
  19. Boltage Bimbo

Boltage Bimbo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
  20. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
  21. Nutriaitch

Ratings:
    +16

he had a pretty good junior year.
    especially considering how much LSU spread the ball around between WRs (Doucet, LaFell, Byrd, 2 Mitchells, Toliver), RB (Keiland, Scott, Hester, Holliday, Murphy), and TE(Dickson & Zinger).

Last year was a definite step backerds.
    We had terrible QB performances most of the year, which was a big part of the problem. But he also seemed to let his frustrations get in the way, and his play dropped off a level.

He made a few pretty big plays for us though even though we only had him on campus for 2 years.
    He stepped up for us in the SEC championship game. Without him, we probably don't win that one. Same with the Alabama and Auburn games that season.

22. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    it's like mystery but when it's typed on a tiny keyboard you're not used to. :lol:

23. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Some kinda Cajun dialect?? :icon_huh: :icon_shrug:

24. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    MSNBC Article on Byrd

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/30522103/

• Like Like x 1
  25. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    It still remains a wonderful story and by all accounts he is going to recover soon, so we'd get a high rated WR in the last round who could come out and do some wonderful things on the field.

It's one of those nice moments where a smart business decision meets a good humanitarian decision

• Like Like x 1
  26. timepiece33

timepiece33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25
    If not for the accident, I like him more than I liked Buster Davis coming out of LSU. I wasn't a huge fan of Buster. He made big plays, but almost all were on crossing patterns where he could use his athleticism. I haven't seen him catch balls on the whole pattern tree. I believe the kid has some issues tracking the ball over his shoulder AND NFL CB's completely disregard his deep speed because of it.

I see Byrd getting a reprieve through a year on IR, but it was a good risk. It will be like having an extra 3rd rounder next year.

• Like Like x 1
  27. CajunlostinCali

Ratings:
    +6
    PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSST! Buster was a freshman on the 03-04 National Title team. As a true freshman he had 114 snaps.

You see, that's TWO (2) National Titles in the SAME decade, ****-***! :icon_tease:

28. Nutriaitch

Ratings:
    +16
    well, if you consider a whopping 1 catch in a game decided by fewer than 4 TDs to be "contributing", then OK, he contributed to a title.

29. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Pull the feeding tube out and get to work son. We need you.

We already have one LSU receiver on life support as it is.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Byrd making progress, happy to be a Charger

Casey Pearce
    Posted May 4, 2009

Demetrius Byrd continues to recover from the automobile accident that landed him in the hospital two weeks ago, but his spirits were lifted last weekend when the Chargers drafted him.

Two weeks after enduring a car accident that left him in the hospital, Demetrius Byrd’s main focus is regaining his health and strength. A close second on that list is delivering a strong return for the Chargers on the investment the team made in him last weekend.

“Now that I have survived an accident and was drafted by the Chargers, I have so much motivation to play with this team,” Byrd recently said through his agent David Dunn. “I appreciate the Chargers for recognizing my hard work and helping me live out this dream. I promise you that I will work hard every day on and off the field.”

Byrd, who was selected by the Chargers in the seventh round of last weekend’s draft, was recently released from the hospital and says he’s feeling much better. The 6-0, 200-pound wide receiver is “blessed to be alive” following his accident and can’t wait to join his new team.

“I’m beyond excited to be a Charger,” Byrd said. “Words can’t express how grateful I am to be part of such a great team.”

Prior to the accident, Byrd was considered a mid-round prospect. Then on April 19, he was on his way to pick up his mother for church when he lost control of his vehicle and crashed into a pole. He was rushed to a Miami hospital where he was treated for minor cuts and bruises as well as head injuries.

Byrd’s injuries aren’t life threatening, and he’s expected to make a full recovery. While he was unable to attend the team’s recent minicamp, the former LSU star said that the opportunity to eventually join the Chargers will help push him through his recovery process.

“Getting drafted gave me a lot of encouragement, especially since I’ve been looking forward to this day ever since I started playing football,” Byrd said. “I’m ready for the NFL.”

• Like Like x 2